Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #19
alias06

Drives: 2008 Red Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
Coilovers can help with straight line drag racing. Depending on how they're setup, you can improve your traction on launch and reduce "bob" while shifting gears which keeps the wheels planted so more power to the pavement. Minimal improvement on an underpowered car like the Yaris but milliseconds count.
Yes a well set-up suspension can help anywhere, but switching from a good spring/strut combo to an off-the-shelf setup isn't going to make a huge difference.
alias06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #20
ccyaris

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3 Door 5 S
Installed KYB AJX, good range settings 1-5, keep it on 1 for daily driving, and won’t shake out your dentures.
ccyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:09 AM   #21
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I wanted coil overs in a way, but because I tow and carry weight sometimes, went with the stiffer (and taller) springs, the Mexican rough road from Yota. I also put the TRD struts n shocks, n changed the sway bar end links while apart.
Handles great and is everything I wanted and one thing I didn't want, high speed lift. Over 85 mph, the front took me a few months to get used to, as the raising of the center of gravity made it handle differently, and lift at higher speeds. I think I can counter this with a custom lower sitting front lip, but try and not hang out at the high speeds unless I have drift space. After driving a couple months, I seemed to have gotten used to the new way it handles, and if I didn't tow anything, would have just went with TRD lowering springs.
Of course I wanted the dual adjustable coil overs, but couldn't justify the expense as I don't race it on a circuit, just A to B and the fun.
Ideally, I would have just changed rear shocks and went with stiffer spring rates same height, but no one makes that unless custom, also higher dollar than wanted.
In the end, because of towing or weight carrying, my mix is good for me and I am happy overall.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote