Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
clynam

Drives: yaris
battery size problem 2007 yaris

Hi all,

I went to replace my battery for my 2007 yaris sedan. I tried a group 35 eliminator from crappy tire.

The eliminator is about 1/8" taller then the original battery. The extra height prevents the crossbar from closing on top. There is a bracket at the back of the battery which surprisingly is not adjustable.

So I returned the eliminator and I will look for another brand that fits.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? What batteries have people successfully fit into their yaris's?
clynam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There are quite a few threads on here about this if you do some searching, but I personally recommend the Napa Legend 7535, which is a perfect fit and a great battery.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynam View Post
Hi all,

I went to replace my battery for my 2007 yaris sedan. I tried a group 35 eliminator from crappy tire.

The eliminator is about 1/8" taller then the original battery. The extra height prevents the crossbar from closing on top. There is a bracket at the back of the battery which surprisingly is not adjustable.

So I returned the eliminator and I will look for another brand that fits.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? What batteries have people successfully fit into their yaris's?
I was in the middle of typing a reply, the page refreshed on its own and my unfinished reply was gone . Part of my reply = CT Scott recommends the Napa Legend.....and it definitely fits...but the man himself replied in the interim ^^^^^ . I had the same problem you are having. Twice. Both times at Wal-Mart. Both times with a group 35. Both times the crossbar wouldn't close. The first time, Wal-Mart wouldn't try to put in anything but a group 35. The rep said they are only allowed to put in what their 'book' says is correct, and that the book only lists the group 35 . I went to Sears instead. They ended up putting in a 26R instead (cheaper, but not as good). Exactly 3 years later, I went to Wal-Mart again (Sears had raised their price, and Wal-Mart had not)......but a different location ....and they tried to install a group 35. Same issue again with the bar, but this Wal-Mart wasn't picky re 'following the book', so they installed a Wal-Mart 26R for me. That was 15 months ago. The 26R = 1 year Free replacement. I checked a month or so ago....Wal-mart raised their prices and no longer have any 1 year guarantee batteries. I want a battery that has a longer reserve than my current 26R (and is excellent quality wise)...so, sometime within the next few months, I'm going to get the Napa Legend that CTScott recommends in the post above.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
I had the same problem and was late for work so I kept the battery and when I had time I modified (bent) one end of the crossbar and made it fit. No issues since.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
clynam

Drives: yaris
Perfect. I'll go pick up a Napa. Thanks!
clynam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Toyota batteries in the SE are merely Interstates. I had the selling dealer put one in before I would go away. Original battery CCA test was 275. On the 1.5, it should be at least 350 CCA. The replacement Toyota put in was 525, even though their catalogue called for a 550 CCA. My favorite is an expensive battery, the Sears Platinum. It is around 200 bucks on sale, but has a reserve capacity and a 7 year warranty with 4 year free replacement. A cheaper alternative is the die hard gold battery, at around 100 bucks. Napa has good batteries as well. Expect 4 - 7 years from any decent battery. On fitment, no clue, measure before going into store, the old battery first.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKellyfan View Post
Expect 4 - 7 years from any decent battery
Yes, in Canada.......In SE Texas, YMMV .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
honestabe
The Battery Guru

Drives: 08 2-door hatchback 5-speed
Hey all, I actually sell batteries for a living here in Washington. If you want a really good battery with a killer warranty I'd go with the Exide Edge group-35. I will do some measurements tomorrow but all group 35's should technically be the same dimensions since their sizing is regulated by BCI (Battery Council International). DEKA (aka East Penn) also makes a really good maintenance free group-35. Both batteries will perform much better than the Yaris calls for. The Exide Edge's come at a premium of around $185, but are an AGM battery and come with a 4-year free replacement warranty (5 years plus an extra 2 years pro-ration if you get the extended warranty my company offers). If anyone has any battery questions please feel free to ask, all I sell is batteries so I know them very well.

Adam
honestabe is offline   Reply With Quote