Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
HTM Battle @ Lowes

I love when I find ancient video

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmeKTnRl1k
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
ah, i miss my 240!! and Lucky Duck!!
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Sorry Ken , I HAD to delete your instructors comments . IMO he wasn't that good . He wasn't very good at communicating . Whenever I've instructed people , I've always used hand signals only . Why ? B/C it is very hard to hear with helmets and open exhaust . Also most beginners don't have radios in their helmets . I use 4 hand signals . Index finger point for accelerate , Open hand to clenched fist for brake (repeating rapidly , as if grabbing a fly from mid air) , Closed fist for stop and Peace Sign for pits . Of course I would make sure that the student totally understood the signals before we went out on the track , not to mention the virtues of "shuffle steering ". Then after the session we would discuss improvements .
Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
Sorry Ken , I HAD to delete your instructors comments . IMO he wasn't that good . He wasn't very good at communicating . Whenever I've instructed people , I've always used hand signals only . Why ? B/C it is very hard to hear with helmets and open exhaust . Also most beginners don't have radios in their helmets . I use 4 hand signals . Index finger point for accelerate , Open hand to clenched fist for brake (repeating rapidly , as if grabbing a fly from mid air) , Closed fist for stop and Peace Sign for pits . Of course I would make sure that the student totally understood the signals before we went out on the track , not to mention the virtues of "shuffle steering ". Then after the session we would discuss improvements .
i do something similar to that, i do yell some as i get excited though :) i like that peace sign for pits though!! thanks DJ
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Just curious, what *are* the virtues of shuffle steering? Is it better used for autocross, because I've observed that on roadcourses, professional drivers seem to prefer the fixed arm steering technique (provided that the course isn't that tight).
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
HTM Yaris
resident senior

The virtues of shuffle steering are that it keeps a driver from getting their arms crossed . When a driver's arms get crossed it is very easy to lose control of the car . It also allows a driver to relax and concentrate on the course and not worry about fighting the wheel . It is best used in autox .

I see alot of people yank/crank the steering wheel . In their mind they think "If I yank real fast , the car will turn real fast " The truth is that most cars will never react as fast a human and usually results in understeer and/or over correction .

Pro drivers on road courses . That's a totally different ballgame . To become a pro it takes years of seat time . Pro drivers usually will drive a highly modified car or a factory car specifically designed for track use , but disguised as a street car ( EVO , STi , Lotus , etc. ) . These factory cars have much better steering inputs , not to mention better suspensions . When you have sharper inputs and better suspension you don't have to turn the wheel as much and you can get away with "stiff arming" . Also , road courses usually are not that tight as you put it .

You may have seen this vid , but you can see me employing shuffle steering ( half way decent example ) . Notice my hand don't go past the "12 o'clock " position . Also notice my thumbs are for the most part in the "thumbs up" position . Thumbs up indicate a relaxed driver . A relaxed ( not too much ) driver is always a good driver . It took me a little while to learn and use shuffle steering . I used to be one of those guys that drove with one hand on the wheel ( 12 o'clock position ) and one hand on the shifter .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920nzEj3BLA
Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i've learned that it's VERY easy to get crossed up at autocross (had an experience in the blue yaris this last weekend, caused me an off-course on my last run) especially if you're unfamiliar with the car. i'm ALWAYS at 9/3 hand position when i'm racing, but sometimes this just isn't enough, and dealing with the overly numb electro steering of the yaris (compared to my hydraulic rack in the xA) i found myself over-compensating mid corner. which immediately caused severe understeer and scrubbed off important momentum.

lesson learned, don't expect every small car to react like the one you're used to driving ;)

good thread
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote