Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Northwest
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #37
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
heh, was already out in it, lol. everyone around here seems too scared to go out in it, so, its not really packed down...so there is just a crust over the several inches of snow we got.

either way, seems like most of the idiots are inside for the night. earlier today almost got crunched a few times by people running stop signs and stop lights. i guess the white snow makes people colorblind to red signs and lights, and my white car blends in to the backround.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #38
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
everyone drive safely to work in the morning......I went out to day and after a mile gave up and got a haircut and drove back home.....streets here are solid ice pack with 3 inches of snow then more ice then more snow.....poor car was so bottomed out in it I was afraid I would end up high centered.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #39
Spades
The Hated One

i am not going in to work today, there is 12 inches in some spots...its either stay home or high center the car. if I have to go anywhere it will be in a friends truck or i will be walking,lol...my bumper is not meant to be a snow plow.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #40
Jeff E.

Drives: 2008 White LB
What snow tires??

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
lol, awd + all seasons still equals no traction

just get some better winter tires...

how often is it snowy/icy in portland?
Yeah, right. I have called all over the country and NOBODY has ANY snow tires of ANY kind for this yaris! They are 185/60R15. Thinking about trading for a jeep if I can't get snow tires.
Jeff E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #41
Spades
The Hated One

well, we only get snow like once (if that often) a year. ice, well, thats ussually a few times a year.

as far as snow tires, if you are looking in the northwest, good luck with that, cause this snow scare made people buy most of the local supply out a week ago.

you might try looking for a differant size, as in, a wider or taller tire....that might not be a common size for snow tires it sounds like...i have 15's on my yaris right now, not sure the size, pretty tall suckers though. i dont really care, my speedo is off normally anyway, cause i have a very wide and tall 17" tire on there normally.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #42
Jeff E.

Drives: 2008 White LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
well, we only get snow like once (if that often) a year. ice, well, thats ussually a few times a year.

as far as snow tires, if you are looking in the northwest, good luck with that, cause this snow scare made people buy most of the local supply out a week ago.

you might try looking for a differant size, as in, a wider or taller tire....that might not be a common size for snow tires it sounds like...i have 15's on my yaris right now, not sure the size, pretty tall suckers though. i dont really care, my speedo is off normally anyway, cause i have a very wide and tall 17" tire on there normally.
They told me that the intelli transmission would have to be recalibrated by the dealer if I changed tire size and thus it would not be good for the vehicle. What say thee? :)
Jeff E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #43
Spades
The Hated One

well, i am not finding the information i want to know on the internet, and i did not go into work today as our shop was closed, so my access to our online auto manuals is unavailable right now.

basically, the transmission shifts off of RPM's, and the transmission is most likely using a wheel speed sensor if they are concerned about tire size. they use such devices for ABS systems but sometimes also to help with traction control. by going with a larger or smaller tire it would change the gear ratios and therefore would screw up the readings. most ABS and traction control systems dont care, because their only function is to detect wheel lock up or spin and back off the brakes, but if they are for whatever reason tieing the traction control and your sensor readings into the transmissions computer, changing wheel and tire sizes could potentially screw up your shift patterns or possibly screw with traction control if you have it.

to what extent if any, I wouldn't know unless I could find some info on what your transmission is doing with the wheel speed indicater readings. so, i would see if the dealer you are talking to could explain to you what the transmission would do if you were to put a differant wheel or tire size on the car.

at any rate, you could run roughly the same height of tire but wider. I havent worked at a tire shop yet, so i dont know what would be a appropriate size, but, the first number stands for the tire width...second number is a percentage of height to width. this is if i am remembering right, im not a tire guy.

so, basically you have a 185mm wide tire and a 111mm tall tire (185/60r15). sooo...a 200/55r15 would be 110mm tall...something tells me 1mm wont screw with your transmission...i mean, you can loose alot more height than that by running your tires 5 pounds low on air, and there is no way any car manufacturer would make a transmission that could be permanently damaged from losing 2 pounds of air in your tire...
Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #44
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
GF took something like 6 hrs to get to Portland from Eugene last night. I called her at 1:30am and she was in Aurora going 7mph. Originally I was supposed to drive her today, but she hitched a ride with a friend who was picking someone up.

This means I get to drive to Portland Saturday and bring her back. No Les Schwab stores in the Springfield/Eugene area have chains for the 185/60/15 tire. I checked the forecast and it looks like the stuff might melt off a bit, I'm hoping so, cause I think I may end up doing this with year old Stock tires... WOOWOOWOO!

I'll check the other tire stores, and even might try walmart (ugghhh) for chains on friday if the roads are still looking like they will be horrible on sat.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #45
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I got back last night from my vacation in california and the roads are pretty good now. Took I-5 and then 205 to get home. Did see a dumbass accord driver from california in southern oregon pass by me going way too fast, found him 5 minutes later on the side of the road because he hit the gravel on the roads, bounced off the concrete retaining wall and landed in a snow ditch totalling his car.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #46
Desperauto
The Old Man

Drives: 2008 yaris HB black sand pearl
I dont think many of us will complain about the rain now. It is nice to see the pavement again, although my little baby has been sitting in the garage the hole time. Been driving the company truck. Just couldnt see all that gravel and mud hitting my baby.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #47
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Yeah; I haven't driven my car since the 19th!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #48
Wallyg

Drives: 3 door HB
I had around 2ft of snow at my house. I had Schwabies put a set of studded snow tires on my car a couple of weeks ago. I had no trouble getting around. I was able to play taxi for my kids and friends since I was on vacation. It's kinda cool to be able to zip around and help others when they can’t get out. My friends were amazed how well the little car handled in the snow and ice.
Wallyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #49
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
I have a job as a Line Of Site Verification person for DirecTV. I was EVERYWHERE from Port Angeles, to Port Townsend, to Tacoma, to Olympia, to Pyuallup, to Centralia, to Tumwater, to Yelm, and lots of other places between and around those areas. I was in a rear wheel drive Chevy Express van, and it has some seriously long lasting high mileage tires. I hadno grip at all. I saw places with only 4 inches, and I saw places with over 2 feet. EVERYONE seemed to get into an accident here. I watched an Expedition come flying over a hill, lose control, and slam it's back end (while going sideways) into an 08 Scion xA. I was in my neighbors 4 wheel drive F150 at the time, and was about to pull the xA off of a small curb it managed to get stuck on. Lots of damage, but no injuries. They exchanged info then the people in the Expedition seemed very eager to leave the scene. 911 said to go ahead and leave since the cops couldn't be there for like, 3 hours or so. I did take my lowered 08 Yaris LB out though, and had a BLAST! It's a manual, but I am from Wisconsin, so I am VERY used to the snow. It was like having my own drift circut. I ebraked every corner, and was doing about 15 to 25 everywhere. Even subarus and 4x4's were only doing about 10 to 15 that day. I have stock tires still, but I was having so much fun I didn't care. I did manage to get my van stuck about 6 times so far. Had to dig 3 times to get it out. 2 of those times were on hills, and the other 4 were places where people just never drove, so I had to make my own driving path. The van did NOT like that. But, here I am, JAN 1st 2009, and I am still fine, no accidents yet, and not even a close call on my end. Insurance companies are even making radio announcements for people to call the national offices to make their accident claims, because the local offices are so slammed, or people just can't make it to the local offices to work, or to put their claim in. Yeah, I love snow, but no one else here in WA seems to know how to drive in it.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #50
Desperauto
The Old Man

Drives: 2008 yaris HB black sand pearl
Ah,, just remember you don't have to shovel rain..although it was kinda fun watching all the crazy people.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #51
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
You guys are funny

Since December 23rd six feet of snow has fallen in Spokane and the surrounding area - Ya you read right SIX feet.

Believe me, when snow packs down it is, in fact, ice. So ya, lots of snow AND ice. So much snow that a large local retail store had its roof cave in.

I took a couple pics of my back yard - that's my car sticking out of my garage.

Is it spring yet?!?
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #52
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Damm. Hope you got a snow blower. Teenagers are worthless these days.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #53
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I know the Yaris is a small compact car buy the driveway is gonna need to be a little wider judging from that picture.......lol
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #54
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzinn 1 View Post
I know the Yaris is a small compact car buy the driveway is gonna need to be a little wider judging from that picture.......lol
Silly man.
That's the path from my back door. The alley I drive on to get to my garage faces directly out from the rear of my car.

And no. No blower - that's all hand shoveled. I know - I'm a beast!