Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Thewayiseeit240

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
2007 yaris

I'm looking at a 2007 yaris 2dr today. Anything I should look for mechanical, interior or exterior? I have automotive knowledge, would like to get opinions and extra knowledge about the yaris.
I'll bring my scan tool just in case.

They are asking $3900 with a 104,000 miles. Automatic.

Thank you.
Thewayiseeit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Most common issue with that model is the water pump. If it's making noises that it shouldn't be, or you can see coolant leaking/crystallizing down the block, then that'll need to be changed.

I have an '07 2 door and have had to replace the water pump, alternator, steering rack (I suspect from having been backed into by a friend while parked, early in the car's life), starter and driver side axle seal (transmission side). Minor things over the course of nearly 10 years --and the car never left me anywhere, it just let me know those things needed changing. All in all, these cars are extremely reliable.

Recalls include the Takata airbags, passenger seat cable/spring and seat belt insulation. All stuff you can check to have been done, or have done yourself at no cost once you take possession. The only other thing I can think of that's worth mentioning is the control arm bolts. One of the TSB's called them out in areas that have snow/salt on the roads. Apparently, they are susceptible to rust and then breakage. Several folks in the colder areas have gotten ahead of it and had them replaced. I'm in CA, so it's never been an issue for me.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
Thewayiseeit240

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
How's the steering in a yaris? Do they have some play or slack in them? I had a Saturn recently that it was normal to have some slack in them, even when being aligned.
What about timing, is it chain or belt? Recommended interval?
Thank you for bringing that up about control arms and the bolts. I might just end up replacing a bunch of suspension parts, no big deal and spray undercoating on a lot of parts. I live in a cold/snow state.
Thewayiseeit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Timing chain.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
as stated above, check for any coolant (pink) seepage or crusting under the hood/ on the block.

I've only had to replace my water pump (prior to my 2zr swap) and both axle seals (one at 160k km and another at 180k km). Otherwise no issues.

I'd put the car on ramps to check for oil leaks anywhere as well as the rust/condition of the undercarriage. Make sure all seams line up symmetrically
Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewayiseeit240 View Post
How's the steering in a yaris? Do they have some play or slack in them? I had a Saturn recently that it was normal to have some slack in them, even when being aligned.
What about timing, is it chain or belt? Recommended interval?
Thank you for bringing that up about control arms and the bolts. I might just end up replacing a bunch of suspension parts, no big deal and spray undercoating on a lot of parts. I live in a cold/snow state.
No play in the steering. They are drive by wire, so no power steering fluid and I did notice it took a little more work to keep it on center than my '98 Civic LX did. That was on the stock wheels/tires. I quickly went for a good set of aftermarket wheels and tires, which completely resolved it.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote