Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
kudzu71

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Send a message via AIM to kudzu71 Send a message via Yahoo to kudzu71
HELP! SRS light won't go off, horn doesn't work

Last week I installed a set of fog lamps and a new light stalk with fog lamp controls on it in my 07 LB. Since then the airbag light has been on and the horn does not work. Also the steering wheel makes a clicking noise when I turn it. The steering wheel was also a bit off center.

Tonight I took the steering wheel apart again to try and align it better and check to make sure the wires to the airbag/horn were not loose. I read in another thread (the one about installing the intermittent wiper blades I think) that before I reattach the steering wheel I need to turn that black disc counterclockwise until it stops, then back 2.5 turns and line up the arrows. I tried that but it never stopped turning counterclockwise. There is a note on the wheel that says "5 turns" but it doesn't say in which direction.

The wires to the airbag and horn were snug and attached as they should be. I checked the fuses and didn't see one that looked like it was for either of those things, so I am at a loss as to what I should do next.

I haven't taken it out on drive yet to check the steering wheel alignment. I'll check that tomorrow. Right now I'm more worried about not having a horn or airbag.

Anyone have any ideas? I shudder to think what the dealer might charge me to check this out an fix it.
kudzu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
That sounds bad about the spiral cable - they are both delicate and expensive. Better pray that's not the problem.

Problem could also be a bad ground. Maybe you left a wire unattached when grounding the foglights. Go back and look at any ground point that's been disturbed recently.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
Yeah the centre spiral is only meant to turn 5 turns from end to end. So counter clockwise all the way and 2.5 turns clockwise will be the centre.. From the sounds if it, you might have broken the centre spiral? =\

spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
kudzu71

D'oh! It never did give me any resistance. I figured it would catch or something to let me know it was done turning.

I found the part. ToyoDIY.com lists it at $297.21 (part# 84306-22010). I'll check with the dealer tomorrow to see what they'd charge to replace it.

Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited by kudzu71; 06-19-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Don't feel bad, I accidentally broke my spiral cable while putting the stalk on as well. I just bought the replacement from Sparks and installed it myself. The replacement is really easy, it's already calibrated so you just plug it in and break off the key, put your steering wheel back in, etc.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
kudzu71

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Don't feel bad, I accidentally broke my spiral cable while putting the stalk on as well. I just bought the replacement from Sparks and installed it myself. The replacement is really easy, it's already calibrated so you just plug it in and break off the key, put your steering wheel back in, etc.
Oh wow. Thanks. I'll give that a try!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
foxtail

Drives: 07 yaris lb
Where is this sparks place and how much was the spiral cable going for. My abs needs it, so the dealer tells me. Error code 1801 is what comes up. Thanks, Foxtail.
foxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
the airbag light will come on when you disconnect the airbag and will stay on until the dealer turns it off.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
foxtail

Drives: 07 yaris lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
the airbag light will come on when you disconnect the airbag and will stay on until the dealer turns it off.
As per message, "The replacement is really easy, it's already calibrated so you just plug it in and break off the key, put your steering wheel back in, etc"
foxtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
any time you disconnect the airbag its going to turn on the srs light. its going to show a fault in the srs computer that says something disrupted the current in the srs harness. what are they saying is calibrated?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtail View Post
Where is this sparks place and how much was the spiral cable going for. My abs needs it, so the dealer tells me. Error code 1801 is what comes up. Thanks, Foxtail.
Foxtail, I think he is referring to TRDSparks websites:

http://www.trdsparks.com/index.php

and for OEM parts search

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214631
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
Following these directions should clear the codes out of the SRS ECU and turn off the SRS light:

Here is the procedure for manually clearing the stored codes (The SM says that some codes do not clear with a power down):

1. With a jumper, connect the TC and CG terminals on the OBD port.

2. When the SRS light starts flashing the codes, within 3 to 10 seconds remove the jumper frm TC. After 3 seconds the SRS light will come on solid.

3. Within 2 to 4 seconds after the SRS lights, reconnect the jumper to TC.

4. Within 2 to 4 seconds the SRS light will go off. Once it does, within 2 to 4 seconds disconnect TC.

5. Within 2 to 4 seconds the SRS light will come one solid again. Within 2 to 4 seconds after the SRS lights, reconnect the jumper to TC.

6. Within 2 to 4 seconds the SRS light will go off. One second later, if all DTCs are cleared the SRS light will flash steadily on and off. If codes are still registered it will flash in the pattern to indicate the stored codes.
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote