Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
soros151
Another question... :D

Drives: Scion tC 06
Enough Space?

Noob on Yaris here, but thinking of a project. Is it possible to insert a 2ZZ-GE (Matrix XRS, Celica GT-S) engine? Is there enough space to work. I know a custom driveshaft will be needed and fabrication of the intake manifold and header will be neccesary. But is there enough room to make this adjustments?

NOTE: Please do not make this into a bash thread, I am only interested in knowing if there is enough space for fabrication. Please keep comments about how this will be a waste of time and money to yourselfs. Only want opinions on this engine swap. Thanks.
soros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:57 AM   #2
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
I believe it has already been done...
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
ya it should fit, if you take off the cowl (it just bolts in) there is a ton of room, i had to take it off to put my springs on and its a bunch of space.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
well coming from dealing with engine swaps in hondas, anything is possible with time and money... i think space wise it would fit, but getting everything else to work out is going to be a pain... in other words, swaping out engine harnesses/getting gauges to work/drive shaft and tranny/tranny linkage/suspension...etc... but good luck to you if you go for it

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:09 AM   #5
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Do the new 2ZZ's come with direct fuel injection or still running injectors? I know they offer drive-by wire and by cable depending on model/year... which would be easier to run in this case?
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Fuk it, toss in a small block, and make it RWD.. that would be one mean Liftback, lol.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
Fuk it, toss in a small block, and make it RWD.. that would be one mean Liftback, lol.
yeah, they do it with the ford focus, heck they sell a kit to do it...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
but no matter how you slice it...that is still a ford...shakes head....now you throw a Nissan powerplant in it and then you have a cool ride (referencing FF3)

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #9
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by soros151
Noob on Yaris here, but thinking of a project. Is it possible to insert a 2ZZ-GE (Matrix XRS, Celica GT-S) engine? Is there enough space to work. I know a custom driveshaft will be needed and fabrication of the intake manifold and header will be neccesary. But is there enough room to make this adjustments?

NOTE: Please do not make this into a bash thread, I am only interested in knowing if there is enough space for fabrication. Please keep comments about how this will be a waste of time and money to yourselfs. Only want opinions on this engine swap. Thanks.
why stop there? why not a 3.3L V6 ES330/camry/Solara Transmission setup? has been done on a few MR2s..same Transverse layout..
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
why stop there? why not a 3.3L V6 ES330/camry/Solara Transmission setup? has been done on a few MR2s..same Transverse layout..
yeah... use a sienna setup... similar engine bay shapes.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #11
soros151

I was thinking also about one of the 4A-GE, but it seems smog laws won't accept it. At least that's what I think, being the Yaris and ULEV II. Think I can get the permits on this?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:28 AM   #12
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

I would think one of the later 20v 4As would be nearly as not as clean as the 1nzfe in real life... but try telling that to the authorities. It will be illegal most likely, plus it'd be an older motor in a newer car... very taboo...
Old 07-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
soros151

I know, but it seems a later model of a 2ZZ-GE will be alright somehow. Does someone know somebody who have done this swap?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #14
wlfpck

Drives: 91 cb7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
i don't believe the v6 would fit... and if it did its gonna cost a lot more for fabrication than it would for a inline 4.

second. Since the engine sits in front. and the car is only 2200+ lbs, adding a v6 engine is gonna seriously mess with the suspension setup.

i mean dropping the h22 into the crx made the guy have to use a stiffer setup in the front.
wlfpck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #15
Mr.Black

Drives: Tercel
The 2ZZ-GE uses the C60 transmision where as the Yaris uses the c56 same as the Corolla or so I have heard, so the shafts from the Yaris will work and if they don't bolt in the axles from a Corolla XRS should work ok or you could use the inner joint on the Yaris shaft with the Yaris outer cv joint. The thing is that the 2ZZ-GE uses 4 engine mounts instead of the 3 in the Yaris but that wouldn't be that hard to remedy. The 2ZZ-GE isn't much bigger than the 1nz-fe maybe 2 inches max I belive and only 60 ish lbs heavier so no adverse handling from a heavy engine. If you have any other questions I can help try and find the answers.
Mr.Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
soros151

A list of parts beside the engine that I might need for the swap. Example, another fuel pump. If u can, then that would be great.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #17
Mr.Black

Drives: Tercel
Well you would need the wire harness and ecu then you would have to make a custom harness for the body and some stuff will no doubt need to be changed on the engine harness. Custom front engine mount, the axles that may or may not work you will have to find out when you get the engine and tranny. The fuel pump may need to be replaced but you could rig up a Celica GT-S or a Corolla XRS one maybe even anther Toyota high flow fuel pump. The Yaris has electric power stearing so you may be able to keep it if noy you would either have to not have power stearing or try to use the 2ZZ-GE assembly. Perhaps you could get a battery relocation kit and free up some space in the engine bay, while your at it get a cold air intake and a good exaust system and you will destroy alot of stuff. On a side note there is a bolt on turbo kit for the 2ZZ-GE that makes over 300 hp. If anything els comes to mind I will add it.
Mr.Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #18
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck
i don't believe the v6 would fit... and if it did its gonna cost a lot more for fabrication than it would for a inline 4.

second. Since the engine sits in front. and the car is only 2200+ lbs, adding a v6 engine is gonna seriously mess with the suspension setup.

i mean dropping the h22 into the crx made the guy have to use a stiffer setup in the front.
well, there was a BIT of sarcasm in that statement. but, when you bring up the H22 / civic argument i walk out the door... just like a V8 LS1 engine /6 speed transmission is WAY HEAVIER than a Mazda TwinTurbo Rx7 rotary/5speed

i thought people stopped believing the H22 myth back in the 20th century. it's only 37 lbs difference and is relatively in the same "position" over the axle. the h22 is just a PITA to work with since you must "custom fabricate" the shifter box (and by custom fabricate, i mean cut up your floorboard ). Plus the H22 doesn't see much gains from mods like the Bseries engines which are direct swaps for the Civic chassis (92-95 anyway, 96-00 with EM1 motor mounts).

I think the 2ZZGE would be the best candidate, especially since it was very "swappable" with the 1ZZ corollas and MR2 spyders. I gotta do some research and look for other 1NZFE cars with engine swaps, since (in theory) they should be the same work for the yaris platform.
but, Toyota VVTi engines are notoriously difficult to Air/Fuel tune..whereas a K20A (JDM Honda Integra Type R..known as RSX-R not released in US) would be very easy to get into the 270 whp range. custom mounts are custom mounts...if a 2ZZGE isn't direct swappable then you might as well go big or go home.