Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
10 Amp limit for cigaretter lighter?

My Toyota Yaris owner's manual states (p. 217) that the power outlet (cigarette lighter) should not be operated at over 10 amps and 12 volts to be sure the fuse does not blow. I believe the fuse is 15 amps.

I am interested in using a 12-volt stove to heat food and water, such as the RoadPro 12 volt stove, see http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-12-Vol...8129645&sr=1-1

But apparently this stove draws 12 amps (at 12 volts) 144 watts. Will I likely have problems?

Thanks,

RMcG
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
The system is designed for a specific max amp load. It is always designed with a safety margin.

12 amps on a 10 amp system (120% of the rated capacity) probably would not be a problem if you were going to only be over the rating for a very short time. The extra amp draw is going to generate heat that can damage wires, melt the wire insulation as well as damage other components.

The description and the reviews on that thing said it took about an hour to heat a meal. I wouldn't try to draw 120% of the max rated amps for an hour, or more, out my cars electrical system.

Are you looking for something to keep things warm, or to actually cook in?
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
RMcG

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, I want to heat things up that are cold, but not cook per se. I don't want to just keep things warm that are already warm, however.

RM
Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
You could also wire in a new outlet using the proper wire and fuse. Even put it the back by the hatch.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
RMcG

Thanks for your replies. The owner's manual specifically says: "The power outlet can be used for 12 V accessories that run on less than 10 A. ....to prevent the fuse from being blown, do not use more than 12 V at 10 amps."

QUESTIONS: Would the fuse blow before any damage to the wiring occurs?

Is it a difficult job to rewire in a new outlet with the proper (12 Amps rated) wire and fuse?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
....QUESTIONS: Would the fuse blow before any damage to the wiring occurs?....
I would expect so as that is what fuses are for.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
RMcG

Radio Shack and Auto parts stores sell auxiliary power outlets that are rated to 15 amps. It looks like you essentially run a (red) positive from your battery post through the firewall into you cab and then ground a (black) negative. You can also add a 15 amp in series fuse.

QUESTIONS: The only questions seems to be how difficult it would be to do this. Is it easy to make or find a hole in the firewall? I suppose you can just make or solder a connection to the positive battery cable. Is a good ground inside the cab available?

Also can the battery handle a 12 amp draw? (Since the cigarette lighter, auxiliary power outlet can handle up to 10 amps, it seems like a 12 amp draw on the battery would probably be OK.) According to the owner's manual, the maximum charge rate is 5 amps.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Check out my remote start DIY for a location on the under dash fuse panel for +12. The spade terminal that I show in the guide is actually a location for a fusible link for an option that we don't get on this side of the globe. You can slide a 1/4" female spade terminal onto the supply side of the link position and then add an appropriately sized wire and fuse. The tap point is a 60A circuit, so you can safely add a 15 or 20 amp fused circuit to it.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=diy+remote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
RMcG

Hi Scott,

I see the spade terminal and the ground on page 3 of your guide. That is very helpful, thanks. I can use the chassis ground bolt (near or under the "driver's kick panel", picture page 3) to ground the circuit, correct?

RMcG
Old 10-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Correct
Old 10-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #11
RMcG

Thanks Scott,

RMcG
Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #12
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Check out my remote start DIY for a location on the under dash fuse panel for +12. The spade terminal that I show in the guide is actually a location for a fusible link for an option that we don't get on this side of the globe. You can slide a 1/4" female spade terminal onto the supply side of the link position and then add an appropriately sized wire and fuse. The tap point is a 60A circuit, so you can safely add a 15 or 20 amp fused circuit to it.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=diy+remote
That voltage tap is a constant +12v, right?
So, if I wanted to tap into that for a GPS or something, I would have to remember to turn it off?
Is there a 60A fuse under the hood, in case something causes a high current draw?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
That voltage tap is a constant +12v, right?
So, if I wanted to tap into that for a GPS or something, I would have to remember to turn it off?
Is there a 60A fuse under the hood, in case something causes a high current draw?
Correct on the constant. If you were running a low current device like a GPS, then you could just tap the lighter socket.

That feed is fused by a 60 fusible link on the + battery terminal.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Or, open the hood, find the exhaust manifold, and somehow secure dinner near same!

Kidding, but not really, some years ago a guy had a cookbook out for meals to be cooked while driving, back when there was a bit more room under the hood. If you're into canned food, it wouldn't be that hard to do. Other wise the cooker you described would probably work just fine. You will not harm the wiring (let the smoke out from under the dash) as that is what the fuse is for, to blow before the wiring melts. Like others have said, not that big a deal to run a dedicated circuit just for the cookstove, it'd be handy for other stuff also.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
Or, open the hood, find the exhaust manifold, and somehow secure dinner near same!

Kidding, but not really, some years ago a guy had a cookbook out for meals to be cooked while driving, back when there was a bit more room under the hood. If you're into canned food, it wouldn't be that hard to do. Other wise the cooker you described would probably work just fine. You will not harm the wiring (let the smoke out from under the dash) as that is what the fuse is for, to blow before the wiring melts. Like others have said, not that big a deal to run a dedicated circuit just for the cookstove, it'd be handy for other stuff also.
They did that this year on the US Top Gear show. The dude with the jeep had his can of baked beans explode and destroy some wiring. So, as long as you stay away from canned goods, all is fine.