Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Spellino

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
Oxygen sensor

Hello Yaris world. So I took my 2007 sedan to the Toyota workshop. After diagnosis, it came out that my check engine light is on because the oxygen sensor isn't working anymore.

What does it do? Can I buy one from AliExpress to DIY?
Spellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellino View Post
Hello Yaris world. So I took my 2007 sedan to the Toyota workshop. After diagnosis, it came out that my check engine light is on because the oxygen sensor isn't working anymore.

What does it do? Can I buy one from AliExpress to DIY?
Did they indicate if it was the upstream (wideband) sensor, or the downstream (post-cat) sensor? The upstream sensor measures air/fuel ratio, the downstream sensor measures residual oxygen after the exhaust has passed through the cataylic converter. Upstream sensor = more expensive, can affect driveability, fuel economy, downstream sensor = less expensive, should have no effect on driveability. It is an easy DIY job but finicky. The hardest part I found was getting up into the car and unclipping the connectors. I bought a very cheap (~$17.00) downstream sensor, but wouldn't have cheaped out on the upstream if I had had to replace it.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-07-2017 at 04:22 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Spellino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Did they indicate if it was the upstream (wideband) sensor, or the downstream (post-cat) sensor? The upstream sensor measures air/fuel ratio, the downstream sensor measures residual oxygen after the exhaust has passed through the cataylic converter. Upstream sensor = more expensive, can effect driveability, fuel economy, downstream sensor = less expensive, should have no effect on driveability. It is an easy DIY job but finicky. The hardest part I found was getting up into the car and unclipping the connectors. I bought a very cheap (~$17.00) downstream sensor, but wouldn't have cheaped out on the upstream if I had had to replace it.
No. I was just told it's the oxygen sensor and that he wouldn't recommend that I change, due to the fact That in my country, Ghana, it will be difficult to buy unleaded fuel and changing it will fix it temporarily.

He opened the hood to show me where it was, just behind the engine.

I'm beginning to think I should take the car somewhere else. Are you saying that there are two? Mine is the 4 speed automatic
Old 11-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellino View Post
No. I was just told it's the oxygen sensor and that he wouldn't recommend that I change, due to the fact That in my country, Ghana, it will be difficult to buy unleaded fuel and changing it will fix it temporarily.

He opened the hood to show me where it was, just behind the engine.

I'm beginning to think I should take the car somewhere else. Are you saying that there are two? Mine is the 4 speed automatic
Hi Spellino.

On my model there are two o2 sensors. Not certain about your car. If it is right behind the engine, it is probably the upstream sensor. I'm going to defer to others here that are much more knowledgeable than I. Also, not sure what impact leaded fuel would have on the emission system or other systems.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
How much did he quote you for the repair? He didnt mention which sensor? There are cheap ones you can buy online but personally, I would get something branded if you can, like NTK, Denso I think makes the original.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:34 AM   #6
Spellino

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkxfirex View Post
How much did he quote you for the repair? He didnt mention which sensor? There are cheap ones you can buy online but personally, I would get something branded if you can, like NTK, Denso I think makes the original.
Hmm. He hasn't given me a quotation yet.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
leaded fuel will greatly reduce the life of A/F sensor. It will also clog the catalytic converter. Avoid it if you can.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote