Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #37
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I wouldn't worry too much about this month's sales. It's likely dealers are low on stock since the 2015 models should be out in the next couple of months. Expect sales to be slow until the '15 models hit.

This happens with all outgoing models.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #38
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
um, Southeast Toyota is a privately owned company Toyota has no ownership stake in. It covers all the traditional Southern states.

I'm not going to buy another Yaris. I bought mine because I was looking for gas mileage, a 3 door, and a manual.

However Toyota refuses to put any new tech into the Yaris, because God forbid its EPA numbers are anywhere near the Prius. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers a Yaris gets from the EPA test is actually higher than Toyota chooses to report.

When I bought my Yaris is had the highest MPG for non hybrid vehicles. Now it is way down the list.

But the biggest problem is price. The Yaris is a car that has to come in $10k - $15k at absolute most. The car is just too expensive, and unlike other cars in its class, it has next to no features.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #39
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Are you saying you want the Yaris to have the same features it has now for <$15k, or would you be willing to pay more for more features?
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #40
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
unlike other cars in its class, it has next to no features.
Which features that other cars in the class have do you wish the Yaris had (or think the Yaris should have) ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #41
Onwrdigo

Drives: Yaris LE 4-Door
Features?

I can understanding wanting more compared to the competition.

Thing is, the Yaris seems to have everything except a Moon Roof, standard alloy wheels across the range, variable delay front wiper and an intermittent rear wiper and an armrest ( I bought a square, black "pleather" pillow to put in-between the front seats and it is way more comfortable than any armrest I have come across.)

Then again...

We have all the safety stuff: ABS, Traction Control, Vehicle Stability Control, Brake Assist, 9 airbags including seat bottom and knee airbag and more.

A "spare tire is standard" instead of a "kit" that almost all the other competition had instead. Kia wanted $300 bucks for me to add a spare tire and jack to replace the kit. Fiat wanted about the same. And for my beach trips, I am able to pack a lot of items around that tire and still close the lid even before I start packing the cargo area.

We have outside temp reading, instant and overall mileage readouts, miles to empty, Bluetooth phone hook-up, plug-in for devices.

We also have a cool little feature of being able to roll-up the power windows after the ignition is shut off.

Interior lights will shut off after a few hours if you leave them on accidentally...at least mine does. I don't recommend testing this. It happened once to me. I was like "whoa, that is cool".

I am glad we have the old 4-speed automatic...it is proven, bulletproof and shifts way better/smoother than any of the others that had more modern transmissions. "And", I am averaging 37 m.p.g. on pure highway driving at 70-75 m.p.h. with a/c on; almost the same as those 6-speed automatics. Go drive a Focus/Fiesta, you will be shocked how bad those transmissions act.

If direct-injection makes a car better, yet sounds as bad as it did on first start-up and driving the first few minutes (at least on the Rio), you can keep it. Give me the old-school Yaris. I have owned many types of cars.... 1 Ford, 6 VW's, 2 Isuzu's, 2 BMW's, 1 Saturn, 1 Jeep, 2 Mazda's, 2 Toyota's, 1 Scion. My Yaris handles hills and has a power to weight ratio better than most of them. Believe or not, it reminds me of the "good" traits" my BMW's had in many ways. I still have my '05 Scion xB with 95,000 miles on it and it has been "amazing" in reliability with the same engine and transmission as our Yaris'. I know one guy with an '06 xB that has 340,000 miles on it and he has only replaced the water pump and oil pan gasket besides the regular maintenance. That engine is still quiet and that auto transmission still shifts smooth-as-new. To me, "Old-School" can have some really nice advantages. I like "longevity and proven reliability" that goes with the old-school Yaris....That was one of the top reasons I bought it.

And the maintenance schedule is just dang-awesome. It is so easy and cheap to do.

Personally, I think it is a hell-uv-a-deal....and not all, but "some" dealers will deal on them. I got almost two grand off the sticker of my brand new Yaris LE with 5 miles on the odo. It had been on the lot for only 4 days.

But I "do" respect those who want more''''.....All of us will always want more of something in some way.

Peace''

Last edited by Onwrdigo; 08-07-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Onwrdigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #42
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
My Yaris never struck me as a BMW in any regard. I have owned 2002's & 3 series cars.
The Yaris does remind me of one of my favorite cars to drive. A real Mini,
the kind with the 10" radial. You can drive it flat out most of the time through any twisties. Just fun to push it the corners, easy to park, fun in the city and good on gas.
The only thing I can't do is make a u-turn in my garage or the apron up to.
Just wish they were a little lighter.
Steve
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #43
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwrdigo View Post

Thing is, the Yaris seems to have everything except a Moon Roof, standard alloy wheels across the range, variable delay front wiper and an intermittent rear wiper and an armrest ( I bought a square, black "pleather" pillow to put in-between the front seats and it is way more comfortable than any armrest I have come across.)

Then again...

We have all the safety stuff: ABS, Traction Control, Vehicle Stability Control, Brake Assist, 9 airbags including seat bottom and knee airbag and more.

A "spare tire is standard" instead of a "kit" that almost all the other competition had instead. Kia wanted $300 bucks for me to add a spare tire and jack to replace the kit. Fiat wanted about the same. And for my beach trips, I am able to pack a lot of items around that tire and still close the lid even before I start packing the cargo area.

We have outside temp reading, instant and overall mileage readouts, miles to empty, Bluetooth phone hook-up, plug-in for devices.

We also have a cool little feature of being able to roll-up the power windows after the ignition is shut off.

Interior lights will shut off after a few hours if you leave them on accidentally...at least mine does. I don't recommend testing this. It happened once to me. I was like "whoa, that is cool".

I am glad we have the old 4-speed automatic...it is proven, bulletproof and shifts way better/smoother than any of the others that had more modern transmissions. "And", I am averaging 37 m.p.g. on pure highway driving at 70-75 m.p.h. with a/c on; almost the same as those 6-speed automatics. Go drive a Focus/Fiesta, you will be shocked how bad those transmissions act.

If direct-injection makes a car better, yet sounds as bad as it did on first start-up and driving the first few minutes (at least on the Rio), you can keep it. Give me the old-school Yaris. I have owned many types of cars.... 1 Ford, 6 VW's, 2 Isuzu's, 2 BMW's, 1 Saturn, 1 Jeep, 2 Mazda's, 2 Toyota's, 1 Scion. My Yaris handles hills and has a power to weight ratio better than most of them. Believe or not, it reminds me of the "good" traits" my BMW's had in many ways. I still have my '05 Scion xB with 95,000 miles on it and it has been "amazing" in reliability with the same engine and transmission as our Yaris'. I know one guy with an '06 xB that has 340,000 miles on it and he has only replaced the water pump and oil pan gasket besides the regular maintenance. That engine is still quiet and that auto transmission still shifts smooth-as-new. To me, "Old-School" can have some really nice advantages. I like "longevity and proven reliability" that goes with the old-school Yaris....That was one of the top reasons I bought it.

And the maintenance schedule is just dang-awesome. It is so easy and cheap to do.

Personally, I think it is a hell-uv-a-deal....and not all, but "some" dealers will deal on them. I got almost two grand off the sticker of my brand new Yaris LE with 5 miles on the odo. It had been on the lot for only 4 days.

But I "do" respect those who want more''''.....All of us will always want more of something in some way.

Peace''
. Under 47k miles behind your friend with the '06 xB and (other than regular maintenance) I've only replaced the alternator and the front wheel bearings.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #44
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
im happy to have all the advanced safety features that really matter, though I think I draw the line at cars self maneuvering for accident avoidance and such.

however, all the tech stuff just does nothing for me. power locks and windows is as much as I need (and I don't really need the windows).

id love to see a return to true quality built stripper cars with a few essentials.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #45
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
ONWRIGO hit it on the head for why I own a Yaris instead of some other car. Something simple, reliable and easy to maintain and repair.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #46
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Are you saying you want the Yaris to have the same features it has now for <$15k, or would you be willing to pay more for more features?
I'm saying to be competitive the Yaris needs to start near $10k, like it did when it came out. The strength of the Yen is the main thing that is killing Yaris sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Which features that other cars in the class have do you wish the Yaris had (or think the Yaris should have) ?
Direct Injection, a 6 speed manual and a modern at least 6 speed automatic. Automatic stop start when you come to a light. All tech that would help gas mileage and should come on all modern vehicles. Other things not mentioned, but that is blamed on all auto manufacturers who have focused on hp so much and have not really tried for better gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwrdigo View Post

Then again...

Peace''
The safety stuff is garbage. It only adds weight and unneeded complexity. It is also federally mandated because apparently we are too stupid to be able to actually drive ourselves. Airbags are weapons, and there is no real correlation to safety above the actual injuries they cause.

So you get 37 mpg on the highway and think that is good? It is not. I get around 45 driving in stop and go traffic on roads with a max speed limit of 50 mph. And I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but a modern automatic transmission could probably get what I do without a sweat.

Toyota does not really want to sell the Yaris. They don't want to let everyone know it could get gas mileage just as good if not better than a Prius. They don't want to put any money into really making it better, it has used the same transmission and engine since the Echo.

Now I love my Yaris, and I probably will keep it forever, but I would not buy another one unless Toyota shows it really wants to give the US what it gives other countries, and it does not try to protect the Prius for some idiotic reason.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #47
Lost4Kate
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris
i was in for an oil change, 110K, and asked to look at a new yaris. The largest toyota dealer in rochester does not have a yaris on the lot, has to be ordered.

they say the prius c is better. I sat in one, there is 2 inches less headroom. I actually can rub my head on the ceiling

sucks,

before my yaris, i was a die hard saturn owner

toyota is getting like GM, just wants to sell more expensive cars
Lost4Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #48
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I personally don't want stop-start or direct injection. Neither of those technologies are proving to be trouble free.

I really would prefer my existing yaris didn't have ABS (ASB= Anti-Stop Brakes)

A 6 speed manual trans would be nice though.

Last edited by Flipper_1938; 08-07-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #49
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
I think I draw the line at cars self maneuvering for accident avoidance and such.
Yep. I'd think the appeal would be for people who really don't like the act of driving.

Quote:
id love to see a return to true quality built stripper cars with a few essentials.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #50
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo 2 View Post
ONWRIGO hit it on the head for why I own a Yaris instead of some other car. Something simple, reliable and easy to maintain and repair.
Roy
Yep. I echo () those sentiments. *

* (yes Bronsin, I know it's ECHO not echo ).
Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #51
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
needs to start near $10k, like it did when it came out.
I'm assuming (from a U.S. perspective only, of course) that you mean when what we call the ECHO first came out ? The base pice on the 07 5M USDM 3-door was at least 11k+, IIRC.

Quote:
The strength of the Yen is the main thing that is killing Yaris sales.
I agree.

Quote:
Direct Injection, a 6 speed manual and a modern at least 6 speed automatic. Automatic stop start when you come to a light. All tech that would help gas mileage and should come on all modern vehicles. Other things not mentioned, but that is blamed on all auto manufacturers who have focused on hp so much and have not really tried for better gas mileage.
Good points. The only one of those that matters to me personally is the 6-speed manual (which of course the Yaris has in other markets ).

Quote:
federally mandated because apparently we are too stupid to be able to actually drive ourselves.
()

Quote:
So you get 37 mpg on the highway and think that is good? It is not. I get around 45 driving in stop and go traffic on roads with a max speed limit of 50 mph. And I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but a modern automatic transmission could probably get what I do without a sweat.
What percentage or fraction of your ability to do the above is attributable,do you think, to the fact that you've removed your rear seating area, and other items . Even if I could squeeze a couple more MPG out of an automatic over the same car with a manual, I'd still want the manual (as long as the model in question isn't really heavy) knowing I could push the car and compression start it in a pinch if I needed to do that.

Quote:
They don't want to let everyone know it could get gas mileage just as good if not better than a Prius.
Yep +++ .
Old 08-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #52
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost4Kate View Post
i was in for an oil change, 110K, and asked to look at a new yaris. The largest toyota dealer in rochester does not have a yaris on the lot, has to be ordered.
The two Toyota dealerships closest to me are Fred Haas Toyota World and Gullo Toyota. Yesterday, I stopped by both of them. Fred Haas Toyota World is the #1 Tundra dealer in the world, and (overall) the #2 Toyota dealer in the United States (Longo Toyota in El Monte, California is #1). Fred Haas Toyota World had one Yaris....an SE with an automatic transmission. I didn't see any Yarii at all at Gullo.

Quote:
they say the prius c is better
Better as in more profit for them.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #53
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
I really would prefer my existing yaris didn't have ABS (ASB= Anti-Stop Brakes)
One thing I am not looking forward to with a newer Yaris.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #54
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I can say that I don't care if the Yaris has an old "non-tech" engine and transmission. I don't care if the technology is 30 years old: if it works and is proven to be durable, that's all I care about. I could not care less about having a "more modern" drivetrain if it would cost me more.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote