Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Underdrive Pulley + Blitz

It just occurred to me to ask.. Since I have one of the old NST 10% underdrive pulleys installed, am I also underdriving my Blitz? Would I be better off getting one of the MI OEM sized pulleys to swap in?

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Do you have a boost gauge, as that would let you see any effect from the underdrive. The Blitz seems to be internally limited to 6 psi, so the only effect you would see is the boost being developed 10% later.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
47_MasoN_47

Boost gauge usually shows about .7kpa

So it would just delay the boost slightly rather than giving me 10% less boost? That makes sense actually.

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You are getting less boost, and later. You're S/C pulley is now turning more slowly at all times than it would with an OEM sized pulley. 10% is the diameter. You'd probably have to do some wicked math to convert that to the difference in rpm's.

You should get the MI pulley and enjoy full on-demand boost AND lighter weight with your s/c.

Scott, how is the blitz blower limited to 6psi? I'm unfamiliar with the inner workings I have to admit. We know of at least one user who had a fixed underdrive pulley made for the Blitz, and another had an overdrive crank made for it. Both increased horsepower.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
You are getting less boost, and later. You're S/C pulley is now turning more slowly at all times than it would with an OEM sized pulley. 10% is the diameter. You'd probably have to do some wicked math to convert that to the difference in rpm's.

You should get the MI pulley and enjoy full on-demand boost AND lighter weight with your s/c.

Scott, how is the blitz blower limited to 6psi? I'm unfamiliar with the inner workings I have to admit. We know of at least one user who had a fixed underdrive pulley made for the Blitz, and another had an overdrive crank made for it. Both increased horsepower.
I have no idea as to how it is limited, but once it gets to 6 psi the boost gauge never climbs any further. It may be some type of internal wastegate or it may just be something to do with how the paddles work.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
47_MasoN_47

I'll have to snag one of those MI pulleys. Ugh at having to redo those freaking belts again, lol.