Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
car antenna question

i have a sirius radio antenna on my roof for my sirius radio..obviously... anyways, how is an antenna wired? i had an idea that i wanted to run by some of the seasoned audio people. can i cut off the end of the antenna and splice or tap it into the factory radio antenna wire so it will share an antenna? i do not like having that magnetic antenna on my car because it tends to scratch it. any ideas?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

ok i understand now. well i had the sirius antenna right above my drivers door and i moved it last night to run through the car and out the hatch, but now it makes a turbo whining noise which i guess in the interference between the 2 antennas?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
Desperauto
The Old Man

Drives: 2008 yaris HB black sand pearl
I ran my antenna threw the firewall and placed it inside the cold air intake for the inside of the car. Its hidden and well protected and still gets good reception..
Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

you put it under the plastic cowl?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

i figured out what it was, my audio cable going from the sirius unit to the aux input was broken. put a new one on, good as new. :) i do like the idea of the shark antenna though
Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
well you will be running into impedance problems, first because it will not be matched to the radio anymore and second because you will be using 2 receivers at the same time (if i understand what you want to do). Second the car radio antenna works with much smaller frequencies than the satellite radio (2.32Ghz to 2.33GHz for Sirius and 2.332Ghz to 2.45Ghz for XM) so your other antenna might not pick up the signal properly or at all for that matter. What i have done with my XM radio antenna i tucked it right behind my VG Sharkfin antenna and ran the wire through the hatch. If you get the VG Sharkfin you can put the satellite antenna right under it and hide it. there is enough space under there
ive seen vhf/uhf/shf antennas before. and to run two rx off of one antenna he would just need a multicoupler.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #7
goku87

Drives: Black HB
oops. didnt think about the multicoupler bandwidth limitations. had a dumb moment.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote