Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
This Site is going wayyyy down hill!

I have noticed we are losing all of our great members who really pushed the limits on these cars..... Its sucks to see everyone going away. No offense but most new members dont know squat about cars, do tacky mods and just buy the Yaris because its the cheapest thing they could find or the only car they can afford! You dont see that over on Fit Freak or ClubYarisUK or MicroImage. Also the owners of this site dont promote vendors, dont update it at all! Its just awful, if you dont like the Yaris anymore and dont own one give the site to someone else who cares! Obviously you dont! If it werent for MicroImage there would be none of this. The thing on here is tacky wheels, neons, bad graphics and who gets the best MPG, or its the post well I dont know if i should do this mod, it might be to much and its a damn Short Throw or exhaust thread!!!!!!! This place used to be so much fun to get on! Its very sad when people have to post on the European Yaris sites to enjoy the community. I know there are a lot of others on here that feel the same way and 4 or 5 of them have already talked to me about it. I really hope something is done with the site cause we are losing great members. Just look at the FS threads. Its sad really to see whats happening! Im sorry to make the new people feel bad, but either you get with it or get out, this community is being ruined by stupid crap. We need people to push the limits again, I was just talking to a memeber on the phone last night about his land speed racing and all the plans he has for next year with the motor build! Thats what this place used to be like all the time! Now its losing that excitment! Lets get this community back on track people, its been too long that we have sat back and watched it start falling apart! Again im just angry about this site not being taken care of and how stupid little things are taking the Yaris down to a very low level!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
sorry guy, all sites go like that

in another year or two people will be able to pick up used yarii super cheap and therefore do crazy stuff again

keep in mind, this is just an econo car. people buy it to commute and get good mileage...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
lolz @ comment from OP.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Haaaa I knew it!!! ROFLMAO
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Wow.

Some people buy cars for transport.

You can visit Microimage forums to get your speed/mod fix.

Return key. Use it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Wow.

Some people buy cars for transport.

You can visit Microimage forums to get your speed/mod fix.

Return key. Use it.
this^
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Yea i feel a bit better! Sorry for venting but man, seeing everyone leave is just crappy, most of the guys that are leaving are the ones who made this community what it is today and they are leaving due to some of the reasons mentioned above. Probably 90% of people think this car is for good MPG's while the other 10% mods them seriously. While some of you think this is funny, it really isnt. This forum will not be around if things keep up this way cause members are going away due to the lack of support and the owners not giving a shit..... New members have no clue about this stuff. We all need to take this message as a motivator and really sit back and look at whats going on here. It would be awesome to have some more vendors on here, even though MI has everything for us! But at least give Garm a nice looking vendor section, he does everything for us! A few of you that laughed should honestly know what im talking about since youve been around to see changes take place. Im not trying to be a dick, but it would awesome to see this place get booming again and possibly get some new updated looks??? Maybe an Updated front entrance page? I mean who else wants to see this stuff? Maybe we can get some changes made
Again sorry for venting guys.....I came off like a jerk, but im trying to make my point clear! We need to get some stuff going around here! Yes Thebarber is right, give it a few years, but how many of us want to wait around that long? haha
Old 10-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Haaaa I knew it!!! ROFLMAO
Haha you know shits going to hit the fan when I make a post in this section, like usual i make a big BANG around here!!!!

Sorry for coming off as a jerk
Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
sorry guy, all sites go like that

in another year or two people will be able to pick up used yarii super cheap and therefore do crazy stuff again

keep in mind, this is just an econo car. people buy it to commute and get good mileage...
Dont part out!!!!!!!! Stay
Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
jekqmb
As one of the newer members you refer too please allow me to reply. Firstly as one of the older members here, in age, I am not interested at all in crazy mods, lowering, debadging, crazy cambers, turbos etc but I do respect those that do these things to thier cars and enjoy reading about them. I especially enjoy forum members photos of thier cars and thier mods. I didn't even buy my Yaris but inherited it when my Father died. It is an '07 sedan and was 14 months old and had 14000kms on it when I received it. I have grown to love it as a great car. My interest lies in being able to maintain my car (cars as I have three) in the best condition I can - I regard that I know more than "squat" about cars but can always learn more.
I like to think that I can respect the views and interests of others on the forum that may differ from my own. Long live Yarisworld!!!
regards Muz
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muzza View Post
jekqmb
As one of the newer members you refer too please allow me to reply. Firstly as one of the older members here, in age, I am not interested at all in crazy mods, lowering, debadging, crazy cambers, turbos etc but I do respect those that do these things to thier cars and enjoy reading about them. I especially enjoy forum members photos of thier cars and thier mods. I didn't even buy my Yaris but inherited it when my Father died. It is an '07 sedan and was 14 months old and had 14000kms on it when I received it. I have grown to love it as a great car. My interest lies in being able to maintain my car (cars as I have three) in the best condition I can - I regard that I know more than "squat" about cars but can always learn more.
I like to think that I can respect the views and interests of others on the forum that may differ from my own. Long live Yarisworld!!!
regards Muz

Its not the members like you, its been discussed in more ways then one in PM's, its just we need to get something going to start motivating guys again to really do some cool stuff. I know the economy sucks and all, but any huge plans of a Yarisworld meet go down the list to where you cant find them anymore, there is no ride of the month, no giveaway contests, this is all stuff that really brings a forum together cause you start looking forward to stuff and you want to check this site out all the time for the newest updates! Especially with the new gen 3 coming out, I think its time for a site update so we can prepare for all the new guys! I really hope a lot of members who read all this see where im coming from and that it was not intended to be a rude ignorant post.
I honestly think we need a paypal donation to the site so we can get a lot of this stuff going if the mods would be willing to do the updates for us! Or we can get some new moderators that are voted in to help the other mods out so that we are capable of making all these updates????
Jake
Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i feel the same way too, but there are some good points, as the yaris IS one of the cheapest cars out there. I personally believe on modding the crap out of the car to be unique. Sure, its an eco-car, but barber said it right. Yaris will eventually get cheaper will be a great buy in 2+ years, so they'll start modding.

Im also tired of reading "I GOT MY EXHAUST!!11" and "WHAT SHOULD I DO??" threads, but its better than nothing, and shows the forum is still going.

I don't know about other areas, but here where i live, yaris LBs are very very rare, as i see MUCH more versas, sedans and fiat 500s than yaris LBs on the streets. I take pride on having my modified yaris because of its rarity here, and shock people on how good it can actually look. :)

I also hang with scikotics, most of the time, except for scikotic shows that are all snobby with SCION only meets, lol.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #13
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
jekqmb and enviri
I can see where you guys are coming from. I have no intention of modding my car but am certainly interested to read what you plan to do with yours. We all have different interests and expectations in life. I will be lurking with interest to read of your exploits.
regards to you both Muz
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Yes, by virtue of its versatility, this little car can be anything to anyone... from cheap grocery-getter to lightweight racecar, the possibilities are limitless. But to be entirely realistic, the percentage of people who are going to sink a significant amount of money into modifying the car is very small. It's the nature of the beast, really!

Anyway I'll be making an update post for my car in a couple of weeks which should make you guys drool a bit

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Well I hate to burst your bubble but this particular forum wasn't made just for the Yaris elite... I joined here in 09 when I bought my Yaris. Knew very little about cars other than the basic stuff. I've learned a lot here, and most if it is by asking the n00b questions. There are those people here who just expect everyone to automatically know everything. IMO that's stupid. I came to this forum to learn, and I continue to do so. I'm not sorry that I made an exhaust and wheels thread. For me, those are big things. I'm still a n00b when it comes to cars, as they are a tertiary hobby for me. I bought the Yaris because it was the most economical vehicle on the market at the time, when I found out there were parts available for it I've done some work on it and it looks like a totally different vehicle now. I wouldn't have been able to do any of that if it wasn't for asking "dumb" questions about "how to do $carMod" and "what do I do now?"

My primary interest is firearms. I know a lot about those and have 30 something. I used to moderate HiPointFirearmsForums before it got bought out a couple months ago, and I've moved on to another forum now. While there are those of us rocking $3000 custom built suppressed AR-15s there are also those who don't know a Glock from a Lorcin. Forums are generally composed of all types of people from all levels of knowledge, and that's what gives the place diversity and keeps the hobby growing. If you want a cool kid club with you and 10 or whatever other 1337 car h4xx0rz then it's going to be just that. After a while there's nothing left to do and it gets boring. It may aggravate you when people ask n00b questions, but without n00bs there would be no growth. I doubt that even the grand wizard himself, CTScott, came forth from the womb with a multimeter and a soldering iron busting out ECUs.

Bit of a rant yes, but as a long time forumer stuff like this just kinda grates on my nerves.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #16
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
... it was not intended to be a rude ignorant post.
It came off as one. Like Barber pointed out, the crowds will return.

When I visit this site I do it because I want to check the hyper-miler posts and also to see who painted what this week. To see if anybody has posted a new DIY project that doesn't cost much or who has done an old DIY with a new twist. People aren't here to entertain me so I could give a shit what they post about. If I find it interesting, I read it. If I think its mindless drivel, I skip it.

Of course I want to see the real performance mods were done and there are plenty posted here. While my main focus is trying to squeeze a little more power out of my car with out breaking the bank, I don't demand it from a forum that caters to the everyday Joe or Jane Yaris Driver.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I think I'm an old timer in this forum (not age wise). But the majority of people here don't want or plan to do anything big to their cars. Majority of car forums are like that. I'm on 8thCivic, and majority of people there stick to the basic mods. Now, I'm not saying that people should stop pushing the limit of our cars (or any car for that matter) because it is because of people pushing the limits that cars models are brought here in the US (i.e. how the Civic Si, Integra Type-R, etc was decided to be sold here). And like everyone mentioned, the economy is hitting everyone hard. That means less money for gas to get to meets, let alone modding cars (I've stopped modding my car because of this, but I still go to NorCal Yaris meets). People also have or have started families, which then become priority over car modding. There are a lot of factors. lol. But I'm on the fence about admin activity. I like how chill YW is. Head over to 8thCivic, and the admins and mods have their panties in a bunch if anything it out of the rules; i.e. posting anything not related to a Civic for sale, or posting outside the marketplace that you are looking for something or selling something.

I don't post much here (or any other forum for that matter) much now-a-days because, well, I have nothing new to add. lol. If I see something that I can answer or what not, I'll chime in, aside from that, I'm just lurking.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Another point that has been mentioned, a good chunk of people bought the Yaris for it's fuel efficiency. I know I did, without the intention of modding it ever (well, that went down the drain). lol. I'm also more for squeezing a little more power out of the 1NZ without breaking the bank.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote