Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #37
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRD View Post
I'd love to see you prove that empirically.

Peak HP occurs at 6,000 RPM. Redline occurs at 6,500 RPM.

You'll want to shift at or near red-line for peak performance, even though engine horsepower falls off after 6,000 RPM. Why? Because doing so will put the engine closer to its horsepower peak in the next gear (immediately after the up-shift) while ensuring peak obtainable drive-wheel torque at all vehicle speeds.

Precise shift points would be determined in the fashion discussed in this link:

http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html

Generally speaking, shifting at red-line is a good "rule of thumb" for maximizing acceleration. That tends to be especially true for higher revving, small displacement DOHC engines (e.g. Yaris engine).

I've been told that the Yaris's owner's manual recommends the following shift points for maximum acceleration:

1 to 2: 31 MPH
2 to 3: 59 MPH
3 to 4: 86 MPH

And I'd love to prove it as well. If i had easier access to a track, I'd do it. Would you settle for a measured distance (1/4 mile) vs time (stopwatch)?

It's nice to have peak HP so close to redline, as it makes your point that much easier to work with. And, for most people (as well as the common point of view), shifting at redline would be best.

Last edited by justjesus; 10-22-2008 at 09:04 PM.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #38
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
09TRD here is the page you asked for
Thank you very much; that's exactly what I've been looking for.
09TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #39
bubaa

Drives: yaris rs
so theres n problem on shifting almost all the time up to 6500 i have tach
bubaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #40
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
If to you it's too much money for what you get, then don't buy it. Toyota cut a few bucks off their production costs by not including the tach in lower models. The lack of a tachometer also motivates buyers to upgrade to the higher level lb if they really want it. Sounds like good business to me.
You shouldn't have to buy the most expensive trim level just to get a tach. At the very least, it should be available as a stand alone option.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #41
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
I disagree. I think if you have a manual tranny you need a tach.
You're doing it right now, aren't you? There are tons of other Yaris manual owners who're not running any tachs, yet are still able to drive, AMIRITE?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #42
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
You're not doing much to help me make my argument. I know you don't NEED a tach to drive a manual, but isn't having one nice? It isn't asking that much for Toyota to quit being so damn cheap and just include one in the base Yaris. They're already selling these cars for a much higher price than they should be. It isn't like Toyota isn't going to make a profit on these cars if the included a tach.
I've been through this argument with many others. I'll go over it with you.

Toyota didn't include a tach, to provide a super cheap ass Yaris. Want a tach? Get a S model. Still don't like it? Get a Fit.

Earlier you had stated that you NEED a tach for a manual transmission, but now you're saying,

Quote:
=grampi]I know you don't NEED a tach to drive a manual,
Its bad enough Toyota isn't making much on these cars anyways. Toyota obviously doesn't care about the Yaris, as they do the other models. There's nearly no Yaris commercials anymore.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #43
09TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubaa View Post
so theres n problem on shifting almost all the time up to 6500 i have tach

No street driven engine should be shifted at redline "almost all the time."

More revs equal more wear per mile. Racing engines are generally shifted at redline, but most of them have to be rebuilt on a regular basis.

You can safely red-line the Yaris's engine (or any other street engine in good condition) on occasion (e.g. when merging into traffic, accelerating hard for the fun of it, etc.).

Another user scanned and posted this. It shows recommended shift points for different driving conditions:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/att...9&d=1224720740
Old 10-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #44
paraganek

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback 5 speed
Send a message via ICQ to paraganek
OK, maybe a little off topic but this shifting pattern works best if you drive for the best fuel economy (so you do not need fast acceleration):
shift to 2nd at 10MPH
shift to 3rd at 25 MPH
shift to 4th at 35 MPH
shift to 5th at 45 MPH
Old 10-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #45
09TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraganek View Post
OK, maybe a little off topic but this shifting pattern works best if you drive for the best fuel economy (so you do not need fast acceleration):
shift to 2nd at 10MPH
shift to 3rd at 25 MPH
shift to 4th at 35 MPH
shift to 5th at 45 MPH
"Best" compared to what?

How do you know that 11 MPH, 24 MPH, 33 MPH and 46 MPH wouldn't be better, for example?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #46
paraganek

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback 5 speed
Send a message via ICQ to paraganek
Quote:
"Best" compared to what?
How do you know that 11 MPH, 24 MPH, 33 MPH and 46 MPH wouldn't be better, for example?
The numbers I posted are based on many Yaris forum members experience (both with and without Scangauge II), unfortunately all those posts are lost now
Old 10-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #47
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
You shouldn't have to buy the most expensive trim level just to get a tach. At the very least, it should be available as a stand alone option.
But you see how it's a good business decision on Toyota's part, correct? You think you shouldn't have to buy the highest trim for the tach. I think my lowest priced Playstation 3 should have a memory stick slot, which they offer on the higher model. They could easily just add it on since they offer it on the top model, but I bought the "base" model and was well aware that the slot would not be included and was not an option, just as you were aware they didn't offer the tach on the sub-S models. I can add the slot later using a USB adapter, just as you are able to add an aftermarket tach to the Yaris after purchase.

Not including the tach on the lower models entices buyers to upgrade to the S model. I already wanted the S model, but once I heard the S model of the liftback was the only one that had the tach, I was sold. This is not a bait and switch, certain models only offer certain options. I'm sure there are plenty of people that wanted S-style seats in their base Yarises, but that's not an option. It's only available in the S model.

You know what they offered, they don't hold a gun to your head telling you you need to buy the S. They tell you what you can get, then leave the decision up to you.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #48
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
I've been through this argument with many others. I'll go over it with you.

Toyota didn't include a tach, to provide a super cheap ass Yaris. Want a tach? Get a S model. Still don't like it? Get a Fit.

Earlier you had stated that you NEED a tach for a manual transmission, but now you're saying,

Its bad enough Toyota isn't making much on these cars anyways. Toyota obviously doesn't care about the Yaris, as they do the other models. There's nearly no Yaris commercials anymore.
I'm not buying that Toyota isn't making much money on the Yaris. It can't cost Toyota much more than $8K to put a Yaris on the Dealer's lot, and yet Toyota can't keep them on the lots at $12-$17K. They don't advetise them because they don't have to. You also can't get any buyer's incentives on them, again because they sell themselves.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #49
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraganek View Post
The numbers I posted are based on many Yaris forum members experience (both with and without Scangauge II), unfortunately all those posts are lost now

Damn. I will try those shift points. Thanks for posting that
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #50
Japmuscle

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan 5sp
Interesting

Quote:
I don't understand.

The owner's manual says 59 MPH can be achieved in 2nd gear, while you say 44 MPH...

And the owner's manual says 86 MPH in 3rd gear, which is faster than the 80 MPH you listed for 4th gear...

And why does the owner's manual only list the first 3 gears for a 5 speed manual trans...?
I cant remember what 1,2,3rd gears get to but 4th gets to 115 on my 08' 5spd sdn
Japmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #51
PerfectoII
PWN'ING NOOBS SINCE PONG

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
1st:about 32mph
2nd about 63 mph
3rd about 81 mph
4th around 102 mph
5th cuts off at just 117/118..........

im not stock and have I/H/E, crank pulley.........
Decided to try 4th at 80-95 mph today...car did very well up hill for the whole duration (about 25 seconds...) no CAI or pulley...
PerfectoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #52
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
The theoretically ideal revs at which to change up at to get max acceleration will vary depending on whether you are going up a hill, on a flat road, or going down a hill. It's all arbitrary.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #53
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If you're just looking for max revs, you can determine that yourself by revving up to the rev limiter in each gear. (On an off road course, of course.)
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:18 AM   #54
Zig-Zag
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 1.3 AT,Mica Black
''There's nothing wrong with revving these engines to redline - even on a relatively frequent basis. This engine is a DOHC/16 valve with variable valve timing. It's designed to rev.''

Hello there,

I dont understand this?
Are not all engines desinged to rev?wats special abt yaris,every other model also has vvt,n other car manu. gives it other names. eg honda - ivtec.

How frequent is relatively frequent ? everyday 10 times is ok?Doesnt this wear out the engine,instead of the car lasting 200000 kms at peak efficenicy it might taper of at 150000,isnt that a concern?
Zig-Zag is offline   Reply With Quote