Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #37
green-phoenix

Drives: 2007 Camry, 2010 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
G.P. which dealer you go with ? Hopefully I'm not being too nosey .
Nope, doesn't bother me if you want to know. I didn't post it before just because it wasn't really on-topic. We went with Toyota of Iowa City. We bought our last Camry from the Cedar Rapids dealership, which I can't recommend. There's a long story in that, but the short of it is the Cedar Rapids dealership just has problems and we should have just ignored them for the Yaris from the start.

Also update on the discontinued sedan thing. Edmunds has a stub article up saying it's in the process of reviewing the "2011 Toyota Yaris Hybrid Sedan." Perhaps the Sedan will only be available in the hybrid now and that is the change.

Treehugger has an update to the Yaris Hybrid posts that speculates: "The story from Asahi/Reuters mentioned that the Yaris-based hybrid would use the "platform and engine" of the Yaris, but it didn't say specifically that it would be a Yaris per se. Now that automakers know that dedicated hybrids sell better than hybrid versions of regular cars (Civic hybrid vs. Prius), it wouldn't be surprising if when Toyota decides to make a hybrid Yaris it changed the appearance of the vehicle and branded it as a different model."

It may be the different trim levels are just too confusing for buyers. So "Yaris" becomes the name of the liftback model only for the same reason they come out with a Yaris-based new hybrid that's branded with a different name.

Last edited by green-phoenix; 05-23-2010 at 01:45 PM.
green-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #38
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
It has seemed to me that the Yaris sedan and Corolla are aimed at pretty nearly the same niche.
+1. The Yaris LB is a unique car, and there's nothing in the toyota line of cars that is similar to the LB. The sedan, however, I could understand them thinking of discontinuing it, especially if, when push comes to shove, cost wise, it would make more sense to drive the Corolla.

If course, I'll believe it when I read it from Toyota themselves.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #39
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I see more sedans than I do liftbacks. And, frankly, I think the current Yaris sedan is less plasticy than the current Corolla.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #40
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
When I was car shopping for my Yaris, I was told that the hatchbacks were no longer being ordered by that specific dealership. So that is how I ended up with a 2009 model hatch.
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #41
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
It has seemed to me that the Yaris sedan and Corolla are aimed at pretty nearly the same niche.
I have to disagree.

On average, the Corolla costs thousands more the the Yaris sedan. Sure a loaded Yaris can get up there but then again a loaded Corolla can go over $20K.

Never mind the significant size difference. The Corolla is a good amount bigger than the last generation Corolla that was more on par with Yaris's size. If people are cross shopping Corolla and Yaris, then there are those cross shopping the Corolla and Camry as well.

Realistically, they are all very different segments and for Toyota to drop the hot sub-compact sedan segment would be a massive mistake.

Will Toyota market 2 names going forward and separate the sedan and hatch? Perhaps, but there's no way in hell that Toyota will stop selling a sub-compact sedan.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #42
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
we chose both the YARII over the '08 and '09 COROLLA due to less rattles ( new cars ) , better ride , and less expensive ( rebates , dealer discount , less sticker price ) .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #43
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Basically we got into Yaris sedans because they were the successor to the Echo, which was a very nice little car.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:35 AM   #44
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I hope they just drop the Yaris name in the sedan and rename it Vios. Places I'm at, I see slightly more LB's than I do sedans, probably out of 10 "Yarii" I see, 6-7 are LBs. Also, size wise between the Corolla and the Vios, not much. The Corolla has a bigger trunk, same size rear seating (imo), and slightly more leg space in the front seats (I went with my bro to test drive one he was looking at).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #45
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
I definitely notice more sedans than liftbacks in St. Louis.

Only recently have I started seeing more liftbacks on the road.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #46
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Not sure why various areas have more of one than the other.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #47
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Not sure why various areas have more of one than the other.
seems like college and party areas have more liftbacks...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #48
Reeves360

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan, 91 ToyotaTruck
Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-phoenix View Post
UPDATE: It's been confirmed by another dealer now that had tried to get order info for us. Not publicly announced, but it does appear the Yaris Sedan ends in 2010.

Edmunds has a stub article up saying it's in the process of reviewing the "2011 Toyota Yaris Hybrid Sedan." Perhaps the Sedan will only be available in the hybrid now and that is the change? A Treehugger update suggests it's coming but may be branded as something other than Yaris.

If anyone else wants to try to confirm that info either way I'm happy to update the OP with what you find out. And yes I've seen the tentative dealer reference sheets for May, and they would have been printed before this supposed "meeting" we were told happened a week or two ago.

--------------------------
We're looking to buy a 2010 Yaris Sedan, but our local dealer just told us it's being discontinued, and we can't order one with the features we want. I've not seen that anywhere else on the net. Can anyone confirm that?
thanks
I don't think the original deal was being dishonest. Here are some key points people seem to be missing.

The customer asked the incorrect question. The customer asked the dealer if they could "order" not "buy" a Yaris Sedan. Let's assume the Yaris is going to be re-released in 2011 as a hybrid. If this is true you couldn't "order" a Yaris but you could pick up many of the models already on the lot.

The customer stated "we can't order one with the feature we want". Some combos of features are ordered from the factory built to order and generally aren't requested by most dealerships.

If these are the facts the the sales man is completely correct. Maybe the dealership can't order the specific sedan with the exact options he wanted because Toyota the manufacture is no longer taking orders from Toyota the dealerships.

Now on to the next dispute, is the car really being discontinued?

I have no proof to link you guys to right this minute but a little over a year ago I remember coming across some articles that were speculating that Toyota would move it's Yaris Sedan into the hybrid market.

The reason for this change is the demand for hybrid vehicles has gone up and to compete with the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt. What Toyota wants to do is have the cheapest hybrid vehicle on the market. I think I remember they were going to try to stay in the 17k range for the base model. Compare that to the Chevy Volt which will be in the 40k+ range.

This is great news considering I was going to buy a Prius but couldn't justify the additional cost vs the added 2 miles a difference in gas mileage when compared to the Yaris. Even though I drive 100+ miles a day it would take me over 10 years to start saving money.

So a Yaris Sedan hybrid for under 20k, I'm all about it.

Sounds like to me Toyota knows exactly what they are doing and we have nothing to worry about when it comes to loosing the Yaris Sedan, it's just going to become a hybrid which is why I bought the Yaris in the first place. Hybrid like mileage with out the Hybrid like price.

Reeves360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #49
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
This will be interesting. I checked Toyota's press site; nothing to be said there about this (yet?).
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #50
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Egg on my face if it proves to be true. I'll wait for a press release.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #51
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
The sedan has such a cheerful look I cant imagine it being cut.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 AM   #52
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
we know for a fact that a smaller, less expensive hybrid is coming. But that in no way means it could replace the Yaris sedan.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #53
djct_watt

Man, I have no idea why everyone is SO keen on believe their dealers. Oh noes, the new supra is coming, it was supposed to be here in 2005, but it'll be here next week really. Oh noes, Toyota will release a RWD 400hp coupe for under $20,000. Yeah.

Ok,
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...137#post493137
which quotes data from
[http://www.insideline.com/toyota/2011-toyotas-priced.html[/url]

and this source direct from Toyota confirms a Sedan:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...11-163951.aspx

Yeah, you received a special deal, just for you from the "manager," but you have to buy it today. What will it take for you to buy this car (that we have in stock and need to get rid of) today?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #54
djct_watt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Man, I have no idea why everyone is SO keen on believe their dealers. Oh noes, the new supra is coming, it was supposed to be here in 2005, but it'll be here next week really. Oh noes, Toyota will release a RWD 400hp coupe for under $20,000. Yeah.

Ok,
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...137#post493137
which quotes data from
[http://www.insideline.com/toyota/2011-toyotas-priced.html[/url]

and this source direct from Toyota confirms a Sedan:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...11-163951.aspx

Yeah, you received a special deal, just for you from the "manager," but you have to buy it today. What will it take for you to buy this car (that we have in stock and need to get rid of) today?
Amazing that there are soooooo many replies to completely false and fake rumor spread by SALESPEOPLE (the absolute best source of automotive information EVARRRR) but no responses to the the myth being busted.