Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Introducing Hüsker

Just wanted to share a picture of my new 2014 Yaris SE. Her name is Hüsker. Bonus points if anyone can figure out the origin of her name. (Hint: She's Magnetic Gray Metallic.)

Bought her last week and am still getting a feel for the car but so far I am very satisfied. There are a few idiosyncrasies to get used to but my only real complaint so far is the extremely light throttle, my leg starts to hurt after driving for a while. I am still experimenting with different seating positions to try and alleviate that but it may be something that I will just have to get used to. Not a complaint per se but it would have been nice to have an armrest as well. How much would that have really added to the cost of the car? Seems like a missed opportunity Toyota.

This is my first Toyota. I am coming from a 2010 VW Golf TDI, which I thought was my dream car when I purchased it 4 years ago but it turned into a constant headache. I had problems with it from day one. A very unreliable vehicle, just one thing after another, until I finally chose to throw in the towel. So when I decided to replace it reliability was my primary concern and since Toyota is at the top of the reliability ratings my choice was easy. I wanted a small fuel efficient hatchback and the Yaris was it. The simplicity of the vehicle really impresses me, a tried and true engine/transmission combo, room to work in the engine bay (although hopefully I won't have to do much of that) and a design philosophy of "Less is More" which I find appealing. I did get the SE with power windows/locks/mirrors/cruise/ however. I am not a total technological Luddite. Although reliability was my main priority I am very impressed with the car overall, everything just comes together nicely. The agile handling really surprised me and I'm loving the stereo too.

Going to go drive my car now. Bye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800.jpg (213.3 KB, 115 views)
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Nice color choice. Is it auto or manual? Did you trade in your Golf? What was the final price?
One thing I like about the engine is the placement of the oil filter.
I don't even have to lift the car for oil changes. :)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:35 AM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Just wanted to share a picture of my new 2014 Yaris SE. Her name is Hüsker. Bonus points if anyone can figure out the origin of her name. (Hint: She's Magnetic Gray Metallic.)
The only thing that popped into my head was the name of the band Husker Du (sorry, getting this device to do umlauts = ?). I then looked up their discography. I imagine that is what you are eluding to with the hint, as the title of one of their albums is 'Metal Circus'. I'd forgotten there's also a kid's game called Husker Du.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
maybe you are a Nebraska Cornhusker fan....or there are so few SE's that you had to procure the car from Nebraksa.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Congratulations & Welcome - it is a very nice looking Yaris
Why does it have 4 doors instead of 2

All cars are different, you will learn to get used to the things that bug you (or try to do something to fix that) Sorry about the other car. You reach a point where enough is enough.
Looks like from what you posted you did some research on this car. Lots of positive experiences here. Great car, so glad I found one, too
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
keiri
Owns Toyotas

Drives: 1999 Toyota Celica GT
Congratulations and welcome to the SE club! :D

The light throttle - counter to the heavier, constant foot down of my 6gc - is one of two things that annoy me about the car; the other is the seating height/position. Other than those quirks the car is a fun and competent little commuter which the better half loves - which makes sense as it's her car.

As for the armrest, you can purchase the OEM 2014 one from Toyota (Conicelli Toyota - partznet.com - has it for $145 shipped after 10% off coupon).
Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
The only thing that popped into my head was the name of the band Husker Du (sorry, getting this device to do umlauts = ?). I then looked up their discography. I imagine that is what you are eluding to with the hint, as the title of one of their albums is 'Metal Circus'. I'd forgotten there's also a kid's game called Husker Du.
Yes Hüsker is from Hüsker Dü but I was motivated by the "Candy Apple Grey" album but now that you mention "Metal Circus" I see how that makes sense too.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Nice color choice. Is it auto or manual? Did you trade in your Golf? What was the final price?
One thing I like about the engine is the placement of the oil filter.
I don't even have to lift the car for oil changes. :)
Thanks. I originally wanted Lagoon Blue Mica but that color seems to be very rare in SE trim. There was only one near me and when I went to inspect it there was some cosmetic problems with the car so I passed.

It's auto trans. I drive in NYC, I will buy a manual trans car just as soon as I can buy a bionic left leg.

I paid $17,446 for the car. That's before tax, title, etc. and yes the Golf was traded in.

Last edited by NYC-SE; 05-01-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I drive in NYC, I will buy a manual trans car just as soon as I can buy a bionic left leg.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote