Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Floyd
Floyd

Drives: own new 2007 Yaris
18" alloy wheel option?

I presently have a Prius and I plan to get a 2007 S sedan Yaris. I was checking the options in the brochure and noticed that you can order the 18" alloy rims and tires. I'm not sure this is a option from Toyota or one from a third party. I don't have the brochure with me as my daughter has taken it to school with her today. 1st question-How much extra is this option? 2nd- eventually, when these tires wear out, how expensive are the the 18" tires compared to the 15"? 3rd- Where can I view a photo of a Yaris S sedan with the 18" alloy rims and tires? I'm sure they will look good but by the time I get through adding all the extras that we want, I could buy another Prius or Corolla (just kidding). I also read somewhere that the Corolla actually gets better gas mileage (41mpg) than the Yaris (with auto tran. at 39mpg)? Thanks
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
DonnyRebel
1st Time Toyota Owner

Drives: 2007 Meteorite Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd
I was checking the options in the brochure and noticed that you can order the 18" alloy rims and tires. I'm not sure this is a option from Toyota or one from a third party. I don't have the brochure with me as my daughter has taken it to school with her today. 1st question-How much extra is this option?.........Thanks
It's a TRD thing. My dealer quoted $1900 for the 18" upgrade. Unless you're into some serious roadwork, this wheel/tire setup is not for you....that is unless your wallet is overfilled. Expect a maximum of 30k miles out of the tires and a rough riding 30000 miles at that. I opted for the 15" Toyota alloys using the stock 185/60/15 tires and although it doesn't have that racecar look, it provides excellent around town driveability and only cost me $600.
Good luck whatever you do........

"Clown Car" - 07 3dr Yaris
"Redneck Roadster" - 04 Chevy SSR
"Wife's Ride" - 03 Honda Accord EX
DonnyRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
DonnyRebel
1st Time Toyota Owner

Where on the Gulf Coast are you from?

I was living in Gautier when Katrina hit. Got out in time with no problems, but just wonderin' how you came out......

Old 09-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
If you care about mpg, you shouldn't go with 18" since it adding up your unsprung weight and costing you more gas to move the heavy 18" wheel.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
Floyd
Floyd

Drives: own new 2007 Yaris
I live in Grand Bay, AL

DonnyRebel: I live in Grand Bay, AL about 2 blocks south of Hy 90. Luckily, I had little damage to my home. We rode out the storm at a church in Tillmans Corner. I had my Toyota Prius parked next to the church and while looking out the back door during the storm, I saw a gust of wind (or tornado) pick up the back of the car and set it down. Also, some roofing shingles came from across the street and put some deep scratches on my headlight and front bumper.
A lot of my friends in Pascagoula and Gautier had a lot of damage. Another friend of mine in St. Martin (back bay Biloxi) had 32ft of water where his house was. When he and his wife got home from the storm, he couldn't find one piece of wood that would identify his house.
I would like to move To Birmingham but the kids are in high school and college. I guess you're a bonified yankee by now and missing all the good ole storms.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
DonnyRebel
1st Time Toyota Owner

I know right where Grand Bay is......

I was down there building the new school there at I-10 and MacDonald Rd. Glad to hear you came out of it OK. I love the Mobile-Biloxi area and when things get back to normal I'll be back. See you then......

Old 10-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Darla

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Manual (of course)
re: 18" tires / rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd
I presently have a Prius and I plan to get a 2007 S sedan Yaris. I was checking the options in the brochure and noticed that you can order the 18" alloy rims and tires. I'm not sure this is a option from Toyota or one from a third party. I don't have the brochure with me as my daughter has taken it to school with her today. 1st question-How much extra is this option? 2nd- eventually, when these tires wear out, how expensive are the the 18" tires compared to the 15"? 3rd- Where can I view a photo of a Yaris S sedan with the 18" alloy rims and tires? I'm sure they will look good but by the time I get through adding all the extras that we want, I could buy another Prius or Corolla (just kidding). I also read somewhere that the Corolla actually gets better gas mileage (41mpg) than the Yaris (with auto tran. at 39mpg)? Thanks
I've got the 18" rims & tires on my Liftback. Not only do they look great, but they really help my little bug of a car hug the road. My dad has an older echo and my biggest complaint about it is that it feels like it could blow away in windy weather, or when crossing a bridge. With such light-weight cars, it's much better to have the larger tires. The rims are aluminum which keeps the weight essentially the same as the smaller tires = same mpg.
As for the advertised mpg--that all depends on how you drive. I've got manual transmission, but I like to zip around so I know I'll never get the optimum mpg. Just not ready to drive like an old lady!
Darla
Darla is offline   Reply With Quote