Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
SRS warning light and dealership fun :)

I spent 3 1/2 hours and $120 at my local toyota dealership today and they accomplished TWO things for me.

1. Replaced the top bolt on the alternator. Apparently I don't know my own strength and I weakened it enough that it broke off... while I was driving. I heard a rattle one morning and upon investigation I found the bolt head bouncing around on the plastic under belly. ( or it was a weak bolt in the first place... there was rust on the inside of it!)

2. Diagnosed the SRS warning light and informed me that I need a new spiral cable ( I think that's what they called it ) in the steering wheel column. A $312 piece of wire and plastic as I understand it. I asked them not to order that piece.

I think I only got charged for labor and the diagnostics test. When I inquired about the warranty covering it they politely, but forcibly, explained why the warranty did not cover this. There was no rust on the bolt still stuck in the alternator. And the 60,000 mile/60 month Safety Restraint coverage only includes the physical seat belts and the actual air bag. It does not include any of the wiring or electronics involved. <- that's when I decided I still loathed that place as much as I did 4 years ago.

Side note... I thought since they were going to take the alternator out anyways I could get them to install my other two pulleys for me while they were in there. I knew I would have to pay the labor charges for that extra, and I mentioned that as well. Turns out they were too *busy* to do that... I also asked if they could just show me how to get one of the wire connections loose, cause I can't figure it out. They wouldn't do that either because they were too *busy*.

I say ALL of that to ask a question. Does anyone know where I can get this spiral cable for less that $312? And how can I replace this by myself? If it can't happen... I'll just be without airbags like back in the day with my '86 Crown Vic!

And those two connections on the alternator. One of the just unplugs when u push the tab in. The other one has a gray plastic cap surrounding it. Can anyone explain how to get that off? I was afraid I'd break something if I kept forcing it and not be able to get it to reattach properly.
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Here's a video that I put together on removing the headlight stalk, but it also covers removing the clockspring (spiral cable):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgWSzVeILhc

I don't see any on ebay at the moment, but you can try car-parts.com to see if there is a junkyard with one.

Out of curiosity, did they tell you what the actual error code was for the SRS?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsladaritz View Post
And the 60,000 mile/60 month Safety Restraint coverage only includes the physical seat belts and the actual air bag. It does not include any of the wiring or electronics involved. <- that's when I decided I still loathed that place as much as I did 4 years ago.

:
That is false.

Safety systems, from the sensor in the front to the airbag and all electronics
that are part of the safety system, must be covered. go after them, but first check with your State and the laws and BBB and bring the hammer down on them. call the newspaper, write an email. make a fuss (but be nice)
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
That is false.

Safety systems, from the sensor in the front to the airbag and all electronics
that are part of the safety system, must be covered. go after them, but first check with your State and the laws and BBB and bring the hammer down on them. call the newspaper, write an email. make a fuss (but be nice)
nice is boring, but usually doesn't get it done. Be nice and polite and first, but don't be afraid to destroy the dealership.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
So which came first? The ass hole dealer or the ass hole customer?
oh the dealer came first. I mean the stories of what car dealers use to be able to get away with is just insane.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I hate car dealerships. My Toyota dealer won't order parts for me. I gave them the part number for the double din dash and they said that "it didn't exist". They said there was no way to replace the factory radio in the Yaris. I showed them pictures from here of people doing it and they said that it must be a custom job. I was like wtfbro? and ordered one from somewhere on the Intert00bz.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
You see, my dealer here is pretty good. It really does vary from one to the next:)

I walked in one day with a TRD part, they have never seen me before ever, and I ask "hey got some time to put this on?". No appointment.

He looks in the bay, says yep no problem. Mind you this was at like 4pm and they close at 5pm.

Any time I go in there they are always good to me - and I didn't even buy my car there!
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
my question, how exactly did the clockspring get broken? should not be possible unless it was taken apart(and then put back together wrong)

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Well I have done plenty with my car dealing with electronic components, but I have never been inside the steering wheel column... Here's what it is on my invoice:

B SUP. RESTRAINT SYS. LIGHT IS ON.
CAUSE: B1801 DTC OPEN CIRCUIT IN D SQUIB.
52TOZ12 SUP RESTRAINT SYS
115 CT 120.00 120.00
PARTS:0.00 LABOR: 120.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE B: 120.00

RAN DIAG AND FOUND OPEN CIRCUIT IN D SQUIB. REMOVED STEERING WHEEL AND CHECKED ALL CONNECTIONS, AND FOUND SPIRAL CABLE TO BE SHORTED.
SPIRAL CABLE WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED. EST TO REPLACE $392.85

Not sure if the diagnostic code is in there somewhere... but a short? Something like that should be an easy fix I would think.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Well I have done plenty with my car dealing with electronic components, but I have never been inside the steering wheel column... Here's what it is on my invoice:

B SUP. RESTRAINT SYS. LIGHT IS ON.
CAUSE: B1801 DTC OPEN CIRCUIT IN D SQUIB.
52TOZ12 SUP RESTRAINT SYS
115 CT 120.00 120.00
PARTS:0.00 LABOR: 120.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE B: 120.00

RAN DIAG AND FOUND OPEN CIRCUIT IN D SQUIB. REMOVED STEERING WHEEL AND CHECKED ALL CONNECTIONS, AND FOUND SPIRAL CABLE TO BE SHORTED.
SPIRAL CABLE WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED. EST TO REPLACE $392.85

Not sure if the diagnostic code is in there somewhere... but a short? Something like that should be an easy fix I would think.
Hmmmm - "Open circuit" is not equal to "found spiral cable to be shorted". A short would result in a B1802 (short in GND wire) or B1803 (short in B+ wire).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #11
silver_echo
ekodrvr

i could see a snapped spiral cable causing an open like that... but how would it have snapped? and if it was not snapped, how did it get messed up? and IMO, this should be warranty unless this car was in a wreck...

i like this smiley...
Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

no wrecks... unless u count a head on collision with a raccoon requiring a new bumper. But the light came on months after that incident :( I think it should be covered under warranty also. I'm gonna try calling some other dealerships in nearby cities and see what they say. Maybe send an email to Toyota or something.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #13
silver_echo
ekodrvr

okay, if it has not been in a wreck, and has not had the column disassembled, then how exactly would that get damaged? perhaps a defective wire acting as a "fusible link" during the super low amperage system check...

side question, how many miles? also, what year yaris? not that it makes a huge difference, but just being curious...

i like this smiley...
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Purchased October '06. Model is '07 3 dr liftback. almost 58K miles

sent an email to Toyota 3 days ago. No response yet, might give them a call next week. I'm trying to get an answer from the company, instead of local dealer, on whether or not this clock spring is covered.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:
Purchased October '06. Model is '07 3 dr liftback. almost 58K miles

sent an email to Toyota 3 days ago. No response yet, might give them a call next week. I'm trying to get an answer from the company, instead of local dealer, on whether or not this clock spring is covered.
if this is not covered, then someone needs to call toyota on this

i like this smiley...
Old 09-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #16
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Got a response! It is covered! Going to contact a different dealer and see about it getting it fixed then I'll go back to the original hometown dealer and show them the email just to let them know what's up.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
silver_echo
ekodrvr

congratulations on making the stealership do what is right...

i like this smiley...