Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #37
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
All of a suddent this reminded me of Ludacrist's song

Moveee Bitch get out the way bitch get out the way get out the way
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 AM   #38
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Per the Minnesota drivers manual:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/DLTra...lassDFinal.pdf

Passing
Improper passing causes many crashes. Use extra caution when passing
at night, when visibility is poor, and when the road is slippery.
In locations where passing is permitted on two-lane roads with traffic
moving in both directions, you may pass on the left side of vehicles
ahead of you. You should not exceed the speed limit to complete a pass.
However, the speed limit on two-lane highways with a posted speed limit
of 55 mph or higher is increased by 10 mph when the driver is lawfully
passing another vehicle in the same direction. When you are preparing
to pass, you must make sure there is a safe distance between your vehicle
and oncoming traffic. You must also look behind you to determine
whether other drivers are preparing to pass you. When another driver
is trying to pass you, stay in your own lane and do not increase speed.
Use your left turn signal before moving into the left lane to pass.
Use your right turn signal after passing and before returning to the
right lane. Return to the right lane when you can see the entire vehicle
you have just passed in your rearview mirror.
When passing another
vehicle, you must return to the right side of the road before coming
within 100 feet of an oncoming vehicle.
Do not attempt to pass another vehicle in locations where a “No
Passing Zone” sign is posted or where there is a solid yellow line on
your side of the center line. Double solid yellow lines mean passing
is not allowed by vehicles traveling in either direction.
Do not pass:
• On a curve or hill where you cannot clearly see the road ahead
for at least 700 feet.
• Within 100 feet of an intersection, underpass, tunnel, or railroad
crossing.
• When you are about to meet a vehicle coming toward you from
the opposite direction.

That pretty much tells me that slow people are supposed to stay the f*ck out of the far left lane.

EVEN IF 'you shouldn't be speeding anyway' - well, that's not your job to tell us what to do. Stay the hell out of our way, and stop thinking it's funny to be an a-hole by keeping your slow asses in the far left lane.
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #39
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
All of a suddent this reminded me of Ludacrist's song

Moveee Bitch get out the way bitch get out the way get out the way
I so play that sometimes when I want people to move. It makes me laugh while I'm silently hoping their engine falls out from under their hood :)
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #40
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
EVEN IF 'you shouldn't be speeding anyway' - well, that's not your job to tell us what to do. Stay the hell out of our way, and stop thinking it's funny to be an a-hole by keeping your slow asses in the far left lane.
Yeah and they pretty much teach you in driver's ed that it's just plain safer for everyone to just move the heck over. Law enforcement doesn't need extra help in slowing down speeders. (actually if you really do wanna be mr. road safety move over and report the speeder) so to agree with everyone else that has some common sense in this thread get the hell out of the left lane after you pass. Supposedly they have a law prohibiting cruising in the left lane here in texas but i've never seen it enforced.

but for those of you who just can't help but camp out in the left lane that's cool... i'll go just short of literally bumping you out of the way cause i really don't give a fuck about either of our safety if you don't have the courtesy to just ease on over to the right lane.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #41
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
All of you who think it is ok to drive slowly in the far left lane, please pray everynight and make sure you give your kids/wife/whatever quality time as your chances of causing an accident are tenfold.

I have sat through many classes and learned that staying slow in that lane can def cause an accident more than staying in the right.

For one, the car speeding, and lets not talk about what is right or wrong because face it - people speed and end of argument. Anyway, the car speeding either a) might not notice your speed due to traffic and will have to abruptly slow down <-- this is dangerous at high speeds on a crowded highway,

or

b) will try and pass you by moving into the middle or right lane and there are blind spots when shifting right and somone in the far right lane might be shifting into the middle lane at the same time (can anyone say, "pile-up"?) <-- this is just as bad.

You guys who do this only think, "Hey I am obeying the laws so I don't care about the lane rules/courtesy".

Well, sadly you are very wrong, no matter how you look at it.

Thank you and please, when you are done with your Drain-O, puke OUTSIDE the car!
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #42
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
You should not exceed the speed limit to complete a pass.
However, the speed limit on two-lane highways with a posted speed limit
of 55 mph or higher is increased by 10 mph when the driver is lawfully
passing another vehicle in the same direction. When you are preparing
to pass, you must make sure there is a safe distance between your vehicle
and oncoming traffic. You must also look behind you to determine
whether other drivers are preparing to pass you. When another driver
is trying to pass you, stay in your own lane and do not increase speed.
Use your left turn signal before moving into the left lane to pass.
Use your right turn signal after passing and before returning to the
right lane. Return to the right lane when you can see the entire vehicle
you have just passed in your rearview mirror..
Thank You Thank You Thank You
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #43
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
lol, I never follow this "rule". Little about driving a Yaris can amuse me more than seeing the mad as hell drivers in the rear view, while I cruise along minding my own business in the left lane. Its not that I'm necessarily going that slow; most drivers just act as assholes when they see a small car in the left lane.
then you are definitely someone who deserves a ticket.

the left lane is for overtaking. driving slow in it in most states is illegal.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #44
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
I absolutely despise it when people put about in the left lane. I always keep an eye on my rear view if I'm passing people in the far left lane and if I see someone coming behind me faster than I'm going I scoot over and let them pass. It's just common courtesy and keeps traffic flowing. If you sit in the left lane going slow it basically clogs the whole flipping road up.
Common Courtesy died a long time ago, people are just too stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post

Maybe we need to send about half of America to Germany for some driving lessons.
Nah, we just need to make driving tests a ton harder, and make it so that you have to pass one every time you need to get a new license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDu.de View Post
Unless you are a cop, it is not your job to police other people.
AMEN!!! In fact, how do you know who that person behind you is? Just because they are not in a police vehicle does not mean they can't pull you over and ticket you for aggressive driving.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #45
sleey0

Well, in germany driving test are about 50x harder and I believe it is either a 1 or 2 year course.

Needless to say they obey the left lane rule amongst other things.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #46
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
Well, in germany driving test are about 50x harder and I believe it is either a 1 or 2 year course.

Needless to say they obey the left lane rule amongst other things.
Indeed they are, and I wholly support the US adopting a test of that magnitude.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #47
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
After driving for a while I have learned it doesnt pay to speed I stay in the right lane and end up passing everyone in the right lane at the stop light because they all raced up there just to sit and wait. Just because someone isn't passing the guy in the right lane fast enough does NOT give you the right to be a jerk off and tailgate anyone. Two wrongs don't make a right, What if you cause a wreck and take a life for no reason can you really live with yourself after that? slow down and leave five mins earlier.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #48
frownonfun

i don't think anyone is talking about stop light traffic. it's when we are on the highway and someone is camped out in the left lane. there is no need. just move over. half the time i'm not even in a hurry but you'll have someone driving 65 in a 75mph zone in the left damn lane. yeah i'm gonna tailgate you. i'm gonna do it like it's going out of style and i'm gonna lay on my horn too. people can claim i'm being a jerk and being dangerous but you created the situation by not moving the hell over in the first place. not the least bit apologetic on this one.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #49
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
if there is a faster car behind you, it doesnt matter if hes going 80 or 200. You need to move out of the way. If you worried about the law being broken then make a career shift to highway patrol. i do 80 in a 65 on a regular basis and i hate having to switch lanes because people feel they are going fast enough at 65.
That's the thing, I'm not worried about you speeding, and I'm not "trying to slow you down." I'm just not going out of my way, going slower than I need to, risking an accident moving into heavier traffic, just to let you speed. That's insanity, and you are all wrong in this thread. Slower traffic keep right - sure, but if I'm going the maximum speed allowed on the road, I by definition, am not slower traffic, and there is no need for me to move to the right. There is a need for you to stop speeding. That's why there are speed limit signs every mile or so, and only on CERTAIN highways, are there signs that say left lane passing only.

I can't count the number of times I personally have seen someone tailgating another person in the fast lane doing 70-75 when they both pass a highway patrol officer. I have never seen the officer pull the front person over, its always the person speeding and tailgating. You guys take some driving etiquette line and turn it into law.

Not to mention, most of the time when I'm doing 70 in the fast lane, and some immature douche bag that doesn't realize their vehicle can kill someone comes flying up on my ass and gets all flustered waving their arms frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog, I AM passing cars in the middle, and there is another car in front of me ALSO doing 70 ALSO passing someone, who I refuse to tailgate like 95% of drivers out there. Maybe if you weren't so busy weaving in and out of traffic doing 10-15 over the flow of traffic like its a video game or something, you would be aware of the situation enough to back off my bumper for 2 seconds.

All you supposedly safe and knowledgeable drivers make me sick. Speeding and tailgating are retarded, no other way to put it. And then you have the nerve to tell other people they are breaking the law by getting in your way.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #50
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Oh and by the way if you still like tailgating, I suggest buying a dash cam as I have a habit of slamming on my brakes and coming to a complete stop right as I'm passing a particularly slow person in the middle lane when someone is on my ass. I've only put 2 people in the dirt, but when one of you hits me, insurance almost always finds 100% fault for the person rear ending someone. It was a coyote running across the freeway I swear.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #51
sleey0

Breaking the law, no.

Putting others/themselves in danger by not staying in the middle or right lane, yes.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #52
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
i don't think anyone is talking about stop light traffic. it's when we are on the highway and someone is camped out in the left lane. there is no need. just move over. half the time i'm not even in a hurry but you'll have someone driving 65 in a 75mph zone in the left damn lane. yeah i'm gonna tailgate you. i'm gonna do it like it's going out of style and i'm gonna lay on my horn too. people can claim i'm being a jerk and being dangerous but you created the situation by not moving the hell over in the first place. not the least bit apologetic on this one.
I know what your talking about but what if they brake check you and you rearend them it's going to be your fault. I bet you the cop will laugh then write you a ticket when you tell them they were going too slow for you in the fast lane so you tailgated them and honked the horn but they hit the brakes and you hit them.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #53
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I am amused at how some claim that someone doing the speed limit in the left lane is causing a dangerous situation. The truth is that it is speeders who are the ones that are doing so. If a person is in such a rush that they can't slow down for a short while to maintain a safe distance between them a car in front of them until the latter has cleared the lane, then they are the ones that are causing the hazard!

So to all those who bitch and whine about being slowed down because of cars in the passing lane, take a second to consider that your aggressiveness and immature actions such as tailgating are the source of the true problem.

Oh, and it is illegal in many states to hit your brakes in response to a tailgater. But it is also illegal to follow so closely that you cannot safely stop in time for any reason...
Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #54
frownonfun

i'm not concerned with people brake checking. i'm not concerned with insurance or cops or tickets. sorry. i'm unreasonably stubborn on this issue. just move over. it's that simple. i mentioned previously that the correct way to handle tailgaters and speeders is to move out of the way so as not to increase the danger of the situation. and call in aggressive driving to the highway patrol if you see fit. i also mentioned previously that i have no consideration for safety if you don't have the courtesy to just move your arms ever so slightly to the right and get back in the correct lane.

now if we are talking about several cars passing several other cars and i'm at the tail end of that line. no i'm not gonna tail the person in front of me. i'm gonna kick back and wait cause i know it's not their fault that the person all the way at the front of the group is holding everyone up.