Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
YellowJolt

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr LB
Send a message via AIM to YellowJolt
My opinion: The YARIS needs a standard center armrest!

I am absolutely puzzled why my 2009 Yaris (and, apparently, ANY Yaris) does not come with a factory equipped armrest, which is just about standard in every other new vehicle offered these days. Comfort-wise, it makes a huge difference to me since I steer with my right hand and rest my arm on the console lid or armrest, depending on what I'm driving.

I did install the Toyota accessory armrest ($79), and the whole set up is kinda hokey - it uses a huge wire retainer and a single screw to mount it to the existing console. Comfort and convenience are increased since I've put it in, but it doesn't look the best (you can see the wire retainer from the sides and the back seat.) and the fabric is kind of itchy-scratchy. Just venting - still love my new car and it's mileage, but sheesh, comon Toyota...

IMHO,
Scott
YellowJolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
My Yaris had the armrest installed when I bought it and I can honestly say I've never used it. I guess it would come in handy on long road trips, but around town it just gets in the way when I shift so I just don't use it.
mryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
gokartride

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3-Door Liftback
My son's Yaris has one and my Yaris does not. Since I am a passenger in his I came to love it, and was quite sure I'd need to install one in my Yaris when I got it. However, since I am actually the driver in mine, I find I really don't need it at all.....both hands are on the wheel. This surprised me a bit, but hey...it works!!

It obviously comes down to driving habits...if one is used to leaning on an arm rest then something is missing. My son will be doing a lot of highway miles, so I think he will use his alot. I, in my city driving, apparently won't.
gokartride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i've had my liftback for almost 2 years now and yesterday(no kidding!) i remember thinking for the first time 'man, i wish i had an armrest!'. so i guess what i'm trying to say is 'yeah....it could help in the comfort dept., but it took me over 20 months to notice it'. i guess it's just a personal thing and some people might not care one way or the other.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I took mine out! Found it got in the way and it wasn't really that comfortable. That could be because I have long arms and a manual trans and I found it got in the way of shifting if I had it in the down position.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
SailDesign

Drives: .
I am still amazed at how many people do not look at the car they are buying...
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Armrests are something I've never used much, either.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
ECHO didn't get one
xA didn't get one
xB didn't get one
tC didn't get one
Corolla didn't get one...

why should the bottom-of-the-toyota-food-chain get one "standard" ?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Mine came w/ the armrest... I've been thinking about trying to remove the cloth cover and reassemble it w/ more padding as the stock padding is about 1/8" thick and quickly flattens to provide zero support. I'm not very good at sewing, so there's no obvious way that I could remove it w/o destroying it...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Mine came w/ the armrest... I've been thinking about trying to remove the cloth cover and reassemble it w/ more padding as the stock padding is about 1/8" thick and quickly flattens to provide zero support. I'm not very good at sewing, so there's no obvious way that I could remove it w/o destroying it...
maybe time to alter your steering wheel grip style?

to be honest though, my MR2's center console put my right arm to sleep. i quit driving like that, and now on the highway steer with my left thumb/firstfinger with my elbow resting on the top of the door. right hand is free to um..... shift... n stuff....
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
twowheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
maybe time to alter your steering wheel grip style?
Maybe, but I suspect it has more to do w/ the fact that the car is only 6 months old (today!) and already has more than 15k miles on it. I spend a lot of time w/ my arm on that rest.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Maybe, but I suspect it has more to do w/ the fact that the car is only 6 months old (today!) and already has more than 15k miles on it. I spend a lot of time w/ my arm on that rest.
ah, very understandable. on long drives i find my hands at 6 o clock and elbows on thighs.. much more comfortable :D
you nailed it sir.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
twowheels

Quote:
ah, very understandable. on long drives i find my hands at 6 o clock and elbows on thighs.. much more comfortable :D
You must have very different proportions than I do as I can't make my elbows touch my thighs w/o either lifting my leg up high or slouching low!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Mine had it already installed-it's up most of the time when in town as it gets in the way of manual shifting, but when I'm on a long trip I'd miss it dearly. Base Fit is the same way-does not have one. No armrest kept me from buying a 98 Honda CR-V back then.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
It's standard in the sedan, of course.

There's some reason that automakers often leave them out of hatchbacks. I'm not totally sure why. Maybe it get's in the way of a load in the back?

It's not just the Yaris, many hatches don't have them. Even the Acura RSX didn't have one and it's a luxury marque.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
ECHO didn't get one
xA didn't get one
xB didn't get one
tC didn't get one
Corolla didn't get one...

why should the bottom-of-the-toyota-food-chain get one "standard" ?
all corolla's come with a permanent arm rest (meaning a properly positioned armrest as part of the center cosole with storage inside). at least the current gen and previous gen did.

toyota wanted to make sure the yaris had the cheapest looking interior possible, and they succeeded brilliantly. why mess that up with a funtional armrest. (the factory armrest for the yaris is a joke. absolutely useless and in the way for anyone w/ the 5 speed).
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #17
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
mine came with .. i use it 100% of the time
Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
The cover pulls right off. just lift up a little on the upper rear and it slides right off. When I reupholstered my doors, I was pulled mine off to replace the cover with leather, but the scrap I had left was about 2" shy of being enough.

I actually never use mine, as being a short dude, my seat is so far up that my elbow can't reach it. I just figured I'd change the fabric to leather to match the rest of my interior.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote