Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Falconia

Drives: Yaris 1,3 -01 Linea Luna
DRL in Yaris from..?

Hi,

I decided to add an other thread also in here Modifications, maybe you know better. So the question is, where from Yaris have DRL (Daytime Running Light)s? I have Yaris 2001, so is all Yaris made with DRL?
Falconia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The electrical wiring diagrams for 2001 show that some had and some did not have DRL. So, it looks like it was on some Yaris that far back. Even with the current model year (2010) some markets have DRL and some do not.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
Falconia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The electrical wiring diagrams for 2001 show that some had and some did not have DRL. So, it looks like it was on some Yaris that far back. Even with the current model year (2010) some markets have DRL and some do not.
Is it possible to verify is there DRL or not without taking the cover out under the steering wheel? Can saw it for example from lights or their type of working?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconia View Post
Is it possible to verify is there DRL or not without taking the cover out under the steering wheel? Can saw it for example from lights or their type of working?
Yes. If your Yaris has DRLs, as soon as you start the engine the headlights will turn on. If they do not, then your Yaris does not have the DRL module.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Falconia

Quote:
Yes. If your Yaris has DRLs, as soon as you start the engine the headlights will turn on. If they do not, then your Yaris does not have the DRL module.
Okay, after starting the headlights light up after few seconds, so yes I have...

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Falconia

I tried to find DRL module under the steering wheel, but did not found it. There were a few empty sockets and I thought is someone removed the module.

But, when is start the engine, headlights will turn on after one or two seconds, tricky.. Anybody knows where is could find the module and what kind the socket of the module is?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I tried to find DRL module under the steering wheel, but did not found it. There were a few empty sockets and I thought is someone removed the module.

But, when is start the engine, headlights will turn on after one or two seconds, tricky.. Anybody knows where is could find the module and what kind the socket of the module is?
On your car it is just below the top of the dash, to the left of the speedometer.

2001 Dash.jpg
Old 02-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Falconia

Quote:
On your car it is just below the top of the dash, to the left of the speedometer.

Attachment 31699

Oh my god. Looks like impossible thing to remove. I just looked under the steering wheel and it is hard to even see this far.

I asked local Toyota Service about DRL module and they weren't even heard about it. That made me think is these models even DRL (here in Finland). Thought, I read somewhere that Yaris with cold weather package has it. So I assume Finland is cold place enough.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh my god. Looks like impossible thing to remove. I just looked under the steering wheel and it is hard to even see this far.

I asked local Toyota Service about DRL module and they weren't even heard about it. That made me think is these models even DRL (here in Finland). Thought, I read somewhere that Yaris with cold weather package has it. So I assume Finland is cold place enough.
You would have to remove the top of the dash to get at it.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Falconia

Quote:
You would have to remove the top of the dash to get at it.

Are you sure that my car have DRL. Headlights turn on when starting the engine. Is that the sign of DRL and that can't be done otherwise?

I'm just thinking why Toyota service have never heard about DRL in here.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Are you sure that my car have DRL. Headlights turn on when starting the engine. Is that the sign of DRL and that can't be done otherwise?

I'm just thinking why Toyota service have never heard about DRL in here.
The headlights turning on when the engine is running is the definition of daytime running lights, so I am almost positive that your car has DRL. There are other ways to achieve the same effect, but not from the factory. You may be able to get at the DRL module (or at least see if you have it) by removing the speedometer trim and speedometer. That may give you enough space and the correct angle to see or feel the module.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
Falconia

Quote:
The headlights turning on when the engine is running is the definition of daytime running lights, so I am almost positive that your car has DRL. There are other ways to achieve the same effect, but not from the factory. You may be able to get at the DRL module (or at least see if you have it) by removing the speedometer trim and speedometer. That may give you enough space and the correct angle to see or feel the module.

How do I remove speedometer cover?

If I can't remove the DRL module I should buy relay harness, with the relay HID should work even with the DRL, right?

..Am I totally wrong

Last edited by Falconia; 02-16-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
Falconia

ups
Old 02-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Here's how to remove the cover:

2001 Meter Disassembly.jpg
Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #15
Falconia

Quote:
Here's how to remove the cover:

Attachment 31723
Thanks! I will try if I find the module by removing that cap.

Anyway, I get the hid-kit working with this kind of relay harness? Right?

I thought that this kind of relay kits are made for H1/H7 kits on so on that they get power directly from battery. Is that kind of relay kit really needed to pass the DRL? I don't get how that differs from original H4 kit because there power always come directly from battery..?

Last edited by Falconia; 02-17-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

In DRL mode, the headlight bulbs are driven at a lower voltage by pulsing the power to them. That is what makes the DRLs flicker. The relay kit gets past that issue by feeding the HID ballasts full battery voltage instead of the output of the DRL module.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #17
Falconia

Quote:
In DRL mode, the headlight bulbs are driven at a lower voltage by pulsing the power to them. That is what makes the DRLs flicker. The relay kit gets past that issue by feeding the HID ballasts full battery voltage instead of the output of the DRL module.
Yeah, I knew that but in H4 kit the power comes directly from battery without any add-on relay kits?! So what is the point to relay H4 kits "again"? In h4 bixenon kits, there is control relay which gets control from cars h4 socket and the power directly from battery. I really don't know how DRL can mess this up?

And all Yaris has the H4 socket (and usually people get Bixenonkit), so there should not be any problem with DRL because power comes directly from battery.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The headlight switch switches the ground side. The bulbs have power going to them and then the switch makes or breaks ground to the other side. The DRL relay pulses that ground making it look like the bulbs are being run at 1/2 voltage. The relay kit should make it where the other side of the feed is ground or no connection, not the pulsed ground.