Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2016, 01:59 AM   #1
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Unhappy Crashed my car

Bad weather and slipper road resulted in me crashing my car. Did my best to regain control but only managed to miss a ditch and parked cars. Ended up smashing into a concrete planter box.

My first car crash...

Bumper is stuffed, internal metal bumpers are stuffed. Some metal hit the belt and tore it so I can't really drive it. Lights are okay but the brackets that keep it in place are stuffed.

Any advice on what to look out for when getting repairs done would be appreciated.
Attached Images

JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:25 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Yours doesn't look that bad. Comparable to mine. You could probably do it all yourself except the paint. Most if not all parts besides the bumper cover, you can get from Rockauto.com
They use your vin to make sure you get the right part too. I took mine to the body shop, only because the insurance paid for it.

Are you going to file this as a claim or fix it yourself?
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
Confectious

Drives: T1
Thats Sad.... check to see if your radiator is not damaged and that the engine did not move aswell as your alignment.
Confectious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Looks like mine. Sounds worse. Likely a total loss as mine was for a newer model year.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
To drive short distances like maybe to shops for estimates Im thinking the belt will hold up fine. No belt in the pic so I cant see but unless its hanging by a thread if the cars drivable otherwise don't let the belt stop you.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The biggest thing is to stick with OEM parts. I rebuilt two using aftermarket parts (metal and bumper plastics) and was very unhappy with them in comparison to OEM parts.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 AM   #7
JudgeM

Unfortunately I only have 3rd party insurance. So I have to fork out for all the repairs. original bumper alone is looking at NZ$900. Going to try and see if I can get the bumper repaired. Its just got a gash, not badly distorted or anything.

Panels all seem okay and I think won't need replacing. The internal metal bumpers will need to be replaced but that shouldn't affect cosmetic.

Also looking at getting the light brackets repaired to avoid having to change the entire headlights. Was done on one of my old car's before. Not planning to keep the car for long anyways, might sell him soon.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:49 AM   #8
Confectious

Drives: T1
if original is too expensive get 2nd hand parts instead of aftermarket...even if the metal bumper is not cosmetic and is being replaced with an aftermarket one, i think it will affect the lining up of the bumper.
Confectious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:55 AM   #9
JudgeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confectious View Post
if original is too expensive get 2nd hand parts instead of aftermarket...even if the metal bumper is not cosmetic and is being replaced with an aftermarket one, i think it will affect the lining up of the bumper.

Yes will do. I have instructed the body shop to find 2nd hand parts. Here its pretty easy luckily to get used Vitz part as its quite a common car.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
TBH, doesnt look too bad. Most if not all can be repaired yourself. The bumper can be reused. Did the rad/condensor get damaged? I'm sure theres probably places that can do repairs at a good price when you live. I'm assuming you need a frame machine or 4 ton frame jack to pull some metal out, seeing that the hood doesnt line up.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The biggest thing is to stick with OEM parts. I rebuilt two using aftermarket parts (metal and bumper plastics) and was very unhappy with them in comparison to OEM parts.
what was wrong with it?
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I swapped airflow meters on the aircleaner with my sons ECHO to trouble shoot a code and FORGOT to swap back the rebuilt meter I bought for $90 to his car when we sold it!

So my litttle beauty Yaris has a non OEM MAF sensor!

Been in there maybe 4 years though.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #13
JudgeM

An update on whats happened:

I was quite busy with work at the time so I asked my broNlaw to help me out. He knows some body shops and repairers. I told him ask them to do a good job, I dont mind paying bit more, and guaranteed work with a receipt.

Got the car back. Looks good from a distance but close up things dont seem to line up. Over the days I have driven, there have been some weird sounds from the engine bay. loud bang sound when going over potholes. ABS light comes on quite frequently.

Take it to Toyota to have the ABS looked at and the horror I received:

Front rails bent
Engine shifted to one side by 20mm
water pump damaged and leaking
pulley bent
wiring has been cut in places
lot of codes being thrown up in relation to the ABS.

The repair by the body shop has been totally superficial. Underneath the chassis is still damaged, there are bits missing and they've screwed the bumper (filled and painted over) on one side so it cant even be removed now without cutting it. Furthermore they've cut some wires here and there.

In short, my car has not bin repaired but its made to look like it has. Next week the body shop gonna get some rage. It's not about the money, I just wanted the car fixed.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #14
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Wow, I would take them to court so fast. That sucks.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:38 AM   #15
JudgeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post
Wow, I would take them to court so fast. That sucks.
I am considering this. I can take them to the small claims court. I think I have a good case especially since I have recently learned that these guys do alot of under table jobs, tax evasion and illegal private jobs.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:06 AM   #16
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
That's a bummer. Sorry you have to deal with that bs. Hopefully it works out in your favor.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:50 AM   #17
JudgeM

Yea long story short it didn't quite work out in my favor.
Since family was involved, there are some complications that prevent me from going ahead for trying to pursue the body shop to remedy the situation. Also coupled with the fact it will be a long drawn out process, I've decided to cut my losses.

Good news is though I managed to trade it for another car, and considering the amount of damage, I got a good deal. Sadly though, my Vitz days are over :(
Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #18
bronsin

Sad story but I feel your Vitz experience has enriched your life in ways that may not be immediately apparent to you but eventually will make their influence manifest.

Tags
crash