Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
CAPTnAMERIKA209

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris sedan base
And to think I almost bought one of those cheap eBay kits lol glad I saw this thread :)
CAPTnAMERIKA209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
On RHD cars the connector is mirrored, so the yellow and white/black on the right are the pins that get shorted by the stalk to turn the fogs on.
Update: As CTScott said for us RHD guys, the wires are mirrored.

I found my scenario a bit different from what is documented. When I tap my red wire to yellow wire 3 and my white one to white/black wire. The fogs work with park and headlights.

The switch has the fog symbol lit on light switch on but the LED on the switch doesn't work (not too worried about that), the fog symbol on the dash comes on.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #21
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Further update, my headlamp switch started acting up. The dash lights, ac and shifter lights would randomly switch off and on. I bought the stalk with the integrated fog light switch and it was a really simple swap. Just follow ctscott's video carefully on how to remove the steering wheel and associated click spring.

Many thanks to CtScott again, this is really the best move for the fog light install.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Our updated foglight kit has none of those issues. And now CTScott produces the wiring/switch kit part of it for us.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #23
atlebatoyot
'Yota fanatic.

Drives: Yaris Sedan (Vios)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Our updated foglight kit has none of those issues. And now CTScott produces the wiring/switch kit part of it for us.
Nice!

Still saving up for the Projector Headlights Plug 'n Play though. Maybe Christmastime, eh?

http://shop.microimageonline.com/Pro...p-proj1143.htm
atlebatoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Hi there,
I'm planning to get mine fog lights for christmas (quite mild weather here, about +5°C, not really usual) :D

Talking about the Micro Image kit, some questions are left:

1) Do I get it right that if I put in a light stalk with a fog light switch (and plug the relay, and of course install the wiring and the lights in the engine bay ), I can turn on the lights from there?
I just don't like to use the cable clips which cut through the insulation ;)
Am I right they are just needed to switch it using the small switch included in the package?

2) Are the fog lights a special american version?
In Germany, they don't need to be tinted, but all lights have to have a signing similar to at least on of the three shown on page 4 of http://www.jokin.de/news/35/rueckleuchten.pdf
Otherwise, I could get trouble if the cops check my car or when I got to the mandatory technical inspection (once in two years).

If these two points work out, I'd consider ordering them :)
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
Hi there,
I'm planning to get mine fog lights for christmas (quite mild weather here, about +5°C, not really usual) :D

Talking about the Micro Image kit, some questions are left:

1) Do I get it right that if I put in a light stalk with a fog light switch (and plug the relay, and of course install the wiring and the lights in the engine bay ), I can turn on the lights from there?
I just don't like to use the cable clips which cut through the insulation ;)
Am I right they are just needed to switch it using the small switch included in the package?

2) Are the fog lights a special american version?
In Germany, they don't need to be tinted, but all lights have to have a signing similar to at least on of the three shown on page 4 of http://www.jokin.de/news/35/rueckleuchten.pdf
Otherwise, I could get trouble if the cops check my car or when I got to the mandatory technical inspection (once in two years).

If these two points work out, I'd consider ordering them :)
Correct on the wiring piece. You could also solder and shrink tube the included switch connections. The splice taps included with the kit make it so that those not comfortable with soldering can easily install the kit. The splice taps are used on the low current, coil side of the fog light circuit.

The markings on the glass of the light housings are "DOT" and "SAE".

The real Toyota fog lights have the "E2" in a circle marking on them.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #26
bairjo

I wasn't sure on which thread to post this. I ordered my OEM light stalk PN 84140-52151 last week and the package was delivered today. Wrong part was sent. Why? The vendor asked me for my VIN number and decided to send me the original light stalk that the car came with. Yes my order showed I requested and the order was taken for pn 84140-52151. I called, bitched, and now going through the motions to have the correct part sent to me. When all is said and done, I will lose a week and a half. My point here is if you plan on ordering this part, DO NOT GIVE YOUR VIN NUMBER. Just request the part number and be done with it. Hope this saves someone else the crap I went through.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I wasn't sure on which thread to post this. I ordered my OEM light stalk PN 84140-52151 last week and the package was delivered today. Wrong part was sent. Why? The vendor asked me for my VIN number and decided to send me the original light stalk that the car came with. Yes my order showed I requested and the order was taken for pn 84140-52151. I called, bitched, and now going through the motions to have the correct part sent to me. When all is said and done, I will lose a week and a half. My point here is if you plan on ordering this part, DO NOT GIVE YOUR VIN NUMBER. Just request the part number and be done with it. Hope this saves someone else the crap I went through.
That's a bummer. The key with ordering parts not intended for your car is to look on ebay for one with the part in question and then give the dealer its VIN. Or, simply order the part based on part number and don't give a VIN.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #28
bairjo

Well here is my story regarding installing fog lights on my 2010. I was in the hospital for a few weeks for major surgery during the past holidays...it wasn't cool. Anyhow my wife surprised me when I was stuck in the hospital with a new fog light set...not the one I wanted from Garm, but a set they used to sell at MicroImage. Long story short this outfit she purchased them from require a 20% restocking fee to return them so I am stuck with them. Actually, I only plan on using the lights and the harness that go upto the fuse box under the hood. I will be using the toyota relay and OEM light stalk from there. My question now, at the fuse box, plug A24 you have a pigtail that goes to pin #1 & #2. Are these wires from 1 and 2 joined together and spliced to a common wire and the split again at the othe end or does the wire from pin1 go direct to one light and the pin from #2 go direct to the other light? I know, another reason to rant....but I already covered that at home....she meant well though.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #29
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Well here is my story regarding installing fog lights on my 2010. I was in the hospital for a few weeks for major surgery during the past holidays...it wasn't cool. Anyhow my wife surprised me when I was stuck in the hospital with a new fog light set...not the one I wanted from Garm, but a set they used to sell at MicroImage. Long story short this outfit she purchased them from require a 20% restocking fee to return them so I am stuck with them. Actually, I only plan on using the lights and the harness that go upto the fuse box under the hood. I will be using the toyota relay and OEM light stalk from there. My question now, at the fuse box, plug A24 you have a pigtail that goes to pin #1 & #2. Are these wires from 1 and 2 joined together and spliced to a common wire and the split again at the othe end or does the wire from pin1 go direct to one light and the pin from #2 go direct to the other light? I know, another reason to rant....but I already covered that at home....she meant well though.

That's a sad enough story to warrant a response.

Pins 1 and 2 are separate feeds to the two lights (as each pin has a limit to the current it can pass), but from there they are joined together, so as the hit the fog light relay there is a single wire. To rewire your kit, you want to keep the two sets of wires intact until they hit their end points. The ground wires you can join into a singe ring terminal and connect under the left side headlight. With the other two wires you will bring them both into the fuse box. For the connection to pins 1 and 2, I assume that your kit does not contain proper pins to do so. If you need them I keep them on hand.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #30
bairjo

Thank you Scott. I already have the pins I need for #1 & #2. I will most likely do a video on this like every other mod i have done. I will be sure to give you credit for your efforts, as well as, give MicroImage a plug for their higher quality kit they offer. By the way, does anyone want my substandard relay and switch I won't be using?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #31
donrgarman
U.S. NAVY Vet

Drives: 2007 Bone stock Yaris Hatch
Red face <--- Not an electrician

So I too am one of those out there who couldn't resist grabbing those e-bay headlight / fog light set-ups. I am also, by no means, an electrician (vehicle or otherwise). I made a beginners mistake in trying to get the running lights to work and I left the power to the light on while cutting the stock running light off.
This made a very quick spark, slight burnt smell and the worst of all, none of my running lights (LED FWD, HALOs, and Rear Running) will turn on now. I figured I blew a fuse, but after testing (and replacing the two that say running lights in the manual) I have found not one of the fuses were bad, and I have found nothing to get any of these lights to work.
I have a 2007 two door with power nothing. It’s the most basic model the dealer sells with the exception of the A/C.
If anyone has any thoughts on what else could be wrong I would be forever grateful.
donrgarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #32
mattk_r

Drives: 07 Yaris S
Reviving an old thread here... so with Microimage not apparently around anymore, is there a good source for a kit or parts list for my 07? I'm guessing the light switch would be the 84140-52151 referred to earlier? I don't mind researching and ordering all Toyota parts, but if the work has already been done I wouldn't mind "leveraging" it :)
mattk_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #33
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Matt, I just bought a set of headlights from MicroImage on eBay. I think it's the same set they used to sell on their own store, minus documentation/instructions.

I haven't inspected the wiring harness yet, so I can't say if it came with the AliBaba sourced foglights, if it's stock or like stock from Toyota, or something else. So I don't quite know which sets of instructions to use for installation.

I'll keep you posted.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Matt, I just bought a set of headlights from MicroImage on eBay. I think it's the same set they used to sell on their own store, minus documentation/instructions.

I haven't inspected the wiring harness yet, so I can't say if it came with the AliBaba sourced foglights, if it's stock or like stock from Toyota, or something else. So I don't quite know which sets of instructions to use for installation.

I'll keep you posted.
I actually developed the harness for MicroImage. They did start with the same type of harness, which is included with these types of kits, but very little of the original harness is actually used to turn the kit into a plug n play kit. Since Micro Image closed I have modified quite a few of the aftermarket kits for people to make them like the MI kit.

Making the kits plug n play requires obtaining the correct connector pins for the under-hood fuse box connections, obtaining the OEM fog light relay and either modifying the circuit board of the included switch, or wiring in a more compatible switch (with the switching and illumination circuits separate) .
Old 11-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #35
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Thanks. I guess I'll take pics of the included contents, and see what you can tell me...

Two snakes in the bag:

Snake one and its connectors:

Snake two:

Close-up of the included relay:

Switch:

Baggie with zip ties and bolts:

Now I know you've written countless posts on this subject, and I apologize profusely for being unable to find the right one. I think I know there's one for OEM, another for generic add-ons, and at least one tutorial for MicroImage foglights. Just seeing how I'm not sure which one to follow, and if I have all the correct parts to make it as seamless and OEM-looking and -working as possible.

Last edited by Kar98; 11-08-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That is the standard completely incompatible ebay kit. As I mentioned above you would need to modify the harness as well as modify the circuit board for the switch to make it work. There are numerous DIYs for the aftermarket fogs, but I don't believe that any of them are complete with the switch modifications.