Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Urgent! How to use auto transmission?

The local dealer called me that there is a Yaris automatic transmission available to have a test drive.

Frankly, I have never driven a car that is automatic transmission. ( don't laugh at me:))

Can anybody tell me how I can use the automatic transmission?

THX!!!!!!
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Basically put in in P to park it, R to go in Reverse, and D the rest of the way. You just press the gas to go or the brake when stopping/stop at a light. As easy as it gets...
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
wow, and here I thought all americans knew that

Anyway I'm not 100% surte on the yaris but you have several different positions for the gearshift:

P - Park - use this when you park the car, in addition to the normal handbrake
R - Reverse, self-explanatory
N - N neutral, just like on a manual
D - Drive, the normal automatic mode, put it in the gear, press the gas, and don't worry about anything else
3 and 2 - these limit the maximum gear that your gearbox will engage. For example, when going up a hill, you do not want the car to try to go into 4th, or it just won't have the power to climb, so you limit it to 3rd gear, or 2nd for extreme cases. These can also be used to force the gearbox to shift down when you are in 4th, and approaching a turn, like using the engine to brake on a manual transmission. Keep in mind there is usually a little bit of lag between moving the gear stick and the actual change, so think ahead. For a test drive, though, you should not have to worry about these

That's about it, there's nothing really specific to know about it, which is why it's so popular, who wants to use their brain while driving, right?
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
hans_fh

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Yup thats y i drive an auto, its easy and lazy!!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #6
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22
Yup thats y i drive an auto, its easy and lazy!!
and boring too!
tekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 AM   #7
hans_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe
and boring too!
that's why I have driven manual transmission for years:)
Old 10-20-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Oh i wish i drove manual now...(sarcasm)
Old 04-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #9
WarpSpeed

Drives: Yaris 1.3 Auto
Auot Tranmission

I got a Yaris recently,and i've noticed the auto doesnt perform as well as the manual,for eg.normally lets say at so and so speed,a slight tap to the pedal will show a corrsponding jump in the car in response to the petrol give,but this car gives no response!i try tappin the pedal but the car continues at same spped as though i never tuched the acc pedal!
So i jut want to know when i can use the 3 gear from D.for eg when i'm at 100 kph and want to pass another car,can i shift to 3 and do the passin or will it damage the gearbox?or can i do tht only for speeds under 80,coz i did try shiftin to 3 at around 100kph and the car showed no difference.

Anyonecan help me here??
WarpSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:44 AM   #10
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
To Warpspeed: Yes.

For this thread:

Huh? No, really: Huh?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #11
WarpSpeed

Drives: Yaris 1.3 Auto
Old chinese sayin:A man who asks is a fool for 5 sceconds but a man who doesnt ask is a fool forEver!
Gimme a break maan!
WarpSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
rningonfumes

Haha, that wasn't towards you.

Shifting the Auto into a lower gear for more passing power is perfectly fine as long as you don't force the tranny to make up for big differences in speed. ie... asking the thing to drop to 2nd while you are still at 100kph.

...but I think the computer still has a dummy guard against someone who wants to drop gears into drastically lower gears. And to this I would ask if anyone wants to be the one with enough courage and/or large pocket book to try.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
lol The manual of any car will perform better than the automatic version......

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
rningonfumes

hehe, of course but that wasn't his question.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
Yariz
Banned

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
wow, and here I thought all americans knew that

That's about it, there's nothing really specific to know about it, which is why it's so popular, who wants to use their brain while driving, right?

Please refrain from negative comments about Americans. Also FYI, in domestic an AT is usually better... Especially if you plan on saving money in the long run. No clutches to replace, and it lasts longer. Also (as in America) where drag racing is popular an AT can be a good choice with the right shift kit.

Thanks for not speaking of the US that way. Also I am from Texas, and we do not play around with our Country and State pride. It is almost a religion. So if you want to be reported keep it up.

Thanks,
Yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
Yariz
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
lol The manual of any car will perform better than the automatic version......

Not really, it depends on the application... If you are running a domestic with heavy parts, and you are dragging a C6 3-Spd Transmission will shift better than any human with the right kit.

But on our car, and little ricers yeah i agree.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yariz View Post
Please refrain from negative comments about Americans. Also FYI, in domestic an AT is usually better... Especially if you plan on saving money in the long run. No clutches to replace, and it lasts longer. Also (as in America) where drag racing is popular an AT can be a good choice with the right shift kit.

Thanks for not speaking of the US that way. Also I am from Texas, and we do not play around with our Country and State pride. It is almost a religion. So if you want to be reported keep it up.

Thanks,
Ummm, coming from an American (who lives abroad), how was his comment offensive in the least? I think you're being just a touch sensitive there buddy.

Being that the overwhelming majority of cars sold in America are automatics, and that the vast majority of people have no idea how to drive manuals, it's a reasonable assumption (and not judgemental) that every would know how to drive automatics. If anything, it is a COMPLIMENT assuming that everyone would know. Assuming that Americans are ignorant would be judgemental, and thus negative. So you're saying you'd rather have him say that he thought most Americans DIDN'T know how to drive automatic?

Also, "better" is a subjective word. In the long run, depending on if you know how to properly drive a manual transmission, it can last just as long as an auto. And the good thing is that repairs are LESS costly on a manual than an auto. Sure there is no clutch to replace on an auto, but try swapping out a planetary gearset and then get back to me. Overhauling a manual is far easier than an auto. Also, the initial cost of a manual is less, and you also get a fuel savings. Whatever is "better" depends on what your particular needs are; both options are perfectly fine.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
Yariz
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Ummm, coming from an American (who lives abroad), how was his comment offensive in the least? I think you're being just a touch sensitive there buddy.

Being that the overwhelming majority of cars sold in America are automatics, and that the vast majority of people have no idea how to drive manuals, it's a reasonable assumption (and not judgemental) that every would know how to drive automatics. If anything, it is a COMPLIMENT assuming that everyone would know. Assuming that Americans are ignorant would be judgemental, and thus negative. So you're saying you'd rather have him say that he thought most Americans DIDN'T know how to drive automatic?

Also, "better" is a subjective word. In the long run, depending on if you know how to properly drive a manual transmission, it can last just as long as an auto. And the good thing is that repairs are LESS costly on a manual than an auto. Sure there is no clutch to replace on an auto, but try swapping out a planetary gearset and then get back to me. Overhauling a manual is far easier than an auto. Also, the initial cost of a manual is less, and you also get a fuel savings. Whatever is "better" depends on what your particular needs are; both options are perfectly fine.

Good to see you have an opinion, just an fyi I am not gonna read it, lots of words and stuff IDC about. But I just should let you know I only mentioned it b/c I have seen it in other places on forums with foreign cars. And I am not going to argue tranny stuff with a stranger. I had the original tranny in my car longer than most people in here have had one...