Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
10 Best Used Cars for $10,000 USD

USA Today article = Per Cars.com (in no particular order) culled from a list of 60 candidates :

2008 Scion xB
2007 Prius
2007 Honda Civic
2009 Ford Focus
2008 Ford Fusion
2008 Ford Taurus
2009 Hyundai Sonata
2008 Kia Sportage
2007 Nissan Altima
2008 Mazda6

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 03-21-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Added: USA Today article =
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Theyre on drugs!

(IMHO)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Your Humble Opinion is Correct!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Theyre on drugs!

(IMHO)
Yeah, I'm not familiar with the body panels of many of them (couldn't pick one year from another), and at least half of them should be 'kicked out' without any more discussion. Just threw this out there as it was on the same page in USA Today as the article on the Mirage and wondered what others thought.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
Your Humble Opinion is Correct!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
nothing entertaining on that list, but Nissan is doing a ton right lately, so I would take anything they made if I knew it was maintained.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Nissan is doing a ton right lately
I agree. Among other good ones in their lineup , I like the Versa Note....5-door with a manual transmission, hand crank windows, and (IIRC) a split rear seat. I just wish it got better MPG.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Here is my own best used cars under $10,000:

Toyota ECHO any year

Toyota Yaris any year

Mazda Miata any year

If the car runs and drives, starts and stops, and has nothing obviously wrong with it and you have no reason not to like it BUY IT!

If the car needs work dont let that put you off. If you can do it GREAT! If you have a friend who can do it GOOD. If you have a trusted mechanic who can do it OK.

If there IS obviously something wrong offer less money. Dont feel guilty. Remember as my father said "The whole world is (blank) you and hurray for me!"

Remember the ECHO I bought for my son for $3000 six years ago with 117k on it. I would say we put $300 in it all in all. We sold it for about half that after putting ~200k miles on it. He drove to it Seattle TWICE with his gf. While we changed the oil fairly regularly, there were times when I checked the dipstick and there was NO OIL on it. There were times when we changed the oil together and 2 or 3 quarts came out. There were times when there was 10 psi in the tires.

Oh I forgot it needed a new MAF sensor but it took two years to figure that out. I discovered the problem when I swapped MAF sensors with my 09 Yaris. My CEL went on, his went out. Rebuilt MAF: $90 at NAPA. Its in my Yaris now. Mine is on its was to Costa Rice with the car.

BTW the engine and transmission were good on that car. He complained of steering issues. If we didnt have the money to get him another car I would have 1)fixed the car myself were I able 2) taken it to a trusted mechanc and said "Heres $2000 evaluate the car and fix what you think needs fixing $2000 worth. Call me and tell me what you find out and what you think should be done."

Then I would drive the car another 200,000 k miles!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Here is my own best used cars under $10,000:

Toyota ECHO any year

Toyota Yaris any year

Mazda Miata any year

If the car runs and drives, starts and stops, and has nothing obviously wrong with it and you have no reason not to like it BUY IT!

If the car needs work dont let that put you off. If you can do it GREAT! If you have a friend who can do it GOOD. If you have a trusted mechanic who can do it OK.

If there IS obviously something wrong offer less money. Dont feel guilty. Remember as my father said "The whole world is (blank) you and hurray for me!"

Remember the ECHO I bought for my son for $3000 six years ago with 117k on it. I would say we put $300 in it all in all. We sold it for about half that after putting ~200k miles on it. He drove to it Seattle TWICE with his gf. While we changed the oil fairly regularly, there were times when I checked the dipstick and there was NO OIL on it. There were times when we changed the oil together and 2 or 3 quarts came out. There were times when there was 10 psi in the tires.

Oh I forgot it needed a new MAF sensor but it took two years to figure that out. I discovered the problem when I swapped MAF sensors with my 09 Yaris. My CEL went on, his went out. Rebuilt MAF: $90 at NAPA. Its in my Yaris now. Mine is on its was to Costa Rice with the car.

BTW the engine and transmission were good on that car. He complained of steering issues. If we didnt have the money to get him another car I would have 1)fixed the car myself were I able 2) taken it to a trusted mechanc and said "Heres $2000 evaluate the car and fix what you think needs fixing $2000 worth. Call me and tell me what you find out and what you think should be done."

Then I would drive the car another 200,000 k miles!
A roommate of mine in the 80s was dating a girl who drove a '63 Galaxie 500. Something started malfunctioning on the car and she freaked out. Her dad offered him the car for $100 bucks and he bought it. He eventually figured out what was wrong and the part cost him under $200 bucks, IIRC. He drove that car for another 5+years and had no problems. The car lasted longer than the relationship .