Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #199
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobor View Post
Hi everybody,

I own my small Yaris and like the car very much. The only minor thing I miss is the CC feature. Since the european models do not have support for CC built in ECU and I do not want to invest too much money in some aftermarket model, so I decided to build my own one.
The idea is very simple. I would like to use a microcontroller to periodically check all necessary input data (current speed, brake & clutch pedal positions, etc.) and then set the digital2analog converter to emulate the accelerator pedal movement by increasing / decreasing the output voltages on both lines to ECU as the speed of the vehicle is under / over set value.
I currently have an open question related to accelerator pedal connection. There are 6 wires for 2 separate Hall probes to detect the pedal position. Of each set, one wire is +5V, second one is GND and the third one is the output, where voltage changes according to accelerator pedal depression level. I would like to cut these two signal lines and put them as input to CC module and connect another two wires (output from CC) as input to ECU. So far so fine.
But my idea is, that during the time CC is switched off, the signal input and output are directly interconnected and when CC is enabled, the output is fed from DAC. I would like to use a relay controlled by microcontroller for this purpose (see fig.). but I am not sure, if it is a good idea. What is your opinion. Is there any better solution for this?
If I use the relay, will there be any problem with temporary loss of signal to ECU during relay switching (the actual switching time is approx. 5 ms)? Or shall I add some small capacitor between output & ground to smooth the glitches. But I have no idea what capacity to use in order not to influence the response time of accelerator pedal too much.
And finally, do you know about any place where can I get at least accelerator pedal connectors (male & female) or the whole accelerator interface harness from ?
I appreciate any ideas. Thanks
With the amount of development required to safely implement cruise control, I would think that in the end run it will be less expensive to use an aftermarket cruise control system. I realize that the primary aftermarket system available in Europe is very expensive (~$700 US), but I believe that the Rostra aftermarket cruise control system, which is sold in the US and Canada for ~$200 US, will work on the European Yaris.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #200
bobor

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.33 5D HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
With the amount of development required to safely implement cruise control, I would think that in the end run it will be less expensive to use an aftermarket cruise control system. I realize that the primary aftermarket system available in Europe is very expensive (~$700 US), but I believe that the Rostra aftermarket cruise control system, which is sold in the US and Canada for ~$200 US, will work on the European Yaris.
Hi CTScott,
thanks for your response. I admit its time consuming process and there are many risks to consider, but it's my hobby At the moment I would say I have 90% of the source code ready, so there are only minor modifications to be done and a lot of testing and bug fixing But except my free time I invest into it, the parts will cost me not more than 20 EUR ( ~30USD).
Regarding the aftermarket models, the situation is slightly better than you expect, at least here in Slovakia. I can get one for ~450 USD, but still Rostra model even including shipping costs would be cheaper. And I don't see any reason why it should not work on European models.

But as I said, it's a hobby.
bobor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #201
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hi CTScott,
thanks for your response. I admit its time consuming process and there are many risks to consider, but it's my hobby At the moment I would say I have 90% of the source code ready, so there are only minor modifications to be done and a lot of testing and bug fixing But except my free time I invest into it, the parts will cost me not more than 20 EUR ( ~30USD).
Regarding the aftermarket models, the situation is slightly better than you expect, at least here in Slovakia. I can get one for ~450 USD, but still Rostra model even including shipping costs would be cheaper. And I don't see any reason why it should not work on European models.

But as I said, it's a hobby.
OK. In that case, back to your original question - I would not use mechanical relays. I would stick with solid state switching, by transistor or FET, to avoid the switching delays.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #202
bobor

Quote:
OK. In that case, back to your original question - I would not use mechanical relays. I would stick with solid state switching, by transistor or FET, to avoid the switching delays.
Unfortunatelly I do not have any experience with solid state switching. If you could point me to some good tutorial, I would appreciate it But AFAIK in this case, the input signal (voltage level) from either accelerator pedal (hall probes) or DAC would be somehow degradated (lowered) due to voltage drop PN junction.
Solid state switching is definitely faster than mechanical relay. But advantage of a relay is that it does not require power supply to interconnect one of the input lines to the ouput. I though of using this a safety mechanism, so in case anything goes wrong I would just switch off the power supply to cruise control module and the relay would (almost immediatelly) switch back to default state (direct connection of accelerator pedal). But if I find some good solution using solid state, I am about to change my mind.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #203
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Unfortunatelly I do not have any experience with solid state switching. If you could point me to some good tutorial, I would appreciate it But AFAIK in this case, the input signal (voltage level) from either accelerator pedal (hall probes) or DAC would be somehow degradated (lowered) due to voltage drop PN junction.
Solid state switching is definitely faster than mechanical relay. But advantage of a relay is that it does not require power supply to interconnect one of the input lines to the ouput. I though of using this a safety mechanism, so in case anything goes wrong I would just switch off the power supply to cruise control module and the relay would (almost immediatelly) switch back to default state (direct connection of accelerator pedal). But if I find some good solution using solid state, I am about to change my mind.
Here's a pretty good intro to transistor switching.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/trancirc.htm

Rather than switching back and forth, it may actually make more sense to put the microcontroller in between the pedal and the ECM. That way, the ECM samples the pedal outputs and then in normal mode, just emulates what it sees. Then, in CC mode it ignores the input and sends its own output.

The other advantage of this method is that you can improve the throttle response in normal mode (like the Blitz throttle controller does).
Old 05-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #204
bobor

Quote:
Here's a pretty good intro to transistor switching.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/trancirc.htm

Rather than switching back and forth, it may actually make more sense to put the microcontroller in between the pedal and the ECM. That way, the ECM samples the pedal outputs and then in normal mode, just emulates what it sees. Then, in CC mode it ignores the input and sends its own output.

The other advantage of this method is that you can improve the throttle response in normal mode (like the Blitz throttle controller does).
Thanks for the link, I will have a look on it. Your idea seems quite interesting, maybe I will change my plans a little bit and implement it that way. But I still have a feeling, that switching between DAC and pedal accelerator outputs is a little bit more safer.

Another idea came to my mind how to avoid switching delays with a relay. If I connect the DAC output directly to output line of the relay (to ECM) and accelerator pedal to one input of the relay (the second input remains unused), I can first set the output voltage on DAC and then switch the relay (cut the accelerator pedal line). On a switch back, the accelerator pedal is switched on first and then DAC disabled. This way, there is no voltage drop on signal line to ECM.

The only drawback is, that all time, when DAC is not in use (even just before switching off the accelerator pedal line, when DAC output is set) there is voltage from accelerator pedal to DAC output. I have no idea, if it can harm it in any way and what the impedance between DAC output and ground. If the impedance is too low, it can make a short connection and damage the ECM, that I obviously would like to avoid

And finally, do you have any idea, what size the input impedance of ECM could be?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #205
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I will have a look on it. Your idea seems quite interesting, maybe I will change my plans a little bit and implement it that way. But I still have a feeling, that switching between DAC and pedal accelerator outputs is a little bit more safer.

Another idea came to my mind how to avoid switching delays with a relay. If I connect the DAC output directly to output line of the relay (to ECM) and accelerator pedal to one input of the relay (the second input remains unused), I can first set the output voltage on DAC and then switch the relay (cut the accelerator pedal line). On a switch back, the accelerator pedal is switched on first and then DAC disabled. This way, there is no voltage drop on signal line to ECM.

The only drawback is, that all time, when DAC is not in use (even just before switching off the accelerator pedal line, when DAC output is set) there is voltage from accelerator pedal to DAC output. I have no idea, if it can harm it in any way and what the impedance between DAC output and ground. If the impedance is too low, it can make a short connection and damage the ECM, that I obviously would like to avoid

And finally, do you have any idea, what size the input impedance of ECM could be?
The impedance on the ECM input pins is approximately 2K Ohms.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #206
49erRider

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Couldn't get mine to work and tried searching these posts but has anyone else had an "a ha" moment when theirs didn't work and want to share?
49erRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #207
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erRider View Post
Couldn't get mine to work and tried searching these posts but has anyone else had an "a ha" moment when theirs didn't work and want to share?
The most common one with 06-08's, when using the OEM stalk is not properly seating the ECM pin. The check for that is to measure the voltage on the wire connected to the ECM pin with the ignition switch in the on position (engine not running). It should measure 12 Volts with no buttons pressed on the stalk. If it does not, then the pin is not seated properly or is in the wrong location.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #208
49erRider

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I figured it out! I had 12volts to the ECM pin so that wasn't the problem. When I drive I ride with my foot just resting on the clutch. That was enough to remove pressure from the plunger causing it to not activate.

Works great, another thankful yaris owner Scott!
49erRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #209
hayden

Drives: asd
Hey CTSCott - if you remember I bought a CC stalk from you along with the wiring kit. It worked fine for a month or two and you may remember me posting that it stopped working occasionally and would also sometimes make the car accelerate on it's own.

It eventually stopped working entirely but just now had time to go out with a multimeter to test it. This was done about a foot of wire away from the computer thingy (on the firewall in the engine bay) at one of those snap-close connectors I used. The ignition was on (I know you told me to do it with the ignition off, but hopefully this works too) but the engine off.

Car on but engine off: 12.3v
With the on/off button held: 0.2v
Held down: 6.1v
Held up: 3.4v
Held toward: 8.6v

Any idea why the CC wouldn't be working AT ALL? I have no idea what these values are supposed to be. I'm concerned that maybe the wire thickness I used may be too much, but I have no idea how these things work. I think it was the same type that you used in the wiring kit (had to buy extra from radio shack).

Thanks a ton for your help!
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #210
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
Hey CTSCott - if you remember I bought a CC stalk from you along with the wiring kit. It worked fine for a month or two and you may remember me posting that it stopped working occasionally and would also sometimes make the car accelerate on it's own.

It eventually stopped working entirely but just now had time to go out with a multimeter to test it. This was done about a foot of wire away from the computer thingy (on the firewall in the engine bay) at one of those snap-close connectors I used. The ignition was on (I know you told me to do it with the ignition off, but hopefully this works too) but the engine off.

Car on but engine off: 12.3v
With the on/off button held: 0.2v
Held down: 6.1v
Held up: 3.4v
Held toward: 8.6v

Any idea why the CC wouldn't be working AT ALL? I have no idea what these values are supposed to be. I'm concerned that maybe the wire thickness I used may be too much, but I have no idea how these things work. I think it was the same type that you used in the wiring kit (had to buy extra from radio shack).

Thanks a ton for your help!
Those voltages are fine (and that is correct to measure them with the engine off, but ignition on).

Try wiggling the ECM Pin while measuring to make sure that the connection is not intermittent.

Can you refresh my memory on if you have an AT or MT?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #211
hayden

It's an AT 2007 2 door.

If there was no connection at all to the ECM, would that line still be powered? I'll go reseat the pin and see if that helps because it was definitely intermittent before dying entirely.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #212
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
It's an AT 2007 2 door.

If there was no connection at all to the ECM, would that line still be powered? I'll go reseat the pin and see if that helps because it was definitely intermittent before dying entirely.
That wire would be zero volts if disconnected. But, it could be connected when still and intermittently disconnected when the engine starts shaking it.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #213
hayden

Quote:
That wire would be zero volts if disconnected. But, it could be connected when still and intermittently disconnected when the engine starts shaking it.
Reseated the pin, no luck. I'll try going out there and wiggling it while taking a reading to see if I can make it go to 0. Any other advice if that shows up fine though?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #214
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Reseated the pin, no luck. I'll try going out there and wiggling it while taking a reading to see if I can make it go to 0. Any other advice if that shows up fine though?
If that looks solid, work your way towards the stalk, verifying the connections along the way.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #215
hayden

I'm trying to test the wire right at the stalk, but I think I'm maybe having trouble finding a ground for the negative pokey thing. Do you have suggestions of a ground available near the steering wheel?

I removed all my plastic connectors and just wrapped the ends of wires around each other, put a little solder, and duct taped it. I'm thinking maybe it's the D3 connector but wasn't able to remember how to "unclamp" it.

And it turns out, the extra wire I bought is this thick solid type (think barbed wire with rubber coating) rather than the typical frayed stuff you see in electronics - that doesn't matter does it?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #216
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm trying to test the wire right at the stalk, but I think I'm maybe having trouble finding a ground for the negative pokey thing. Do you have suggestions of a ground available near the steering wheel?

I removed all my plastic connectors and just wrapped the ends of wires around each other, put a little solder, and duct taped it. I'm thinking maybe it's the D3 connector but wasn't able to remember how to "unclamp" it.

And it turns out, the extra wire I bought is this thick solid type (think barbed wire with rubber coating) rather than the typical frayed stuff you see in electronics - that doesn't matter does it?
Any bare metal under the dash will make a good ground.

The only potential issue with solid instead of stranded wire is flexibility. Solid wire can't be flexed too much or it will break.