Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Latka

Drives: 0x Yaris Hatchback
2009 Yaris "S" - no 5MT Hatchback?

When I try to configure a Yaris online with the 5MT transmission and in the "S" trim level ... I can't. I'm forced to change to the automatic transmission. Is this true that the '09 S is not available with a manual transmission? Seems kinda silly that you can only get a tachometer if you get an automatic transmission.
Latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
are you wanting a 3 dr or 5 dr?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Latka

Sorry should have specified. 2 door hatchback. That thing on the back isn't a door 'cause humans don't enter through it. ;)
Old 11-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latka View Post
Sorry should have specified. 2 door hatchback. That thing on the back isn't a door 'cause humans don't enter through it. ;)
I entered through mine yesterday...

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Dont go by the build and price thing on their website. It is wrong, you can get a sport 5MT 3dr. When I got my 08 it said the same thing and mine is a stick and an S model.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Latka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKaelin View Post
I entered through mine yesterday...
Hahahah... you were probably escaping the pursuing ninjas. In that case it's ok. ;)
Old 11-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
3-door has manual.
5-door doesn't have manual.
And 3-door S looks nice...
tetzyamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #8
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
OOOOR, you could just call a local Servco Toyota dealership and ask them.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Or its called just look at the Yaris part of their website and not the build and price part and its right there. This isn't that hard and people at the dealership are more than likely not going to know a thing.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbauer View Post
Or its called just look at the Yaris part of their website and not the build and price part and its right there. This isn't that hard and people at the dealership are more than likely not going to know a thing.
Pretty sure at least one person working there would know or could be able to get a definite answer on the transmission availability of their cars. Just because they work at a dealership doesn't mean that they don't know anything about the products they're trying to sell. My good friend's brother works at the local dealership and he knows his stuff when it comes to the cars. Some people actually learn things that they need to know to do their jobs correctly.

I feel bad for you if you have to deal with employees at your local dealership that have no idea how to do their job right. More often than not, the employees I dealt with at my local dealership knew the correct answer to any question I had.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
Latka

I was just going off of what the Toyota USA website told me. Every time I tried to select the "S" with 5MT instead of AT it forced me to change back to base trim.

I'd be a happy camper if I could get the 2 door hatchback with the "row 'yer own" transmission. Hopefully within a month. I'd like to get it this month, but school / work / house stuff might be too much.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

The website might be listing the transmission as auto only for the S lb assuming most people are looking at the 5-door which only comes in auto. Like I said, call the dealership. Much faster and you'll get a definitive answer.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
JnC

Drives: 00 VW Golf TDI
I had a similar experience. I'm a n00b to Toyota but thus far as a potential customer, I cannot buy their product. Even if I want to.

I am looking for the 1431 model: Yaris Liftback S, 3-Dr., manual transmission

According to my local dealer, there are none in my region. According to toyota.com, there are none in my region nor my surrounding region. According to the online toyota.com chat, the only place where this is available is L.A.

So for a car that's in print on a brochure and listed on their website descriptions (as well as other sites such as edmunds.com), it's not available. But at least I can log into toyota.com with an L.A. zip code and play around with the build your own configurations, right?

Backstory: The sole motivation for an "S" model is the tachometer, as I also prefer the standard manual transmission.

Yet... on the only website, where I can find the 3 Dr. in an S... it's only configurable with an automatic transmission. Yes, my friends, the only way to get a tachometer on a 3-Dr Liftback is to order the transmission that doesn't need it.

Thus far the ordering experience has been like banging your head against the wall, but without the fringe benefits.

Is this a 2009 thing? Were any of the 2008 3-Dr. Liftback S models available with a tach? Did the boat sink?

What do current manual Yaris Liftback owners do? Rely on the rev limiter? (I hope it has one or an upshift light)

(Sorry if i seem cranky, but I just lost a couple hours of my life talking to Toyota. With no answers other than to talk to the people I've already been talking to.)
JnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Well, certain regions tend to get certain models. Before the hack, we had several lively discussion about this. Toyota America will look at a potential market (east coast, west coast, south, etc.) and will determine what they think will sell the best in each specific region. If the people making the decision don't feel that a particular trim / package will sell well in that region, they strike it from the list of deliveries for that particular region. For example, I live in Hawaii, so we're not going to be getting the cold weather package as lowest temperature in the deep winter is maybe low 60s / high 50s.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #15
JnC

I can understand how that can apply to option packages. But I can't find this anywhere in a standard (manual) configuration, despite it having a dedicated model number: 1431.

Maybe it's just too early for the 2009's to be rolled out? Despite them having most of the other variants of Yarii?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #16
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnC View Post
I can understand how that can apply to option packages. But I can't find this anywhere in a standard (manual) configuration, despite it having a dedicated model number: 1431.

Maybe it's just too early for the 2009's to be rolled out? Despite them having most of the other variants of Yarii?
It's possible. We have yet to see 09 5-door S lbs on the lots. Perhaps they've just manufactured the automatic 2-door 09 S's since automatics sell better than 5-speeds.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #17
JnC

The strange thing in the Southeast region inventory websites is that no model number is given for the liftback. The description is just "Liftback".
Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #18
oilman930

Drives: 2009 Yaris S Hatchback
The Yaris S is only available in certain regions of the country without it being a special order. Namely the Southeast and Southwest regions of the country.

For the rest of the country, the Yaris S has to be special ordered. Yes, I know it is really a preference order, but the dealerships call it a special order.

The 1431 model, other wise called a Yaris S 3 door comes standard with a 5 speed manual gearbox. An automatic gearbox is an option and is model code 1432.

The five door Yaris S is model code 1472 and only comes as a automatic gearbox model.

The Southern California region mostly gets automatic cars that is why you found the automatic out there.

If you order a Yaris S be prepared for a wait of three to six months to get the car, if you are not is the South or Western part of the country.

If you want to see a Yaris S with all the variations, go to Toyota.com and click on the build a car button and put in 29603 as a zip code. This is the Greenville, South Carolina area.

Good Luck getting your Yaris S.
oilman930 is offline   Reply With Quote