Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Cars for Sale by private party
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
bigdoglover

Drives: 2007 red lb
FS: 2007 red hb auto

hi guys, can any of you give me an idea of what i can expect to get on a trade in for my 07 yaris? 58,000 miles,auto,a/c,pw,pl,split folding rear seat. cd-new tires last year. it does have scratches on the rear bumper but have records for oil changes, tire rotations. moving and want to buy small suv. i've looked at kbb,edmunds,nada but think they might be high on trade prices. i live in a suburb of chicago if that helps. thanks
bigdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Not sure if they have these in your area but I have always thought a lot of taking a car to carmax to get rid of it. if you are going to trade it in anyway, carmax will give you usually the "good" trade in value of it (as opposed to "excellent") and then you can haggle prices with the new vehicle.

making it one deal gives too much room for them to hide money. either you get a good deal on the car you are buying or a good value on the car you are trading in. very rarely do you get a good deal on both. going to carmax to unload your vehicle splits this transaction and you get a fair price for your car and then you can haggle with the dealer without a trade in being an issue.

there again, just a thought.

also, these little cars hold their value extremely well. I would go with KBB personally.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Unless you are under an extreme time crunch, make the effort to sell privately first. You price it right, and it should be gobbled up quick. That's a very low milage '07 with all the desirable features for the general masses.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
kelly blue book has it worth about 7,200 as a good car. I wouldn't expect ch more than that out of it.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
enjetek
I've made a post!

Drives: Supra, maxima
Car still available?
enjetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
bigdoglover

yep, still looking at new cars. replaced the battery yesterday,got an oil change and recall done
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
bigdoglover

hey guys, any helpful hints on selling privately? what to be careful of, how to accept payment-anything i need to do to protect myself? do i accept cash or want cashiers check? never done this before except in the old days when beaters were $500. have 2 guys interested right now, close to making a deal. any input is greatly appreciated
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Accepting cash is the easiest way. If they want to pay with a check, make sure it is a bank certified check. Even then I would take them to the bank with you when you deposit it. The bank should also have a title notary (if your state requires one) making it a great place to sell a vehicle.

I would also write out a bill of sale describing the purchasing conditions. Car is sold as-is, for this much, on this date. Both sign it.

Do not give them the title or the keys until the money is in your account (or cash in-hand). Many checks can be faked. Western Union or other instant cash services are usually scams.

Be extra cautious if they want to ship the car as there is a greater chance of scams with that, even if they say they will send someone to pick it up. These are usually scams as well.

Good luck.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I buy/sell a car/motorcycle every few years. I always meet the person at a AAA location, that way if I like the rig, I can do a on the spot transfer of title.

CASH only!
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
I buy/sell a car/motorcycle every few years. I always meet the person at a AAA location, that way if I like the rig, I can do a on the spot transfer of title.

CASH only!
Now THATS some great advice!

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the most important thing is to talk to the person. see if they are an honest person or not. But I do agree, cash in hand, then deal the title and other stuff if you've never done this before.