Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #19
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
but I really need to get a front plate which is also required in Utah-I know, but hate the look of it.
That's the silliest thing I've read on these forums this week!

A law is a law, which totally trumps your unquantifiable sense of aesthetics. What's even sillier is that you were initially issued 2 plates by your State's DMV!

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #20
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
It's a secondary offense in UT. so I guess that places it low on the totem pole for the importance of the law. Yep, still have the other plate, but I'm not put'n it on to display my pure disdain for the law more than aesthetics actually.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhjort View Post
Well I would understand not complaining if I had LIMO BLACK or some shiit that made it very hard to see out, but I bought the car in Florida and it came with the LEGAL LIMIT there. I'm not just being a deuchbag bitching about cops and stuff. Obviously if I was I would have opened with "FUKCING COPS or PIGS or whatever. I am complaining about the PRICE. $105 for some tint that's at the legal limit in most states. That seems a little ridiculous to me. I was expecting maybe $40 or $50 tops, but when they charge me $50 in fines and then another $55 (court charge) for some guy to open an envelope, say "OK, $50 fine for tinting", and then mail it back to me...that's what's bullshiit!! And I can agree with that skin cancer stuff. Now that I took it off, my arms are burning whenever the sun hits 'em. That's why the limits are higher in sunnier states I guess, but unless you're an idiot you realize we have the same sun in every state. I dunno It's just annoying.
I feel your pain. I had to remove my tints as well. However, if you purchased a car in a different state and move to another, you must comply with their vehicle codes. Sucks big time, but that's how it goes. As for me, I just purchased two of those shades that are suction applied onto the window. Yeah, it looks tacky, but my arms are thanking me. hahahahaha.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #22
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
All states have tint laws so, you can't fault NYS.

As others have alluded to, people flaunt the law with illegle tints and lights then bitch when they get pulled over.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #23
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Front plates are required in Texas as well; but you wouldn't know it from the number of people who aren't concerned about it until they get caught!

Funny thing was, I got stopped driving into France because I didn't have a license plate on the front of my car (it was registered in Florida therefore it wasn't required). All European countries have laws requiring license plates on the front. The border officials were quite concerned at first, then they were taken back by the fact that I had University of Florida license plates on the back of my car (it's my alma mater). They asked if I had been to their Disney World and if so, how it compared to theirs. I replied I hadn't had the opportunity to visit the French one yet, but it was on my list after the battlefields of the Somme.

Oddly enough, the window tint I had on my car in Belgium for three years was illegal; but I was able to get it through inspection every year thanks to the help of a local mechanic friend...but I did manage to rack up quite a few speed camera tickets! The bottom line is, you get caught, you pay the fine; simple enough!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #24
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
What level of tint is legal in all 50 states? If I were about to tint my car I'd just do that. There's already enough to worry about when traveling.

As for getting a too much tint ticket in your own state? There's this thing they came out with called the internet. If what I hear is true it's very easy to look stuff like that up now.

Edit: In case it helps anyone I looked it up.

http://www.tintlaws.com/

Last edited by 2+2; 11-29-2009 at 06:47 AM.
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #25
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
That's the silliest thing I've read on these forums this week!

A law is a law, which totally trumps your unquantifiable sense of aesthetics. What's even sillier is that you were initially issued 2 plates by your State's DMV!
Law may trump the unquantifiable sense of aesthetics but there is no getting around the fact that a front plate ruins a car. Whether a supercar or an econocar. I have never had a front plate on any of my cars. I couldn't imagine buying a new Porsche/Audi/BMW and having 2 or 4 holes drilled in the bumper and the front plate slapped on. I'll take the ticket everytime....
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #26
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Just because, "a law is a law," doesn't mean you should obey it. What happened to this countries sense of independence? What happened to your ability to question, and think for yourself? I hate how weak and sheepish you people sound when you say things like, "You have to obey this law because ... it's the law!" It's people who blindly obey laws that create a runaway, crazy, out of control government.

This country was founded on dissent, and the thought that if the government was not meeting the needs of the people that it should be dismantled.

However, for the time being... the law is in place. If you were complaining about this before you got a ticket, and were actively taking steps to petition your local legislators to even attempt to get something changed, then I would understand.

P.S. Thomas Jefferson rules.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #27
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyz View Post
You can have tints in NY, but only to a certain darkness. I had smoked in my last Yaris as I plan on doing with this one. No problems from the cops at all because they were smoked. Limo tint is a bit extreme and IMO doesn't look good at all. The cop has to be able to see you in the day time and especially with the cell phone/texting laws, that's why more people are getting pulled over for dark tint.

i don't mean to call you out, but this is slightly wrong. in NY you can have window tint on you TRUCK , VAN, OR SUV but you can not have any window tint on you car at all UNLESS it is registered as a vehicle that transports people for a job (limo). the reason for this is because a car is considered a passenger vehicle and the police re required to be able to see all passengers inside the car at any time, but an suv, van, or a truck are considered work vehicles and aren't considered vehicles the carry around people therefor it isn't as important for the police to see inside the windows. yes it is stupid and really makes little sense all together, but that is the NYS law about window tint.

every window comes with a 75% tint to it already (except the windshield which is why you can see a slight difference) and i'm pretty sure they have UV protection to them too, so you skin cancer argument probably won't work too well. also, even though still illegal, if your back door windows and back window are tinted but your front door windows aren't you usually won't have any problem at all. 99% of the police will consider that perfectly fine. and you knew it was illegal before you put it on... if you did it yourself the package mentions it possibly being illegal and only for offroad use or something to that extent and if a shop did it they usually tell you up front that it is illegal so that when you do get the ticket they can't be held liable.

what worked for me when i got my window tint ticket (i did my research before being a dick to the courts) was i went to the court for that first date, talked to the DA they had there and worked out a deal. if i took the tint off and had a note signed by any local police dept. as being legally acceptable they would throw the ticket out... cost me $20 to take the tint off my front 2 windows and 30 mins to find the dumbest cop to say that was perfectly fine and write a note. took that to them with my dads car (so they didn't see the tint left on it) and ticket was gone... for much cheaper than what it would have been. since then i refuse to put tint on my car because i don't enjoy run ins with the cops for stupid reasons... it just wastes me time having to figure out how to be an ass for something that was my fault to begin with
Old 11-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #28
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Just because, "a law is a law," doesn't mean you should obey it.
keep with these ideals, and a wood shampoo is in your future
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #29
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2 View Post
What level of tint is legal in all 50 states? If I were about to tint my car I'd just do that. There's already enough to worry about when traveling.

As for getting a too much tint ticket in your own state? There's this thing they came out with called the internet. If what I hear is true it's very easy to look stuff like that up now.

Edit: In case it helps anyone I looked it up.

http://www.tintlaws.com/
You only have to be legal in the state in which your car is registered...
Old 11-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #30
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
the reason for this is because a car is considered a passenger vehicle and the police are required to be able to see all passengers inside the car at any time
Well, I'm going to put forth a bill for a law that says blinds and window shades on houses are illegal, because its too dangerous for police to not be able to see you inside your house....

Actually, we should just all live in greenhouses, that way the police will know what were doing 24/7 and we can all live happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
every window comes with a 75% tint to it already (except the windshield which is why you can see a slight difference) and i'm pretty sure they have UV protection to them too, so you skin cancer argument probably won't work too well.
Uhhh... I've gotten sunburns from rolled up windows before dude. They might have slight UV protection, but its no where near enough, especially if you drive for long periods of time on a regular basis..
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #31
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Just because, "a law is a law," doesn't mean you should obey it. What happened to this countries sense of independence? What happened to your ability to question, and think for yourself? I hate how weak and sheepish you people sound when you say things like, "You have to obey this law because ... it's the law!" It's people who blindly obey laws that create a runaway, crazy, out of control government.

This country was founded on dissent, and the thought that if the government was not meeting the needs of the people that it should be dismantled.

However, for the time being... the law is in place. If you were complaining about this before you got a ticket, and were actively taking steps to petition your local legislators to even attempt to get something changed, then I would understand.

P.S. Thomas Jefferson rules.

Yeah well, some laws are absolutly nessary, some laws just make sense, and some laws are a bit confusing, etc.

However, Thomas Jefferson did not advocate totall disobedience of a law simlpy becase you do not like or understand it!
There are reasons for tint, LP, lights laws etc.

Jefferson has been misquoted out of contex a lot recently and it seves no other purpose other than attempting to justfy unlawful actions.

Also, those who often cry the loudest that liberties are being taken away and misquote Jefferson, say that states should make the laws and that is exactly what the states are doing.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #32
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
you should read exactly what your state stature says. In missouri were required to have 2 plates on our cars but it says something to the effect of being afixed to the front of the vehicle, not specifically mounted to the bumpers. so i have my wedged on my dash. it can b seen from the front of vehicle. our tint law is written funny as well.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #33
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Drives: '07 Vitz Lifty, Stick Shift
Damn, I guess I hit a few nerves...all I was complaining about was the amount of the fine, and the ridiculous court fee that's actually more than the fine. I'm all about there being laws as long as there's reasons for them, but on a law that has reasons that are obviously bullshiit and when they figure so many people are gunna break it that they try to make an "example" by charging outrageous amounts in fines for it...that's what I'm disagreeing with.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #34
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
our tint ticket was like $200
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #35
Richie76

Drives: Toyota Yaris 07
I think it's ridiculous that different states have different rules and regulations, (don't worry it happens here in Australia too) Road rules and registration requirements should be uniform so that a car that is legal in one state is legal in all states...
Richie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #36
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie76 View Post
I think it's ridiculous that different states have different rules and regulations, (don't worry it happens here in Australia too) Road rules and registration requirements should be uniform so that a car that is legal in one state is legal in all states...
Since you're not an American, you probably don't understand the importance of state's rights in this country. It is guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment of our Bill of Rights, which restates the Constitution's principle of federalism by providing that powers not granted to the national government nor prohibited to the states by the constitution of the United States are reserved to the states or the people. It is similar to an earlier provision of the Articles of Confederation: "Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled. It makes explicit the idea that the federal government is limited only to the powers granted in the Constitution, is generally recognized to be a truism in this country. It is complex, but serves as the foundation of our government and is intended to maintain a balance of power...

Consider the right to own firearms in this country. It is supported by the Second Amendment of our Constitution, but it is up to each individual state to determine the extent of that right. Some states such as Texas, Florida and Arizona are pretty adherent, other such as NY or California are very stringent. That allows people to decide where they want to live based on the government that best aligns itself to their beliefs. As an adamant collector, I could not live in states where such strict limitations are placed on gun ownership; but those who feel opposite of that can choose to live in such a place that supports those beliefs.

However, as mentioned earlier there is reciprocity amongst the states, more so for thing such as driving and somewhat for things like concealed carry. As such, as I stated with a vehicle you only have to comply with the laws of the state in which it is registered. However, when driving in another state you have to follow their transportation code for things such as speed limits and other laws.