Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #217
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Oh , looked like the door switch for the dome light .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #218
RG01

Drives: 07'Toyota Yaris;02 Toyota Echo
Hey Guys, Yaris Gal owner here. I am having THE SAME issue with the clunking and control arm crap. I have a 2007 Yaris Sedan and this started happening to me as SOON as I drove it off the lot. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not hear anything! And now, wouldn't you guess it, over 100k on my odom and will the dealer cover this? Do you happen to have any suggestions for me on how I should proceed? Is there a DIY for the fix..one for replacing the control arm and maybe one for just replacing the bolt? I would so greatly appreciate this! Thanks and I hope it all works out well for you. I pray that this nightmare ends soon. :-(
RG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #219
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Several times, both here in Texas and in Florida, I've heard natives debating cold climate natives who are complaining about the heat. Each time the discussion has ended with the FL or TX native saying 'You don't have to shovel humidity'. Each time the cold weather native has had no answer, because there isn't one .
In NJ theres no earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamies, landslides, floods, (theres plenty of water though) forest fires, and its not too hot in winter or cold in summer.

I was going to say no hurricanes but after Sandy I guess I cant.

Wait a minute we had no problem near Philly. No problem at all. If you live near the ocean yeah you might have had a problem.

My brother and Mom live in Houston and Moms in a nursing home. Twice they had to skeedaddle.

She said she wanted to retire someplace where its warm!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #220
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG01 View Post
Hey Guys, Yaris Gal owner here. I am having THE SAME issue with the clunking and control arm crap. I have a 2007 Yaris Sedan and this started happening to me as SOON as I drove it off the lot. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not hear anything! And now, wouldn't you guess it, over 100k on my odom and will the dealer cover this? Do you happen to have any suggestions for me on how I should proceed? Is there a DIY for the fix..one for replacing the control arm and maybe one for just replacing the bolt? I would so greatly appreciate this! Thanks and I hope it all works out well for you. I pray that this nightmare ends soon. :-(
Check out this post for info on the location of the bolts: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=117

You will very easily be able to see if one is broken, as the head will be missing. If you do find that the bolt has sheared, go back to the dealer and point it out the them. DIYing repair of a sheared one would be a big job as you would have to drop the subframe to get at the broken bolt.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #221
bronsin

Question.

I live in NJ where we seldom have snow, and when we do, the ammount of salt they put on the road is minimal. (I grew up in upstate NY...can you say "lake effect snow"?)

Because of my physical condition Im unable to r and r these bolts. Its very inconvient to take the car to the dealer, but if necessary I will.

Has anyone had problems with these bolts who lives in an area where road salt is not an issue?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #222
bronsin

Ha just remembered I have an electric impact gun and a 19mm impact socket!

With the car on ramps can you get the impact gun and socket on these bolts?

Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #223
RG01

Drives: 07'Toyota Yaris;02 Toyota Echo
Yes, I live in SoCal and the bolts are a problem here, too! Let's start a petition and mail this to Toyota Corporate and tell them that we will go to the news corp. if we do not get a fix for their obvious crappy workmanship. I seriously was going to buy another yaris..then this. If they do not stand by their product, how can we?
RG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #224
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Ha just remembered I have an electric impact gun and a 19mm impact socket!

With the car on ramps can you get the impact gun and socket on these bolts?

Yes
Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #225
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
" if we do not get a fix for their obvious crappy workmanship. I seriously was going to buy another yaris..then this. If they do not stand by their product, how can we? "

+1 .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #226
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
In NJ theres no earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamies, landslides, floods, (theres plenty of water though) forest fires, and its not too hot in winter or cold in summer.

I was going to say no hurricanes but after Sandy I guess I cant.

Wait a minute we had no problem near Philly. No problem at all. If you live near the ocean yeah you might have had a problem.

My brother and Mom live in Houston and Moms in a nursing home. Twice they had to skeedaddle.

She said she wanted to retire someplace where its warm!
I found leaving (with a hurricane of significant strength approaching) best. I closed on my house a few weeks before Ike hit in 2008. I left Texas on Thursday just to be safe. I later looked at a pic that someone posted from a point on U.S. 59 south of Lufkin on Friday that showed bumper to bumper traffic out there in the boonies re people trying to flee the hurricane ---- 24 hours earlier I had experienced no traffic at all at the spot where that pic was taken. I awakened in my hotel room in suburban Memphis, TN the morning after Ike and the wind (hundreds of miles away from the hurricane) had lifted up all of the outdoor furniture and carried it into the pool.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #227
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I found leaving (with a hurricane of significant strength approaching) best. I closed on my house a few weeks before Ike hit in 2008. I left Texas on Thursday just to be safe. I later looked at a pic that someone posted from a point on U.S. 59 south of Lufkin on Friday that showed bumper to bumper traffic out there in the boonies re people trying to flee the hurricane ---- 24 hours earlier I had experienced no traffic at all at the spot where that pic was taken. I awakened in my hotel room in suburban Memphis, TN the morning after Ike and the wind (hundreds of miles away from the hurricane) had lifted up all of the outdoor furniture and carried it into the pool.
Yes I told bro "Put Mom on a plane to NJ" if any hurricanes threaten. He didnt do that but at least got Mom in a car a few days before everyone else scrammed. They went to a friends house in Dallas for the duration.

Its a good thing because had they left when everyone else did they would have gotten on the freeway and been stuck in traffic for hours if not days. Even idleing the engine the car woould have run out of gas and there is no way to get gas stuck in miles of traffic. No gas no AC = no Mom.

That was twice and it happened a few years ago. Now she is in a nurseing home and beyond the capability of my brother to do anything for her. If there another hurricane she will have to be evaced by the staff.

If that happens....
Old 04-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #228
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
So i havent gone through all the posts But i am going to be taking my control arms off to change the bushings soon. Is this something I would need to worry about being i live in california so rust really isnt a issue. Might as well replace it with the updated bolt while I have it off.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #229
Starrbri

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan standard
Some people have mentioned water running out after removing the bolts and the rust appears to be on the threads. It seems water is entering and not draining. Is there way to seal or prevent the water for entering? If the threads on the bolt are rusted, can we also assume the control arm threads are also corroded? Will it eventually need to be replaced? I just purchased a 2007 yaris and am planning on inspecting this weekend.
Starrbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #230
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrbri View Post
Some people have mentioned water running out after removing the bolts and the rust appears to be on the threads. It seems water is entering and not draining. Is there way to seal or prevent the water for entering? If the threads on the bolt are rusted, can we also assume the control arm threads are also corroded? Will it eventually need to be replaced? I just purchased a 2007 yaris and am planning on inspecting this weekend.
If you look at the TSB, which is either posted in this thread or in the other one on this issue, Toyota does some seam sealing when performing the TSB. Theoretically that would reduce the amount of water that can enter the sleeve. Someone on this thread mentioned drilling a small hole in the sleeve near the bolt head, and that would probably help quite a bit as well.

The control arm is not threaded. The bolt passes through it up to the body. The rusting seems to be further down the bolt than the threaded area, so presumably the body threads are fine.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #231
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Yes I told bro "Put Mom on a plane to NJ" if any hurricanes threaten. He didnt do that but at least got Mom in a car a few days before everyone else scrammed. They went to a friends house in Dallas for the duration.

Its a good thing because had they left when everyone else did they would have gotten on the freeway and been stuck in traffic for hours if not days. Even idleing the engine the car woould have run out of gas and there is no way to get gas stuck in miles of traffic. No gas no AC = no Mom.

That was twice and it happened a few years ago. Now she is in a nurseing home and beyond the capability of my brother to do anything for her. If there another hurricane she will have to be evaced by the staff.

If that happens....
I (at some point before my house was finished) saw the pictures that PREVIOUSLY were attached to the Wikipedia entry for Hurricane Rita (which occurred in 2005). One of the pictures showed Interstate 45 in Southern Montgomery County with the Contraflow configuration (All lanes on both sides set to head North (away from the Gulf)). In that picture I-45 was a parking lot and cars were pulled over with hoods up. I vowed that If I was around and a storm like that was headed for Houston, that I would get a jump on getting away (and I did). I don't know why that picture was taken off the Wikipedia entry. It was up there for a couple of years at least after the storm. Perhaps someone had copyrighted the picture, became aware that it was being used, and denied use to Wikipedia.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #232
websurferdude

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Can someone tell me if my VIN# JTDBT92387112623#
Old 04-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #233
Starrbri

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by websurferdude View Post
Can someone tell me if my VIN# JTDBT92387112623#
I do not believe it applies to yours as you VIN is subsequent to JTDBT923194055672
Starrbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #234
Mtlmom

Drives: Yaris sedan 2008
Just found your forum and a great big thanks goes out to you! My bolt has broken off and I found your forum. Thank you so much for the TSB. Though my warranty is over, I do have a service call done at 53 000 km where I was complaining about the suspension making a noise and they verified and redid the brakes (in 2011)????? Wish me luck! Couldn't have done anything without you! :o)
Mtlmom is offline   Reply With Quote