Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
mr_thunder16

Drives: fiances 2007 yaris sedan
Help! MES power lock install question

I am currently half finished with the install of the MES Central locks with Avital 3100 Alarm and ran into an issue on my 2007 sedan 4-door. I have all of the actuators in place and wired and I also have the alarm in and wired (parking lights, siren and dome light on when disarming not wired yet but it is monitoring the dome light if it lights the alarm will go off.). the problem i have is that when i use the manual push/pull or the key fob to unlock the doors they unlock for 1 second and return to the locked position and stay there. then i lock it with the remote and nothing happens because it would lock them but they are already locked. i grabbed the test light and found that i am getting a ground on one of the blue/red that moves the actuator out (unlocked) then immediately another ground pulse through the other color causing the actuator to return back in and lock it. i am not with the car this second, it is at my fathers where the tools are or i would have a better description of the colors that are providing the ground pulses that cause the locking. basically i can't keep the actuator in the unlocked position, it returns to locked immediately. all of the wiring diagrams i found are for the valet 712t system and not applicable to this system with the alarm. any info is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

-do i have a bad brain in my system?
-do i have one of the actuators wired backwards?
-should the kit only produce 1 ground pulse per push of the button or with the manual lock/unlock?
-or does the kit provide + all of the time when the doors are unlocked and - when locked?
mr_thunder16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Looking back at some notes from when I remotely helped one of the Hawaii crew install the kit on his Yaris, it is very easy to damage the MES relay. Once damaged, his relay exhibited the same symptoms as what you are experiencing.

Can you post some pictures of your wiring to the MES relay and to the actuators? Also, can you scan and post the diagram that came with the kit? (I thought I had it, but it looks like I purged it out of my PMs.)
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
mr_thunder16

ok i have it all done and this is what i found... my father started the install without me when i was at work so when i got there i got to the car the actuators were all installed already. he showed me an actuator that was already in the drivers door (presumably installed by the dealer so they can show interiors without having to get the keys). so on the install in this door he did NOT do it the same as all of the other doors by using the cable and stripping it down to the center wire, he used the rod from the actuator and hooked it into the plastic on the back of the manual lock/unlock button. this was how the other actuator was in and it seemed to work so he moved on to the others.

in troubleshooting i found that if the drivers door was removed from the power locks they worked correctly so we knew it was somewhere in that door that was the problem. we removed the rod from the back of the lock and installed it the was it is supposed to be installed and now it works perfectly! i we aren't sure what exactly caused this but we know how to fix it now.

Huge thanks to CTScott and RUFFSTUFF for the help and to this whole site for all of the info! this is my fiance's car and i wouldn't have attempted this install without the DIY's. keep up the good work everyone!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Did you buy this car new or used? If it was used then the previous owner could have installed it. When he sold it, he could have gutted it to sell the parts or to put on a new car. He could have forgot to remove the motor from the drivers side.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
mr_thunder16

it was pre-owned by only 1 owner and i really don't think she was capable of anything like that but who knows. under the dash on the driver side close to the door there is a plug and a bunch of wires that are not factory installed and have been taped up. the plug looks like it would fit the white plug that is under the dash on the driver side that is factory installed. the dealers here always install some king of security system in it and try to get you to buy it and they "remove" it if you don't. this looks like a crappy install/uninstall job by the dealer for convenience but i'll never know now.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
wow that sucks
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote