Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #217
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I thought I should tell you guys about something cool I've noticed with the 2zr. After driving this around and racing I believe anyone(like myself) would get accustomed to the additional power after a while. But there is one aspect I LOVE that you guys will also notice and appreciate.

When accelerating to change lanes or to get onto the interstate the car accels normally until right around 4000rpm....after 4 it feels like you have vtec and you get this surge forward all the way to redline. It's so addictive!
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #218
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
....after 4 it feels like you have vtec and you get this surge forward all the way to redline.
Pardon my mechanical ignorance, but isn't VVT-i just V-Tech under a diff name? I've done a little research, but haven't been able to understand the difference. They're both just variable valve timing, right? Why is it that the Honda guys talk about 'V-Tech kicking in' and it seems VVT-i doesn't?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #219
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Pardon my mechanical ignorance, but isn't VVT-i just V-Tech under a diff name? I've done a little research, but haven't been able to understand the difference. They're both just variable valve timing, right? Why is it that the Honda guys talk about 'V-Tech kicking in' and it seems VVT-i doesn't?
My understanding it vtec has valve lift where vvt-i is just variable timing. You essentially notice more "boost" w/ vtec but vvti is spread out more evenly through the rpm range.

The 2zr has dual vvti and I thought it also has valve lift capabilities which is likely why you feel the pick up after 4k.

Someone correct my post if incorrect
Old 03-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #220
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
True VTEC (there are other ECO Vtecs now) has 3 lobe intake and/or exhaust cams that operate via a VTEC solenoid operated by raising oil pressure and the vehicles ECU to switch between a low lobe lift/duration initally and then a secondary lobe which has little more, and then to one that has very aggressive rates for life/duration. Modern I-VTEC also control timing on the intake cam via VTC in addition to the more aggresive intake/exhaust cams as revs rise.

If you ever go to a meet or show and see a loud high idle Honda, they're usually running a "VTEC KILLER" which is eliminiting the lost motion system which allows the lobes to change and just running the 3rd lobe which is hte most agressive. They dont' idle right under normal idle conditions because the cam profiles are too big.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #221
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
My understanding it vtec has valve lift where vvt-i is just variable timing. You essentially notice more "boost" w/ vtec but vvti is spread out more evenly through the rpm range.

The 2zr has dual vvti and I thought it also has valve lift capabilities which is likely why you feel the pick up after 4k.

Someone correct my post if incorrect
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
True VTEC (there are other ECO Vtecs now) has 3 lobe intake and/or exhaust cams that operate via a VTEC solenoid operated by raising oil pressure and the vehicles ECU to switch between a low lobe lift/duration initally and then a secondary lobe which has little more, and then to one that has very aggressive rates for life/duration. Modern I-VTEC also control timing on the intake cam via VTC in addition to the more aggresive intake/exhaust cams as revs rise.

If you ever go to a meet or show and see a loud high idle Honda, they're usually running a "VTEC KILLER" which is eliminiting the lost motion system which allows the lobes to change and just running the 3rd lobe which is hte most agressive. They dont' idle right under normal idle conditions because the cam profiles are too big.
Interesting, thanks.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #222
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

The 2zr does not have valve lift, only cam advance and retard. Another interesting bit of info is that the 2zr uses the same hydraulic lash adjusters as the V6 2grfe. Completely different system VS the 1nz.

Now if only I had a spare set of 2zr cams to send out for a regrind!

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 03-17-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #223
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Spare cams are always tricky to come across unless of course you do things like over boost the snot out of the engine and blow 8 holes through the block....lol.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #224
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Well I would probably just buy a longblock from the auto recyclers, they are only $800.

Jason has informed me that the regrinds are not ideal for us Solo racers, because we need torque more than horsepower. So for now I'm going to focus on getting an LSD.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:52 AM   #225
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Update: 4,340 miles accumulated on my 2zr, I have my oil sample bottle ready. My RPM long tube header is on the way....and Im set up to do baseline dyno pulls tomorrow with the 2zr stock
Old 03-25-2016, 04:23 AM   #226
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
That sounds awesome, i wonder if you'll break 115 fwhp with it the way it is, and what kind of gain the long tube will give.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #227
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
This is what I pulled from one of the scion sites:

Originally posted by Richard Holdener (Dynatek)

Here are the dyno results of the new long-tube header for the 1.8L Yaris TS and Scion xD (possibly other apps as well).
Equipped with just a home-made air intake, the otherwise stock Xd produced 123 wheel hp and 121 ft-lb of torque.
Equipped with the long-tube headers and 2.5-inch mid pipe (2.25 would work equally well) and no axle back, the motor produced 134 wheel hp and 134 ft-lb of torque.
At just 3000 rpm, the header and mid pipe offered an additional 15 ft-lb of torque.

Next we installed the prototype of the Xd intake manifold. The peak power numbers jumped to 148 hp and 137 ft-lb of torque.
At 6000 rpm, the intake offered gains of 16 hp.
It appears from this testing that if we add an NST u-pulley and receive the same results as we did on the 1.5L Yaris motor, the 1.8L can produce a real 150 wheel hp (possibly more if it reponds favorably to the FIC).
BTW-We already made 151 wheel hp with a version of the intake that won't be offered for sale-it adds a bit more peak power but sacrafices too much elsewhere)
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #228
LTHatch

That's damn good power, was it auto as well? If so a manual 2zr would probably break 130 with just an intake.

Brushforhire: You are installing your long tube soon, any chance you can do a couple of in car videos of how she accelerates?
Old 03-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #229
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
I wonder if the 2zr-fe lower end can hold a 1nr-fe head and work with the iQ front differential? I guess it would depend it if mounts to the transmission. Maybe I'll order an iQ tranny gasket and Xd tranny gasket and compare.

Last edited by MugenRep; 03-25-2016 at 04:27 PM.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #230
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTHatch View Post
That's damn good power, was it auto as well? If so a manual 2zr would probably break 130 with just an intake.

Brushforhire: You are installing your long tube soon, any chance you can do a couple of in car videos of how she accelerates?
Not totally sure about the trans that was dyno'd.

I can try and figure out how to take some vids. I don't really have anything that would work well. Holding my Nikon would be really awkward, lol. Maybe time to get a gopro.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #231
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTHatch View Post
That's damn good power, was it auto as well? If so a manual 2zr would probably break 130 with just an intake
Im pretty sure their results are from a manual transmission car, it's impossible to do a full rev-range dyno pull with the auto, Because you cant keep it from down-shifting below 3000RPM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #232
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Im pretty sure their results are from a manual transmission car, it's impossible to do a full rev-range dyno pull with the auto, Because you cant keep it from down-shifting below 3000RPM.
;-)

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #233
LTHatch

Brushforhire: That's far too much especially after what you've invested in the swap, i'll just keep an eye for your review on your 2zr Yaris.
ArmstrongRacing: Ahh i see thank you, didn't know that about automatic transmissions.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #234
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

This weekend was the SCCA Oceanside Showdown in San Diego. Since I am allowed Rcomps in SMF I ran a set or used BFG R1 S tires. They didnt help me at all, I have no experience with these tires and I drove them like a street tire, they never went above 130 degrees in a 50 second course. I got destroyed by the Yawsport TL.

http://youtu.be/DRo1OAZsBkg

They weighed my car after the competition and its at 2362, so I sisnt gain any weight from the 2zr swap!

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 04-04-2016 at 08:31 PM.