Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-phoenix View Post
We're looking to buy a 2010 Yaris Sedan, but our local dealer just told us it's being discontinued, and we can't order one with the features we want. I've not seen that anywhere else on the net. Can anyone confirm that?
thanks
Maybe they meant that Toyota is not building anymore 2010's and they are starting production on the 2011's. I think someone on here mention there is suppose to be a body makeover for the 2011 so maybe they stopped making 2010's a little early to have time to switch over their production line.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #20
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Maybe they meant that Toyota is not building anymore 2010's and they are starting production on the 2011's. I think someone on here mention there is suppose to be a body makeover for the 2011 so maybe they stopped making 2010's a little early to have time to switch over their production line.
+1

Either a misinterpretation, or a miscommunication by either the salesman or the OP.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
green-phoenix

Drives: 2007 Camry, 2010 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
+1
Either a misinterpretation, or a miscommunication by either the salesman or the OP.
Heh, well this is a quote from what he last emailed to us:

"I know you would like to order one, but I talked to [the sales manager] and they are discontinuing the 4 door sedan and we can no longer order them. They are only going to be manufacturing the hatchback models."

The next-closest dealership I just called said ordering one was np, of course.
green-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
there's a $1,000 CASH BACK or 0% from TOYOTA in your state . Looks like TOYOTA of DES MOINES has 18 sedans . The phone is 1-800-779-6576 . They have a BLUE STREAK sedan . Very sharp . Similar to the BLAZING BLUE for the liftbacks .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #23
Hershey

from what I can tell , that dealership is pulling a fast one on you . Want you to buy what's on their lot . Look elsewhere . There's plenty of sedans in your region . Go to www.toyota.com . and put in your ZIP CODE where FIND DEALS NEAR YOU . Good Luck .
Old 05-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #24
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
when i decided i really needed a sedan i didnt even consider the yaris sedan, as i could get a corolla for too close to the same price. i get on average 1.5 miles per gallon less than i did with my yaris hatch, so i lost almost nothing there but gained a quieter, smoother ride, an interior that is not so depressingly boring, and manual shifting that is infinitely smoother than in the yaris.

at least if toyota is going to keep the yaris sedan, they should change the name. when i think yaris, i think unique looking little hatchback. maybe they could just rekindle the tercel name for the sedan.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #25
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

It would be nice if they acknowledged the sedan and hatchback are completely different cars, but in America there are big cost savings accruing from keeping them under one nametag.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #26
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
It would be nice if they acknowledged the sedan and hatchback are completely different cars...
Agreed.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #27
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Of course the sedan isn't discontinued. That would be ridiculous. The sedan sells just as much, if not more, than the liftback.

Quote:
It would be nice if they acknowledged the sedan and hatchback are completely different cars, but in America there are big cost savings accruing from keeping them under one nametag.

We all wish that Toyota marketed them as two nameplates. Funny how North America is the only market (I believe) where they wear the same name. For the sedan, I prefer the name "Vios".

As you said, cost is the big issue. Marketing a model comes with enormous costs and sharing names is a big advantage in marketing. I guess in other markets where small cars sell in much greater numbers, the differentiation is worth it.

I don't like having to say "Yaris Sedan" so that people don't assume I'm driving a liftback - nothing wrong with that, but I just want to be clear in my description. They are indeed two very different cars even with differently designed interiors.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #28
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I like the name Vios better than either Yaris or Belta.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #29
green-phoenix

Ok, we've talked with a half dozen dealers in the state now, and while the majority of the sales people have all agreed ordering is np and have been much more supportive than the local dealer, the moment we dug deeper with another dealership the sales guy there got back to us and said actually he was mistaken. There was a regional meeting last week where the district managers were informed the Yaris sedan for the US will be ending in 2010 with only the hatchback available in 2011. It sounds like it's not publicly announced yet, and even most dealership employees don't know, but the sedan is discontinued for real. Perhaps they will be coming out with a new economy sedan to fill that slot with a standalone model name, but that's all I know about it.

Oh and we're picking up our new 2010 Yaris sedan Monday from a different-and-more-helpful dealership. Very nice features for off the lot, and they gave us an exceptional deal, lower than our asking price. Definitely best to shop around for a good dealership.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #30
bst82551

Drives: 2008 Flint Mica Yaris Sedan
I won't believe it until I see an official announcement from Toyota. There's no way!
bst82551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #31
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

It has seemed to me that the Yaris sedan and Corolla are aimed at pretty nearly the same niche.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #32
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
It has seemed to me that the Yaris sedan and Corolla are aimed at pretty nearly the same niche.
Agreed... and there isn't a significant price difference once you add options to the Yaris sedan.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #33
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
There are soooooooo many threads about these ridiculous claims people are hearing from dealers. Not to flame, but don't people realize that most car dealers are scum? ESPECIALLY Toyota dealers. Just think about it, if the cars sell themselves, it's not going to do much for salesmanship. Walk into ANY GM, Ford, Hyundai, or Nissan dealer and you'll see miles better customer service. Unfortunately, I like Toyota cars so it means I have to deal with the dealers. When I was in the USA (where I spent most of my life), I almost didn't buy a Toyota just because it meant I had to walk into a Toyota dealership (helped friends and family through 12 different purchases, and each case was pure hell).

Some examples of lies I've heard:
1. The Toyota Celica GT (not the high spec GT-S) has a top speed of 150MPH (it's the top indicated on the speedo, lol)
2. The new Supra will be here next year (heard it in 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2009)
3. The Scion tC is rear wheel drive and can drift
4. There is no difference in the chassis between Lexus GS300 and a Toyota Camry
5. The FT-86 will be a Scion
6. The car comes with three free oil changes, yes. But because we only give you 5W-30 and your car requires 5W-20, we have to charge you $26 for the oil. (that was Longo Toyota, but I blasted them on every forum and event, and had the service manager call to apologize and give me tons of free stuff)
7. Toyota oil filters will not work on a Lexus.
8. It's common for the alignment of new cars to be off and it's not covered by warranty (bringing it back after about 100 miles).
9. The Pontiac Vibe has nothing to do with the Matrix.
10. The E-shift feature is no different than the SMG's on Ferrari's, BMW's, etc.

Last edited by djct_watt; 05-23-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: grammar
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #34
green-phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Not to flame, but don't people realize that most car dealers are scum? ESPECIALLY Toyota dealers. Just think about it, if the cars sell themselves, it's not going to do much for salesmanship. Walk into ANY GM, Ford, Hyundai, or Nissan dealer and you'll see miles better customer service. Unfortunately, I like Toyota cars so it means I have to deal with the dealers.
Clearly you've had some bad experiences with Toyota dealers. My experiences over the last 20 years with dozens of dealerships across three states has been the exact opposite. The American companies seem to be the most shady to me, and Japanese are consistently the best. Sure there are bad dealerships; that's why you visit others and get second opinions. This problem I had last week was enough I hit the other dealer within the immediate 50-mile radius, and I called three more. Only the bad local one had problems answering package questions. The rest were also consistent with the same answers that match online info.

The one thing that was different from online data is the "sedan is discontinued" issue. And the dealer that just confirmed that had no incentive to lie to us about it. We'd decided we didn't want to wait the weeks to order one and were already talking price on a sedan they had on their lot. It was at the end of our dealing, after doing an agreement, that the salesman found out he had been wrong, there was indeed a regional meeting about it, and the sedan was not going to be available anymore. He was letting us know what he just found out, and it wasn't going to effect anything with the sale. The only way it's not discontinued US-wide is that it was a regional decision and the entire Midwest will no longer offer Yaris Sedans. I don't see how Toyota would allow that inconsistency; it's easier to believe they have other plans for an economy sedan.

And actually for those talking about Yaris vs. Corolla, while the Corolla has more options, wider availability, more room, etc., the Corolla is not outright "better." We did test drives with three different Yaris sedans and three different Corolla sedans, all different trim levels. In every case the Yaris engine was quieter, has less road noise, and provided a smoother ride. I really did not expect that, but it drives better. Yes if you go sport package on the Yaris it's pretty close in price to the Corolla sport, but if you keep it simple the Yaris is thousands cheaper with similar features and a better ride. I don't think the Corolla can just step into the economy sedan slot and expect to replace the Yaris that easily.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #35
Hershey

G.P. which dealer you go with ? Hopefully I'm not being too nosey .
Old 05-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #36
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Region discontiniuation is plausable, although odd. I know when i was in sales (it) managers encouraged lying to move units with higher margins or high inventory, and there was even a financial
Incentive to do so. So keep in mind it's still possible for him to have a motive to lie. And I'll admit its possible he was speaking the truth.

Ps, i've dealt with 3 toyota dealers in tje sacramento area, 5 in the S.F. Bay Area, and 6 in Los Angeles. I remember each and every encounter...
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote