Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
rokmeamadeus

Drives: 2008 Yaris (Base) LB
Re-key question

Hi folks,

My Yaris seems to be having a rough few weeks. It was stolen earlier this week, only to be found three days later thanks to the Philly police. Apparently my key came off the keyring and (I'm assuming) fell somewhere on the sidewalk (I'm assuming) relatively near the car (everything else was intact on the keyring).

Yeah, I know.

Long story short, I have it in the shop for repairs but insurance won't cover lock replacement. My adjuster suggested I look into rekeying, and that sounds like a brilliant idea. I looked up on the internet and it seems to me like this could get expensive, but I'm unsure. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on the best way to proceed here? I'm still missing one key (I have two spares). Should I replace the locks (and ignition?), or should I rekey the car? Any guesstimates of how much this'll run me? It's an '08 Liftback.

Thanks!
rokmeamadeus is offline   Reply With Quote