Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Noise from the drums....

I have noticed that in the last 2 months or so, every time I drive my car for a few minutes, I apply the brakes at any speed, and as soon as I let go of the brakes, I hear a wierd noise.

The noise is almost like what you would hear from a bus or truck letting go of the air brakes, and the air sqeeking out. Except that its not that loud obvoiusly, but is high pitches and everyone can hear it inside and around the car.

Tonight, among other problems, I tested this while in gear, and not, and the problem is there.

I then decided to make sure its just the drums, so I put the ebrake and engaged it, and let it down, and the noise happened!

I proceeded to engage and disengage the ebrake over and over, even faster, and the same exact noise was there and got louder!!

What in the world is going on back there with the drums? I took th car to toyota to do the inspection and asked them to check this, and the guy who serviced it said he didnt notice it. And he left. I proceeded to get into my car, and what do you know, the noise was there! These guys are assholes at the dealership I bought my car from I tell you. I didnt have time so I left.

If someone can help explain this and help me get this wierd/loud/annoying sound go away I would so much appreciate it. Thank you.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Once the shoes are worn and it gets to metal on metal, it makes a grinding/whirring noise, and sometimes high pitch squeaks - have you ever changed the rear shoes? How many miles do you have? It could also be a small rock that got into the drums.

There's not any air associated with the brakes, just fluid and metal. There would never be enough air in the lines to hear it escaping, and you would notice a loss of brake power long before that.

If you can take off a tire, you can take off your drums. Pop them off and check for debris and the condition of the shoes. There is also a DIY on adjusting the rear brakes:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12333
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Your car is a 06. I would bet money you have not had the rear drums cleaned and adjusted. You will be amazed at how much freaking dust is going to be trapped in there. 3 years worth of dust. You should be cleaning it out every time the tires are rotated.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Lafiro

I will do this as soon as possible, just have to find the lug nut key to remove my rims first :(

But yeah, its wierd, the noise happens every time I left go of the brakes, no matter how little its applied. And using the ebrake just reproduces the noise. Ugh, I will try and do the DIY, and maybe get an audio clip! Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Lafiro

Ok, I did the DIY, and I think its over adjusted by a lot now. The front will not lock anymore because the beack are receiving so much brake pressure now. The brake pedal is much MUCH firmer, and the ebrake will only click up once and the car will stop, its also VERY firm after the first inch.

Should I undo the star wheel a bit, or let it run its course? They will need to be changed by this middle of the summer anyway. They seem to be 40% used, and a bit of cracking is showing.

And yes, the amount of dust inside was incredible, but the can od compressed air did its job well.

Now the noise it gone from using the ebrake, and pressing on the brakes. I guess that was the noise of the line sqeaking against itself in the tube going to the drums? Now that the line is bearly moving to apply the brakes the noise is gone, for now.

Edit: as per a mechanic now, if anyone in the future gets the wierd noise from the drums(brakes lines going to the drums), its time to change the brake shoes!, and condiering I checked mine, he is 100% correct.
I do realize that when I apply the brakes, the drums make a metal on metal sound like something expanding with a LOT of pressure, even with little pressure on the brake pedal... but I guess that was from over adjusting it.

Strange thing is that with the wheel off, the bug moved about less then a full spin. This went for both hubs.

With wheels on, they spinned a few times which made me think they needed to be adjusted more, but Im wrong.
...Making the DIY inaccurate!

If you need to know, I turned the star wheel about 10-14clicks for each side because they were so loose all the way until 10clicks.

So yes, they have not been adjusted for a wheel, maybe since the middle of last year, and yes I abuse the brakes, so make they wore out very fast thats all.

Last edited by Lafiro; 05-13-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 05-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
Ok, I did the DIY, and I think its over adjusted by a lot now. The front will not lock anymore because the beack are receiving so much brake pressure now. The brake pedal is much MUCH firmer, and the ebrake will only click up once and the car will stop, its also VERY firm after the first inch.

Should I undo the star wheel a bit, or let it run its course? They will need to be changed by this middle of the summer anyway. They seem to be 40% used, and a bit of cracking is showing.

And yes, the amount of dust inside was incredible, but the can od compressed air did its job well.

Now the noise it gone from using the ebrake, and pressing on the brakes. I guess that was the noise of the line sqeaking against itself in the tube going to the drums? Now that the line is bearly moving to apply the brakes the noise is gone, for now.

Edit: as per a mechanic now, if anyone in the future gets the wierd noise from the drums(brakes lines going to the drums), its time to change the brake shoes!, and condiering I checked mine, he is 100% correct.
I do realize that when I apply the brakes, the drums make a metal on metal sound like something expanding with a LOT of pressure, even with little pressure on the brake pedal... but I guess that was from over adjusting it.

Strange thing is that with the wheel off, the bug moved about less then a full spin. This went for both hubs.

With wheels on, they spinned a few times which made me think they needed to be adjusted more, but Im wrong.
...Making the DIY inaccurate!

If you need to know, I turned the star wheel about 10-14clicks for each side because they were so loose all the way until 10clicks.

So yes, they have not been adjusted for a wheel, maybe since the middle of last year, and yes I abuse the brakes, so make they wore out very fast thats all.
It's supposed to be 6-9 clicks @ the e-brake (factory spec). Yes, you over-adjusted them a bit. Unless they're readjusted you'll be creating lots of extra friction and heat on your shoes and drums. Might not be the best recipe for a healthy drum, if you're thinking about reusing them when you replace your shoes this summer.

Mine make noise, but I can guarantee you that they're a long ways away from needing to be replaced. I hear mine first thing in the mornings, until I use them a time or two to knock the little bit of rust off of the drums that built up over night; I live in an area with high humidity.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
Lafiro

I don't know about 6-9 clicks? I never pass 5 clicks before this adjustment. And even then they would not hold correctly parked on a hill.

The DIY said it should rotate once, and this is without the wheel on that it rotated once or more with me spinning it. With the wheels in, it spined around a few times.

So I cant say its really over adjusted that much?????
But thanks either way.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
1stToyota

Quote:
I don't know about 6-9 clicks? I never pass 5 clicks before this adjustment. And even then they would not hold correctly parked on a hill.

The DIY said it should rotate once, and this is without the wheel on that it rotated once or more with me spinning it. With the wheels in, it spined around a few times.

So I cant say its really over adjusted that much?????
But thanks either way.
You said 1 click at the e-brake? Not enough. And you can't always go by hill holding ability. Not accurate with glazed drums/shoes, worn drums and shoes that aren't making full contact, etc...

5-6 clicks at my e-brake, 6-9 clicks is only the Toyota factory spec.

btw Our rear shoes, as in all modern rear shoes are self adjusting, unless the adjuster is rusted up, or gunked up with a grease and brake dust mixture. It's designed to work with a little bit of travel, not brakes being slightly applied all the time, and that's pretty much what you'll have with the 1 click approach.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Lafiro

Thats true. But I don't feel the car drag, and I only followed the DIY, so yell at the person who wrote it/those who followed it, not just me! lol

Other then that, the car stops and performs awesome now.

I will be sure not to adjust it that much when I change the drum shoes within the next few weeks.

I did test the car after only adjusting 1 side, and it took 3-4clicks, and it stopped ok, but after I did the other side, it became 1 click to stop the car, and very smooth stopping.... Actually, I have to let go of the brakes at the end else it stops a bit rough/too fast at the very end I guess cause the drums are catching way too much.

But whatever. I don't care only because those shoes have to go soon anyway.

And as for self adjusting, I have always heard that these drums never really self adjust because they always get way too loose. And thats why they always have to be adjusted every time the wheels are rotated. Or atleast when you go to the dealership and pay them $$$ to do services every 5000 miles.

I rather do this myself, and for that matter, I will never again buy a car with drums. Waste of my time to adjust these things.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #10
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
I will never again buy a car with drums. Waste of my time to adjust these things.
I said the same thing with my last car, but the yaris doesn't come with disc brakes in the rear. Someday, I'll be picking up the conversion kit from garm.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
1stToyota

Quote:
Thats true. But I don't feel the car drag, and I only followed the DIY, so yell at the person who wrote it/those who followed it, not just me! lol

Other then that, the car stops and performs awesome now.

I will be sure not to adjust it that much when I change the drum shoes within the next few weeks.

I did test the car after only adjusting 1 side, and it took 3-4clicks, and it stopped ok, but after I did the other side, it became 1 click to stop the car, and very smooth stopping.... Actually, I have to let go of the brakes at the end else it stops a bit rough/too fast at the very end I guess cause the drums are catching way too much.

But whatever. I don't care only because those shoes have to go soon anyway.

And as for self adjusting, I have always heard that these drums never really self adjust because they always get way too loose. And thats why they always have to be adjusted every time the wheels are rotated. Or atleast when you go to the dealership and pay them $$$ to do services every 5000 miles.

I rather do this myself, and for that matter, I will never again buy a car with drums. Waste of my time to adjust these things.
Yeah, Toyota never did get the hang of self-adjusting brakes; Ford and Chevy kept that secret to themselves. Not *yelling* at you, just letting you know that 1-click @ the e-brake might feel awesome, of course, because you've reduced normal brake travel between shoe lining and drum's friction surface to nothing...great on brake feel but bad on brake life. If the DIY says 1-click at the e-brake, which I doubt, it's not as correct as the OEM guide lines.

I like drums...never adjust mine, because they're self-adjusting, still 5-6 clicks after 14 months/16k miles, does nice double-duties (e-brake/normal braking), and a lot cheaper to replace all hardware, linings and hyd cyls during service, compared to rear calipers, pads...possible rear parking brake shoes, which are usually much smaller than regular brake drum shoes...

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
Lafiro

Alright cool.

Hmm, well, the DIY did not say 1-click, that was just the outcome of me following it!
I did not know it would become to tight, I just followed it saying the wheel should spin around once before stopping because of the slight brake pressure. And the wheels spins a little more then 1 revolution. SO I thought it was fine.

As of right now its fine, no overheating, I can still place my hand on the drum for a second or two after a good drive. And yes the brakes feel awesome now lol.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
1stToyota

Quote:
Alright cool.

Hmm, well, the DIY did not say 1-click, that was just the outcome of me following it!
I did not know it would become to tight, I just followed it saying the wheel should spin around once before stopping because of the slight brake pressure. And the wheels spins a little more then 1 revolution. SO I thought it was fine.

As of right now its fine, no overheating, I can still place my hand on the drum for a second or two after a good drive. And yes the brakes feel awesome now lol.
At least you're getting a little practice for the real brake job you've got planned this summer. Good luck, and if you need any help I'll try to tone it down a bit next time.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
Lafiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
At least you're getting a little practice for the real brake job you've got planned this summer. Good luck, and if you need any help I'll try to tone it down a bit next time.
Cool, and thank you for all your input!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
Lafiro

So yesterday I tested out braking with maybe a half gallon of gas in the car left.

The back tires felt as if they were locking up more then the front!

I then went around the block and said to myself let me see if I can lock them up using the ebrake at like 15MPH..... BAD MOVE!!!!

They did not lock up, and now it feels a little more loose, both ebrake and regular braking.
On top of that, maybe I only tested this again after I filled up the tank, but it feels like the front is stopping the car more so then the back now. Unlike before where it felt really nice lol.

Did I stretch something out and damage it? DAMN IT!

With the full tank of gas, its really hard to get the wheels to lock up/cause ABS to kick in right now since I tried twice.... but both times I noticed only the front would kick in, not the back, so it makes me wonder if I did screw something up...

But I highly doubt a full tank of gas would cause the front to bite more then the back, and still cause that sinking feeling in the front only.

So now I must know what I damaged and how to fix it.....
Old 05-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #16
1stToyota

Quote:
So yesterday I tested out braking with maybe a half gallon of gas in the car left.

The back tires felt as if they were locking up more then the front!

I then went around the block and said to myself let me see if I can lock them up using the ebrake at like 15MPH..... BAD MOVE!!!!

They did not lock up, and now it feels a little more loose, both ebrake and regular braking.
On top of that, maybe I only tested this again after I filled up the tank, but it feels like the front is stopping the car more so then the back now. Unlike before where it felt really nice lol.

Did I stretch something out and damage it? DAMN IT!

With the full tank of gas, its really hard to get the wheels to lock up/cause ABS to kick in right now since I tried twice.... but both times I noticed only the front would kick in, not the back, so it makes me wonder if I did screw something up...

But I highly doubt a full tank of gas would cause the front to bite more then the back, and still cause that sinking feeling in the front only.

So now I must know what I damaged and how to fix it.....
Easy fix; quit trying to lock the blamed brakes up.

Panic stops just for the fun of it aren't good for the drums, shoes, rotors, pads, fluid, and so on...

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
Lafiro

OK, I learned not to ever do that again.

Should I check stuff or just let the car be? I mean the drums are still working, as they are hot after a long drive.... just as the rotots in the front(those get hotter actually)
Old 05-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #18
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Your car is a 06. I would bet money you have not had the rear drums cleaned and adjusted. You will be amazed at how much freaking dust is going to be trapped in there. 3 years worth of dust. You should be cleaning it out every time the tires are rotated.
Help.. i cleaned, and adjusted my drums/shoes about a month ago. It didn't squeak for about a week or 2. Now it started again.?!?!
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote