Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
plugs and injectors

I went to change the spark plugs on my hatchback and I cant get the socket on the first one.
The others are ok. I cant see way down in there because of the plastic tray...
How can I get the plug out????Never had that happen before.....
Also I have been having fuel trouble,low power intermittent, comes and goes, and I tore down the fuel system. I pulled the injectors and they look ok ..the screens look ok but no one around can test them for me... so I guess I will just replace the O rings and re install them.
Any suggestions on cleaning them before I put the back in????
another important thing.....I noticed that the fule line is metal for the first 16 inches or so...it turns and goes thru a hole in the metal casting that is part of the head. The only way to get the rail out to clean it is to pull it apart when it turns into rubber...it seems to do that in a strange looking white plastic bracket that has a little hinge door that opens in the back..
What is that for???? I was thinking of cutting the line and just bypassing that bracket and
running some extra rubber hose... is that ok??? It would make it easier to install and I dont know if that white plastic thing is needed????
any help appreciated...
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
With the plastic engine cover off completely you should have clear view of and access to all four of the spark plug tubes.

For the fuel rail, if you release the connection where the flexible line is you can access the injectors without having to remove the valve cover. The plastic piece where the metal and flexible lines meet is just a cover. lift off the box shaped area to release it. Once it is off there are two blue buttons that you press to release the quick disconnect fuel hose connector.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
yaris9876

I hope that the disconnect is reusable.... btw the tubes are NOT visible all the way down with the cover off..not even close. But I got a mirror and was able to see down and the is a piece of black plastic..???
jammed down there....I tried to fish it out but couldnt with out a special tool ...I dont know how I am going to get it out..I need a strong hook but it has to be very skinny. Any ideas???
My injectors look good....no crud or rust... is that good enough?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris9876 View Post
I hope that the disconnect is reusable.... btw the tubes are NOT visible all the way down with the cover off..not even close. But I got a mirror and was able to see down and the is a piece of black plastic..???
jammed down there....I tried to fish it out but couldnt with out a special tool ...I dont know how I am going to get it out..I need a strong hook but it has to be very skinny. Any ideas???
My injectors look good....no crud or rust... is that good enough?
The disconnects are reusable. I have disconnected and reconnected the ones on my red Yaris 20+ times with some aftermarket fuel saving device testing I have been doing for a client.

As far as the piece of stuck plastic goes, it may be melted in there, so you may have to work to get it out. I would look for a set of long forceps (the long skinny medical pliers). I have a couple of sets that I bought at a tool show that are quite handy for things like that.

For access, I believe you are thinking that the wiper cowling is blocking your view. You can remove that easily by removing the wiper arm (pop the cover over the nut and remove the nut and then release the plastic clips that retain it.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
yaris9876

I got it back together and it still runs the same. I got the new plugs in ok.
The engine light has always been on but now it blinks for the last few days. What might that mean??
still running rough and missing power then ok then missing etc..
Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

MIL flashes when a catalyst damaging misfire is detected.

Did you get the piece of plastic out of the tube, and if so, was it by any chance a piece of the coil pack for that cylinder?

You really should have someone read the stored codes as that would help pinpoint the source of the issue.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
yaris9876

I think it was a piece of the coil but who knows.I got it out by stabbing it with a steak knife.
btw if you were going to buy a new Toyota right now and wanted 40 mpg or close and only wanted to spend 15K which model would you buy??? I dont want another Yaris.MIne has an honest 405K on it
with no major repairs at all. But I am tired of it.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I think it was a piece of the coil but who knows.I got it out by stabbing it with a steak knife.
btw if you were going to buy a new Toyota right now and wanted 40 mpg or close and only wanted to spend 15K which model would you buy??? I dont want another Yaris.MIne has an honest 405K on it
with no major repairs at all. But I am tired of it.
If it was a piece of the coil your misfires may be due to that coil being damaged.

For another Yaris-mileage $15K Toyota, you would probably have to go the used Prius route. The Corolla is fairly close as well. I have a buddy who claims to regularly get 38 MPG with his 09 Corolla S.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
MIne has an honest 405K on it with no major repairs at all.
Congratulations . I'm hoping I'll make it to 400k and be able to say the same thing.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
yaris9876

how much is a new coil with plug ready to install??
Old 12-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
how much is a new coil with plug ready to install??
They are about $150 from Toyota. You can buy used ones for $50 or less. I have some spare good ones on hand if you are interested in a used one.