Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
mrrock

Drives: yaris 2dr hatch
Synthetic oil for transmission

Has anyone put synthetic in their transmission. I'm thinking about it, as my transmission is just a little notchy going into first, third and 5th.
Looking to see if it make any difference. I know Honda did a recall one one of their cars and had synthetic put in to improve the feel.
anybody try yet
mrrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Is it a little more firm to shift when it's cold? Synthetic greatly helped my five speed Tacoma slip into gear more easily. I would wait 10,000-15,000 miles to let it break in just as you would with your engine before switching. Maybe just wait untill it's first recommended service and switch then.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I have not crawled under my 07 LB yet and do not know where the fill/drain plugs are for the 5 speed. Does anyone have a pic from manual, or other resource handy?

Thanks in advance!
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #4
Houckster
I've made a post!

Drives: Ford Ranger
It is not necessary to wait to install a true synthetic lubricant. Modern engines are almost completely broken in out the door of the factory. I installed synthetic lubricants in my current ride at 780 miles and have consumed only 4 oz. of oil in the 30K miles since. Manual transmissions can also benefit immediately from a synthetic lube.

The Yaris is a very interesting car and I'm looking for a second set of wheels for when the Ranger's abilities are not needed.
Houckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
I've got a 1986 Toyota MR2 with 290,000 miles. That's not a typo.
The 85-86 MR2s have the C50 transmission, which is the same transmission you'll find in your brand new Yaris. I was quite shocked to find this out while peeking under my GF's new liftback. Toyota must know the C50 is an awesome transmission if they're still using it. I'm still using mine =p

Anyway, I replaced my tranny fluid with Redline MT-90 about 10k miles ago, and it made an INSTANT difference. It's GL-4, which is what our trannies call for, so there are no worries about long-term damage with this stuff. (I've heard stories about other fluids of the wrong type being dangerous for our synchros in the long run).

The MT-90 almost completely cured my cold-shift crunch (keep in mind I have almost 300 thousand miles), not to mention significantly smoothing out the rest of my shifting. It didn't transform my beat-to-hell (it is a sports car, after all) tranny into brand new, but it was DEFINITELY worth it.

MT-90 is supposed to be much better than other oils at lubricating and protecting the synchronizers. I believe it, and I highly recommend it.

Note--
I don't think switching to MT-90 will have as substantial an effect on your shiny new trannies as it did for my old one. But I'd bet if my MR2 had been filled with MT-90 since new (not that MT-90 was out in the 80s), it would be much nicer today.

Now I just gotta convice my girlfriend to spend the extra few bucks to upgrade. I ordered mine on amazon.com. Looks like the seller I bought it from is out, but just search mt90 and mt-90 and you'll find others. It seems to be tough to find in stores.

Last edited by GuySmily; 04-24-2007 at 04:25 AM.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
I have not crawled under my 07 LB yet and do not know where the fill/drain plugs are for the 5 speed. Does anyone have a pic from manual, or other resource handy?

Thanks in advance!
there is a drain plug just like the engine oil, but I have not checked for the fill hole yet
Old 04-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Regardless of what others say, transmissions and differentials NEED to be broken in. They wear-in so much that most have a magnetic drain plug from the factory to catch all the metal shavings. Also, they are unlike an engine in that they are gear to gear driven. Sure they are made better than ever today, but why waste natural resources just so you can switch early? Wait untill the first service (15K), you save oil and it's better for your car in the long run.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
If you can't find it GRIND IT! That is when synthetic in a manual tranny will pay off too. I will go synthetic in my Auto at about 20K miles. Definately clean the drain plug of the metal filings when changing.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote