Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
jorizk

Drives: Yaris 2006 1.5 L Sedan
Question I think it's a battery problem.. don't you ?

Hello fellas :) How are you ?
Since a while a go I was cruisin in my 2006 yaris sedan, when I parked to get my friend. I left the radio and the lights on (low beams + fog lights) for like 7 or 8 minutes but the engine was turned off. Now when I pushed the ignition switch the engine would not turn on. Same things after a couple of tries. Then I turned off the lights. I tried once more, the engine started, but the starting phase (the part when the electrical motor does the work) seemed slow and hard on the car.
The thing is that the battery is stock and of course it must last more than three years:S What should i do ? Should I replace it ?

I would appreciate your suggestions.
jorizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorizk View Post
Hello fellas :) How are you ?
Since a while a go I was cruisin in my 2006 yaris sedan, when I parked to get my friend. I left the radio and the lights on (low beams + fog lights) for like 7 or 8 minutes but the engine was turned off. Now when I pushed the ignition switch the engine would not turn on. Same things after a couple of tries. Then I turned off the lights. I tried once more, the engine started, but the starting phase (the part when the electrical motor does the work) seemed slow and hard on the car.
The thing is that the battery is stock and of course it must last more than three years:S What should i do ? Should I replace it ?

I would appreciate your suggestions.
don't leave lights or stereo or any electricals on when the car is off... that is why batteries die prematurely. 7-8 minutes may not seem like much, but take a look at the fuse rating for your lights & radio (plus amps if you have them)... and you'll start to realize that thats a big drain, for an extended period.

so suggestions.

1: don't leave stuff on when the car is off, it kills your bat
2: don't start your car when stuff is turned on... turn stuff off, then start the car (allows the battery to dump more current, quicker into the starter)
3: you are going to have to replace your battery... if you continue your current habbits it might be a matter of days or weeks.... if you change your habbits and are lucky you might get months or even a year or so more.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
yeah that happened to me... Now i dont listen to my radio while the car is off.. and i also start the car up with nothing on.. no ac no radio.. makes for a much quicker easier startup that you will notice

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I replaced the stock battery a couple weeks after I bought the car for the very reason that it drains too quickly.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I replaced the stock battery a couple weeks after I bought the car for the very reason that it drains too quickly.
lol?

My almost 3 year old battery still fires every time first try. Never had to jump it, charge it, or anything.

Just leave your car on. It costs about 75 cents an hour. (and the hypermilers will love you)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
The dealer might replace your battery for free

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
The reason, at least for me why the car started to start slow during ignition turning was.....corrosion on battery terminal. After the cleanup, it hasn't done it again.

Did you have corrosion on your terminals, that's a cause most of the time~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
lol?

My almost 3 year old battery still fires every time first try. Never had to jump it, charge it, or anything.

Just leave your car on. It costs about 75 cents an hour. (and the hypermilers will love you)
Yup. I've never had a battery as weak as the one they use in the Yaris. I'm sure it suits its purpose as long as that purpose never involves running electrics without the engine running.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
jorizk

Drives: Yaris 2006 1.5 L Sedan
mmmm Oh okay :)... Now There's a thing i used to see my father do to his old car's battery, he fills it every now and then with distilled water. I guess it makes the acid reacts with the whole metal plates. Do you think that I must do the same ?
jorizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorizk View Post
mmmm Oh okay :)... Now There's a thing i used to see my father do to his old car's battery, he fills it every now and then with distilled water. I guess it makes the acid reacts with the whole metal plates. Do you think that I must do the same ?
Most modern batteries are "maintenance free" meaning you don't need to add water/electrolyte to them anymore. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure this is the case with the stock battery.

Your best bet is to either not run the radio, lights etc. unless the engine is running or just buy a better battery.

If you do neither and this happens again, then you will have to turn everything off and wait some time (10 mins or so) before the battery recovers enough to be able to crank it. If this happens a lot you're just shortening the life of the battery.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Most modern batteries are "maintenance free" meaning you don't need to add water/electrolyte to them anymore. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure this is the case with the stock battery.

Your best bet is to either not run the radio, lights etc. unless the engine is running or just buy a better battery.

If you do neither and this happens again, then you will have to turn everything off and wait some time (10 mins or so) before the battery recovers enough to be able to crank it. If this happens a lot you're just shortening the life of the battery.
Mine says maint free too...
I have no corrosion to speak of on my bat after 1.5 years... but I do have blue foam around the negative terminal... Guessing its from the battery bubling out the top... bats bubble internally when gasses are released during the chemical reaction... maybe happened one of the many times I jump started the GF's truck. Takes a lot to charge a 1000ca battery