Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
New car battery recommendation

I have a 2008 Yaris Coupe auto with 120k on it and the battery test shows its time to look at replacement.

I usually have used Interstate batteries, but was looking for y'all's thoughts on a good replacement. Money isn't an issue. Looking just for dependability and OEM type, not performance.

Thanks for any thoughts. I live in Houston, TX, so keep that in mind that cold weather isn't an issue.

Pat
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
Nevermind...I am going with an Optima red top...they are available locally for about $200. Don't want to mess with having a good battery, so $200 is reasonable given the alternative.
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
If you haven't made the purchase yet, I'd look at the NAPA Legend. At least one of the car care radio shows in our area recommends this battery. CTScott also uses this battery. IIRC = about $105.00.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
If you haven't made the purchase yet, I'd look at the NAPA Legend. At least one of the car care radio shows in our area recommends this battery. CTScott also uses this battery. IIRC = about $105.00.
I have the NAPA Legend in two of mine. They are a great battery for the price and are made by Deka.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^ I hope Yarflana sees this before he spends almost twice as much.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
+ 1

I've already made a note to look into this battery when the times comes
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
The Optima Red Top is a great battery as well, so even though it is twice as much, by the nature of its design it should last about 1.5x the life of a traditional configuration battery like the Legend.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The Optima Red Top is a great battery as well, so even though it is twice as much, by the nature of its design it should last about 1.5x the life of a traditional configuration battery like the Legend.
Even in Houston ? (Yarflana lives in the NW part of the metro)
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
if you live in warmer areas, i believe the redtop will last longer compared to other batteries out there. I doubt it would make a big difference in colder areas.

My 07 Yaris battery is 7 years old now..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
if you live in warmer areas, i believe the redtop will last longer compared to other batteries out there. I doubt it would make a big difference in colder areas.

My 07 Yaris battery is 7 years old now..
^^^^^That is pretty much at the crux of my curiosity. Is 1.5x the ratio that solely the numbers, principles, etc. lead his highly qualified brain to conclude based on the two designs, or is the 1.5x ratio that same scientific conclusion applied to a specific climate? A sample of different types of climates? An industry standard? Not doubting (CTScott comes closer to total Yaris omniscience than anyone else....only continuing to best himself.... and likely comes close in EE, and other areas), just truly curious.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Battery life is indeed reduced at higher temperatures - for every 15 degrees F over 77, battery life is cut in half. And, this ratio is the same for all types of lead acid batteries, including the red top.

Where the life is extended in a red top, versus standard flooded plate, gel, or AGM type lead acid batteries is in its vibration resistance, its extremely pure lead plates and its higher plate surface area.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Scott, how long should lead acid battery last given best working conditions?

Cuz sealed lead acid batteries, like the ones found in home alarms as backup don't seem to last much longer than 4 years... My previous car batteries never lasted longer than 4 years either..
So as a rule of thumb, car batteries usually don't last much longer than 4-5 years. But it obviously doesn't seem to be the case with most of the Yaris/Echo owners up here.. like mine is 7 years old and counting...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Scott, how long should lead acid battery last given best working conditions?

Cuz sealed lead acid batteries, like the ones found in home alarms as backup don't seem to last much longer than 4 years... My previous car batteries never lasted longer than 4 years either..
So as a rule of thumb, car batteries usually don't last much longer than 4-5 years. But it obviously doesn't seem to be the case with most of the Yaris/Echo owners up here.. like mine is 7 years old and counting...
It really depends on a lot of factors. I have had car batteries last over 10 years and I have had them only last 4 years. I believe that the best case would probably be about 15 years.

I have a Sonnenschein battery in Crashy that was manufactured in 2001, was used for some testing with the mobile robots I used to work with, spent about 7 years being used very intermittently on my Gravely walk behind tractor (which was used in the spring for rototilling and once in a while in the winter for snow blowing) and has now been in Crashy since February of 2011.

The Yaris is a bit tougher on batteries that most other cars, as it has a high static current draw (over 100 mA), which means that in a week or two of not using the car you have significantly drained the battery. So, Yaris that are driven 365 days a year will see longer battery life than Yaris that are driven intermittently.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Battery life is indeed reduced at higher temperatures - for every 15 degrees F over 77, battery life is cut in half. And, this ratio is the same for all types of lead acid batteries, including the red top.

Where the life is extended in a red top, versus standard flooded plate, gel, or AGM type lead acid batteries is in its vibration resistance, its extremely pure lead plates and its higher plate surface area.
Thank you for the most comprehensive answer I (and likely some others) could imagine. The ultimate nut/nugget re what I was thinking about (but neglected to completely articulate in my post) was -- Would the value proposition (length of life weighed against dollars spent) of those two batteries stay the same relative to each other (in addition to the life of same battery in two different climates)?....and your answer provides the answer to both of these questions.

One last question (might be considered two questions+ ) re value. With the Optima Red Top costing virtually twice as much, but lasting 1.5x as long as the NAPA Legend, are there any other advantages re the Optima Red Top that might equalize the value equation......Better starting?....Better choice when deciding to upgrade to quality aftermarket audio amplification?...Other advantages?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
not in south texas heat

10 year battery? NO WAY MAN, not in south texas heat. I've been driving since high school , over 30 years and most car batteries last on average 4-5 years down here. The battery that came in the Brand new Dodge Durango I bought a few years back only lasted 2 years. That Dodge suv was a problem since day one and I will never in the rest of my lifetime will I ever buy a Dodge again.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
It really depends on a lot of factors. I have had car batteries last over 10 years and I have had them only last 4 years. I believe that the best case would probably be about 15 years.

I have a Sonnenschein battery in Crashy that was manufactured in 2001, was used for some testing with the mobile robots I used to work with, spent about 7 years being used very intermittently on my Gravely walk behind tractor (which was used in the spring for rototilling and once in a while in the winter for snow blowing) and has now been in Crashy since February of 2011.

The Yaris is a bit tougher on batteries that most other cars, as it has a high static current draw (over 100 mA), which means that in a week or two of not using the car you have significantly drained the battery. So, Yaris that are driven 365 days a year will see longer battery life than Yaris that are driven intermittently.
Very interesting. If I was to go out of town for 1-2 weeks (or even MUCH longer) and not bring my Yaris with me (Yaris would be 'alone' ), what would be the best (safest and most effective) way to preserve the charge in the battery?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
10 year battery? NO WAY MAN, not in south texas heat. I've been driving since high school , over 30 years and most car batteries last on average 4-5 years down here. The battery that came in the Brand new Dodge Durango I bought a few years back only lasted 2 years. That Dodge suv was a problem since day one and I will never in the rest of my lifetime will I ever buy a Dodge again.
Buying 'top of the line' batteries (5yr Warranty--3yr Free Repl---last 2yrs pro rated) to get that average? I got 2 years 11 months and 2 days (and 138k+ miles) out of my OEM.....then 3 years exactly (and about 88k miles) out of a 1 year guarantee (lowest level) Sears battery.....now 14 months and 9 days (and 41k + miles) into a Wal-Mart 1 year guarantee (lowest level) battery and I wonder how healthy that battery is (did drain it listening to the radio months back , but it tested fine a month or so later). I bought that Wal-Mart battery (on 9-9-12) because Sears raised their price on their 1 year battery. Now (Nov. 16/17, 2013) Wal-Mart has raised the guarantee on that battery to 2 years, but they also raised the price (to the level of the Sears battery in 2012) and Sears has raised the price on their comparable battery again.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Very interesting. If I was to go out of town for 1-2 weeks (or even MUCH longer) and not bring my Yaris with me (Yaris would be 'alone' ), what would be the best (safest and most effective) way to preserve the charge in the battery?
When I vacation I pull the negative battery cable on all of my Yaris that are left behind. On Crashy I installed a quick disconnect, since she often goes for weeks without use.