Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
15 x 5 's

I am going to call the experts(tirerack and or discountire) when I am ready to buy. I just wanted to check here and see if our stock tires, 185/60 15, would fit ok on a 15x5 wheel since our stock steelie is 15x5.5. I am almost certain that 15x5 would work and it might actually be the smallest wheel possible for this tire. Just want to check with some of the tire/wheel gods in here first.
Before you think I am so crazy for buying a rim that is more narrow than stock. I am just doing it for mpg's. The tire itself should still have the same foot print as before, but I am thinking handling might actually go down a notch from the sidewall flexing a little more.....maybe.
Maybe again, the lighter wheel would make up for the added flex. Stock steelie is about 14.5lbs?? I am looking at getting a 10.6lb wheel.
Thanks in advance

All praise and flames welcome
Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
Just incase anyone was wondering, this is the wheel.
Yes, they do have it in 15x6.5, but that combo would come in at 14lbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15 x 5 10.6lbs.jpg (29.6 KB, 110 views)
Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Yeah, that'll work fine. Since you're purely going for MPG, you might even consider a 175 width tire.

Spent some time driving an old Tercel recently with 145 width tires... it's about a 400 pound lighter car, but I never really missed having fatter tires on the street. Just had to be aware that the limits were far less than my modified Yaris. I actually enjoyed feeling the car at the limit in places where the Yaris would just sail through without a thought. It was fun, sort of like driving a classic sports car.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
15" steelie is about 16lbs...

skinnier/lighter might help in-city mpgs a bit, will definitely add some zip to the acceleration though!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Yeah, that'll work fine. Since you're purely going for MPG, you might even consider a 175 width tire.

Spent some time driving an old Tercel recently with 145 width tires... it's about a 400 pound lighter car, but I never really missed having fatter tires on the street. Just had to be aware that the limits were far less than my modified Yaris. I actually enjoyed feeling the car at the limit in places where the Yaris would just sail through without a thought. It was fun, sort of like driving a classic sports car.
w/ the oem 175-65-14 tires that came on my yaris you could definitely feel the limits as well....was kinda nice....mpg's were really good too
Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
185's will fit wheels between 4.5 and 7.0 inches wide.

This information is in our wheel and tire guide.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5021
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
will a 185 on a 7" wheel look stretched? most tires i look at online only recommend their 185's up to 6.5". the oem goodyear eagle ls seems to be the exception listing it acceptable on both tirerack's and goodyear's websites. just figuring i can save a few bucks and mount the goodyears i already have to an aftermarket wheel till the treadwear is worn-out on them.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Toad, given the cost of dismounting/mounting tires, you'd be better off to just buy appropriate new tires for your 15x7's and sell your stock wheels/tires to some frugal soul for $150-200. Paying to have those tires remounted is a waste of money.

The value is especially good if you order the wheels and tires from an online outfit that will mount/balance for free.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote