Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
cabinfevrr

Drives: 2008 yaris 5door RS
Motormount causing front end clunk?

Hello, I searched but couldn't find a suitable thread to hijack. If this has been discussed at length, please forgive me and point me where I should look.

I had a front end clunk, so I started looking in to what could be the culprit. It was obvious that the struts were shot, and one coil spring had a crack in it. New struts, coils, and Moog swaybar links. While. I had it apart, I also did the hub bearings, and new hubs while I had the press out. Balljoints and tierods are fine. The knock persists, despite changing parts that were shot anyway. (damhik). So long to short, I was under it today looking at the control arm bolts - no rust, so I coated them with anti-seize and torqued them back on. The rest of the control arm bushings and swaybar bushings seem okay; tights, not cracked, and no play.

2008 5 door hb RS, 143,000kms, original owner. Only other front end parts replaced was drive axles last year, and boots are intact and no noise or play from them.

I'm wondering about the motor mount that is near the rack and pinion. It seems to have a lot of play, and when rocking the car back and forth with just a hand on the tire while trans in park, there is a clunk.

So, please tell me if you think I'm on the right track, and as a guy with the tools but no place to work on it other than a gravel driveway with ramps and Jack stands, would you repair it yourself or let a shop do it?

[IMG][/IMG]
cabinfevrr is offline   Reply With Quote