Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
Open Pods . A review.

I had mixed feelings about open pods. Having recently fitting them , but going back to the stock airbox, I want to share my experience. This should apply to most open pods, and even some closed pods.

They sure do sound great. Half throttle under load, the car sounds blubbery below 3K RPM, sort of like a motor boat. Above 3K, wide open, get ready to think you have a V8 in there, at least from the sound of it. Inside the car, it sounds awesome. Wait till you hear it from the outside. I got a friend to do a WOT drive by, the induction roar is just fabulous. Sound aside, the car was more responsive abv 3K rpm. Drive it in 3rd, gun it, it gives an instant shove. . I wont say there is a huge increase up there.

Now the bad. Cars should sound big, only when they go fast. The open pod takes away low end torque, and you can feel it. 1-2K rpm, I felt as if it had 25% less power. WOT at 1K rpm is slower than half throttle at 1K rpm. And then come 2.8K there is a small surge, and 3.7K there is another surge. The power delivery is less smooth, less slurred. Good or bad, u decide. Because of this lower torque at 1k-2k, this is not good for autoboxes, which tend to keep the revs down, especially in the yaris. I had to stir the autobox manually. Well, another thing is, when it rains, Yarises do not have bonnet sealing, hence u get really paranoid if the filter gets wet.

SLapping on the stock box again, i got back the driveability as well as more refinement. I'm happy.
nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
Cool

What the heck is an open pod? Do you mean part of the stock airbox is removed?

Sounds neat...I think.
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
Oh... open pod from where I come from, refers to cone & mushroom style filters. I used the APEX'I power filter.
nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
Alright...thanks for the clarification.
Cheers
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote