Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
ecmiyake

Drives: yaris, venza
HID Help!!

Ok, i've purchased a slim ballast H4 HID kit from DDM motors, I didn't ordered the h4 hi/lo one, but only the regular H4 kit. I thought the installation should be just plug and play, but after plugging everything in, i tried to turn on the lights, nothing happened. supposely it's very simple, that i've installed HID on my Venza's fog, it's just as simple as connecting the 4 wires, and nothing should go wrong there.

I noticed that for our stock light bulb, there're 3 legs, and the HID kit i bought, the connector from the ballast that connect with the stock light source has only 2 legs, is that why my lights don't go on? did i bought the wrong kit? HELP please.
ecmiyake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
well you loose the high beam, so just switch the legs around and see which one is work, or look for color matching wires. Do you also got the DRL? if yes disable it don't know how? "search the forum" and good luck
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
the answer is reverse polarity... try reversing the 2 wires from the hid..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
should be three wires, because an H4 bulb is high & low beams. (I think)

Can you post a pic? Or explain a little more how you got an H4 without hi/lo?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
ecmiyake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
should be three wires, because an H4 bulb is high & low beams. (I think)

Can you post a pic? Or explain a little more how you got an H4 without hi/lo?
I asked an Ebay seller about the different between a regular H4 bulb and a H4 with Hi/lo ,my reply was the regular H4, you get HID with low beam, then for the high beam and DRL, will be halogen, and the H4 hi/lo is bi-xenon. So i chose the regular bulb. here's a pic of what the bulb and the connector look like. i would try to switch the legs and see if it'll work later, thanks.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
You are getting bad info here.
A plain H4 Xenon bulb has a low beam only. If your kit isn't working you just didn't wire them correctly.
There is a H4 Low-only, and H4 Xenon-low/Halogen High and an H4 Bi-Xenon.
The pic you posted is very small but I don't see a high beam
Also, you are going to hate the dispersion when you do light it up because a good Xenon H4 bulb should have a nice glare shield built in.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
ecmiyake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kargoboy View Post
A plain H4 Xenon bulb has a low beam only. If your kit isn't working you just didn't wire them correctly.
Also, you are going to hate the dispersion when you do light it up because a good Xenon H4 bulb should have a nice glare shield built in.
the bulb look much like my H11 bulb, except it's got the metal shield.
according to your description, i think i've got the H4 low only kit. so i'll lose my high beam and the DRL right? if i buy a H4 bi xenon bulb, is it gonna work with my slim ballast? because i notice that , the wirings for a slim ballast kit and reglar ballast kit are different?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Hemidan

Drives: 08 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargoboy View Post

So,you don't recommend putting HID's in ??
Hemidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
kargoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmiyake View Post
the bulb look much like my H11 bulb, except it's got the metal shield.
according to your description, i think i've got the H4 low only kit. so i'll lose my high beam and the DRL right? if i buy a H4 bi xenon bulb, is it gonna work with my slim ballast? because i notice that , the wirings for a slim ballast kit and reglar ballast kit are different?
You will definitely lose your high beam. I can't really answer your DRL question though as my experience with them is pretty non-existant...it depends on what they are wired into. There are DRL bypasses available, too...or you can redirect them to your parking or fogs if you know someone who is good with wiring.
I haven't seen Garm's kits yet, but the Bi-Xenons I used to sell had different ballasts than the 35-watt kits. But you could splice them to work with regular
HID kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidan View Post
So,you don't recommend putting HID's in ??
Oh, hell, yes I think you should install them. I have HID kits on my own car and the wife's Yaris. The difference at night is amazing. What I am saying is. don't buy crappy HID kits with no glare shield. Here's a pic of what you should look for. This is an H4 bulb with a Xenon low and Halogen high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H4Closeup2.jpg (214.4 KB, 205 views)
Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
ecmiyake

after tried and changed the legs in the connector on the HID kit afew times, and switched the wires left and right, finally i've got the lights to work!! but i lost my high beam and the DRL. i have a sets of after market fog lights, i'm wondering, if i run a wire from the 3rd leg off the car connector, (which is missing now)could i use that as the positive for the fog,and run the fog negative to the car's body,will the fog be turn on as the DRL and high beam?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
kargoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmiyake View Post
after tried and changed the legs in the connector on the HID kit afew times, and switched the wires left and right, finally i've got the lights to work!! but i lost my high beam and the DRL. i have a sets of after market fog lights, i'm wondering, if i run a wire from the 3rd leg off the car connector, (which is missing now)could i use that as the positive for the fog,and run the fog negative to the car's body,will the fog be turn on as the DRL and high beam?
Did you read what I wrote? Your bulbs don't have a high beam. Even if you wired the High Beam in it would just be the same bulb in the same position so there'd be no difference.
As for your other question, no, it won't work that way.

Anyone from Canada who has high an HID kit please feel free to post your .02
Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
what'd you pay for your kit shipped to canada?

i sell hid kits online and i really dislike the low-beam-only kits and often recommend my customers skip the kits w/ the halogen high beams as well. i therefore recommend bixenons as theyre not that much more money that the halogen high beams or the single-beam kits, for that matter...

i run bixenon H4's in my yaris and theyre great...i would never ever use low-only's....you never realize how much you use your highs until you don't have them

i installed a kit for crandall that was low's-only and we had to monkey w/ the wiring as well to find the proper low/ground setup
Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
ecmiyake

darn, seems like i ran into another problem with those darn lights. that for a few times, the darn lights will turn on before i start the engine, but not after the engine has started.have to shut the engine, turn the lights on, and then start the engine again.. does anyone out there experienced the same problem? what's the fix please...
Old 12-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
thebarber
daily driver

do you have daytime running lights?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
another question for those who sell HID in here, i'm currently running 35watts hid slim ballast without relay wire, i do notice my lights is not as bright lately, it's on my car for almost 2 years now.
Do relay wire to battery help? it's will be brighter?
I do not get flickering or anything like that. It's work like a charm.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

ballasts could be going...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
ecmiyake

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
do you have daytime running lights?

i've got the single low beam bulbs, so no DRL, but i did noticed when i turn the lights switch one notch, just to turn off the head lights, but with the rear and corner lights still on, the HID will flicker for afew more seconds before it finally turns completely off.

would replacing those bulbs with bi-xenon bulbs sovlve this problem? with bi-xenon bulbs, would i get DRL ?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
How can you not have DRL? It has been mandatory since 1991 that all vehicles sold in Canada have DRL.