Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
Oil change interval ??

I recently moved. I was living 4 miles from work and now I am 2 miles from work. That is 80 miles a month for work plus what I drive on my days off which isn't much. Let's estimate 100 miles a month (1200 miles a year) how often should I change my oil? I was thinking once a year.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
In your owners manual. 6 months or 3000 miles (dino) or 5000 miles (synthetic)

so in your case you would fall under every six months.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
I agree with Alex, do it every 6 months.

On a side note - Cars weren't made to drive 2 mile trips exclusively. Your oil probably never reaches proper running temperature, meaning every mile you put on your car is gonna be high wear on the engine. Gas is going to sit in your tanks for 3 months minimum. Your battery and alternator will probably go faster than on a normally driven car. I'd guess you are in the 99th percentile for dollars/mile spent on tires, oil, and insurance for yaris owners. If I was in your situation, I would sell the car and get a bike.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
If I was in your situation, I would sell the car and get a bike.
And in other news, weather.com shows 43F and light rain in Waldoboro, ME right now, with heavy rain forecast for tomorrow. Last month, the temperature dipped to -1F. Then again, it's only for a few miles every day...

Anyway, this may be one of those situations where spending the 0.03 gallons involved in warming the car up once a day might make sense from an overall perspective. Or running it for a little longer once the destination has been reached. The oil, and exhaust system, etc, really do like to reach normal operating temperature on a regular basis. This kind of operation eats mufflers right up. Water sits in it continuously, rather than evaporating out, and it quickly corrodes out from the inside.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I only average ~5k miles per year. I change my oil every 4 months. Sbergman is quite right about what this does to mufflers! Although I had my ECHO for 8 years/50k miles and the muffler was stilll good when I sold it. Fuel injection is far kinder to engines than carburation was. The rich mixture of a carbed engine at idle/low speeds makes the oil stink like gasoline. Which cant be good!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
I don't think I will be riding a bike to work anytime soon. Most of my drive is on a busy 4 lane road that I wouldn't feel comfortable riding a bike on. As for letting the car warm up I park in a garage now. I guess I could go out to the garage and open the door then start the car and let it warm up. Or like you suggested keep it running awhile after I get to work.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
You could get a turbo timer to let the engine get to operating temps and not have to worry about someone jackin your ride . For example , you could start your car (whenever) , set your turbo timer for 10 minutes , turn your car off(pull key out ) and go about your business . The engine will shut off after the 10 minutes .

here are some examples

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...timer&x=17&y=9
Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Dont run you car and waste fuel! Get a Motorbike for your commute. + I am sure you will drive to other places besides work.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Dont run you car and waste fuel! Get a Motorbike for your commute. + I am sure you will drive to other places besides work.
Oh, please. Rather than use 3 gallons of gasoline a month, you think he should put his life at risk. (Do I need to pull up the actuarial data on this topic?) The most efficient scooters generally don't manage 100 mpg in real life. So you are, in reality, asking him to brave the elements and risk his life to save 2 gallons of gasoline per month. Which happens to be about the average that an SUV driver uses in a day. Go to an SUV owner board and show someone... just one person... how to shave 3% off their own fuel consumption and you'd be doing more good than telling this guy to get a motorbike.

Perspective, please?

-Steve

Last edited by sbergman27; 03-29-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
TheSilkySmooth

The argument is what to do about this drivers OCI not some strawman arguement about his/her neighbors Ford EXCURSION and how they text in the idle vehicle at the mall while Mom is shopping, with the windows up and the twin AC running. Its 2 miles. Carpool, Electric Scooter, bum a ride with an ax murderer, or, maybe ... Walk. People in my office walk 2 miles to nowhere at lunch for exercise. What a concept! BTW I was talking to the extra idling time idea, which wont raise the sump to any effective boil off temp. OP is stuck with 3mo OCI. Short drives are the oil killer and acid builder of all time. If only for commuting the OP could use 0w-20 oil and run 1/2 qt low to raise the sump temp and keep the viscosity a bit lower than honey gooo.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 03-29-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Wow, there's a lot of chatter here for a simple "how often should I change my oil" question.

Use synthetic oil. Change it every spring. Enjoy.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Wow, there's a lot of chatter here for a simple "how often should I change my oil" question.
We took a detour rearranging the OP's life for him.

Quote:
Use synthetic oil. Change it every spring. Enjoy.
I'd guess that his 2010 model is still under warranty. 6 months would be the maximum interval I'd recommend.

I've not seen any separate "severe service" recommendation from Toyota, beyond the standard 5000 mile/6 month specification. So 6 months should be fine.

-Steve
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
I do 6k on Mobil one syn no issues.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Yeah, if you're worried about warranty, gotta do what the manual states.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
And in other news, weather.com shows 43F and light rain in Waldoboro, ME right now, with heavy rain forecast for tomorrow. Last month, the temperature dipped to -1F. Then again, it's only for a few miles every day...

Anyway, this may be one of those situations where spending the 0.03 gallons involved in warming the car up once a day might make sense from an overall perspective. Or running it for a little longer once the destination has been reached. The oil, and exhaust system, etc, really do like to reach normal operating temperature on a regular basis. This kind of operation eats mufflers right up. Water sits in it continuously, rather than evaporating out, and it quickly corrodes out from the inside.

-Steve

thats my weather, lol, not the OP's. my commute is a 25 miles one way
Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #16
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
what about AMSOil that claims to have up to 25,000km before changing oil.
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post
I do 6k on Mobil one syn no issues.
Marketers got to you? its not magic oil. Mobil One 5w-30 is semi-syn and shows much higher wear than valvoline or pennzoil or Edge. Ive sen UOA where the Mobil Clean 7500 does better than the M1.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
thats my weather, lol, not the OP's. my commute is a 25 miles one way
Hmmm... then you should probably stay indoors today. ;-)

-Steve