Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Summer -vs- Winter ''Hot Key''

I remember reading a thread and I believe it was back in the summer time about how HOT the ignition and key gets. So I started the touchie-feelie thing and sure enough, it was fricken HOT!! It made me wonder WTF?? Now its November and its getting colder, so I started the touchie-feelie thing again and its ice cold no matter day or night. HHUUMMM?? WTF??
Back in summer time I did make an observation of where the steering column and ignition area was located in relation to the roofline (windshield) area and it was ALWAYS in direct sunlight. So, 108°F summer day, with the windows up it could possibly reach 120°F inside after 8 to 10 hours at that temp. So during the commute home, there wasn't enough time for the interior (mass) to completely cool so the metal of the ignition appeared to always be hot. Again I conducted the same experiment now in cooler weather and the results are completely opposite. Hot weather = Hot Key. Cold weather = Cold Key.
Based on my findings I dont believe there is a wiring or circut related issue with this anomoly. The only other thing I could do is to install a temporary thermocouple on the ignition and take temp readings before my commute and after reaching my destination. Do this for a week or two and document the results, then wait till summer and repeat the test. Then we would have a definate answer to this. Again just the the touchie - feelie test.
What observations have you guys made?? Anything close to mine??
Or anything from Toyota on this??
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Good job!
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Maybe thats why the ignition keys has a plastic handle to insulate you from the hot-cold?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote