Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Synthetic Oil Questions.

Hello. Let me explain my story first then ill ask my questions.

So i was reading that your supposed to have your oil changed the first 1000 miles on a brand new car. So i did. I never had my oil changed before and i heard synthetic oil was better for the engine so i had them put synthetic oil in at 1000 miles. I had that done February 26, 2009. I do not drive often because i use other means of transportation. It is now July 14, 2009 and i have 4100 miles on my car. The sticker on the inside tells me to change the oil at 6, 303 miles. Here is where im confused. Synthetic oil is supposed to last longer apparently. I called toyota and they told me to change my oil every 5000 miles OR 6 months. Well i will coming upon 6 months at the end of august/beginning of september. I will not hit 6,303 miles by then. So do i change it before 6,303 for warranty purposes, or do i just wait because its synthetic and it will last.

That is why im so confused. Can i void my warranty by waiting longer then 6 months to change synthetic oil?

I just do not understand paying 60 dollars every 6 months for oil that is supposed to last longer then that.

Can someone please explain to me what i should be doing? Thanks
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
do you use oem toyota filters?
i believe you may need to because of the filters getting full and needing changing, the oil may still be good, but if the filter is full of gunk, it's probably just easier to flush it all out and refill it. i'm actually debating getting synthetic for my next oil change...i keep going back and forth on it
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Twistoffate0817

So if i just changed the filter i would NOT be voiding the warranty? should i be worried about voiding the warranty?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
it would be pretty tough (i think) to change the filter but not the oil. and if you change the oil yourself synthetic will only cost you about $35 and change. the yaris is quite easy to change your oil on too.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Twistoffate0817

i have no idea how to change the oil myself. haha. i would end up breaking something.

im just concerned with voiding the warranty. if i go 7 months does that void the warranty?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
scape

i doubt it, the salesperson and mechanic at different times told me people come in 500-1000 miles over and under all the time.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
gte123v

Drives: 09 meteorite 3dr LB
The only way to know for sure how long you can go without changing the oil is if you get your used oil tested by a lab (blackstone labs) and see how much wear is done to the engine since the last time the oil was changed. From there you can judge how much longer you can go until the next change.
gte123v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
just have right amount of receipt for oil based on how long you have ur car and kms on it and change it ur self and ull be fine..

i change mine normally every 5 months / 8000 kms so for ei. 2 years if im currently at 40000km then i should have 5 receipts of 4 liters oil but i but it in cases..so go figure.

but heres the tricky part i dont have to nessesary change my oil in 8000k i can do it in 10k..and with the oil im using im on 9500km right now and oil is still see thru..i kid u not.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I would follow Toyota's recommendations to the letter while under warranty even though the oil will probably go further. While under warranty the only cost effective choices IMO are conventional oil or over the counter syns like Pennzoil Platinum.

If something catastrophic happens to your engine you will have given them a potential way out by not following the 6 month recommendation. I'm using Schaeffer's and changing at 6 months even though it will probably go 7500 or 1 year under my conditions. BTW for the purpose of warranty changing just the filter will not cover it I'm afraid.

On a side note like most other products not all syns are created equal and are not automatically superior because they are synthetic. Most however will go beyond 6 months.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Honestly... I saw virtually no change in mpg's changing to synth.... I ran regular oil until 13,000. I wouldn't waste the money on better oil until you got higher miles. Some people wait until the warranty is up before doing synth.

And... from what I hear, you can change the filter without loosing more than about a cup of oil.

Once i'm out of warranty I plan on doing API grp IV or V, and changing oil only every 10k, but with frequent filter changes.

Be safe... just get the regular oil change done.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistoffate0817 View Post

Can i void my warranty by waiting longer then 6 months to change synthetic oil?
Can someone please explain to me what i should be doing? Thanks
If you have major engine problems during the warranty period you can bet the dealer will use your failure to comply with scheduled maintenance as a very large loophole to exonerate the dealership from covering the cost of repairs,While you are under warranty they basically call the shots.once out of warranty 8000 to 10,000 miles between synthetic oil changes or in your case once a year change just before winter.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-15-2009 at 12:37 PM.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Changing the oil exactly on schedule is not the issue. It's abuse and not doing regular maintenance. Changing early or late will not void the warranty.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Changing early or late will not void the warranty.
Within reason. Back in the '70s and '80s when Mobil 1 was advertising extended drain intervals, I'm sure I damaged two engines by blithely following them. I don't believe in extended drain intervals with any oil now, and if you're going to be changing at the recommended intervals, I don't believe there's any real advantage to using a synthetic oil unless you're operating in extreme Arctic cold.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Within reason. Back in the '70s and '80s when Mobil 1 was advertising extended drain intervals, I'm sure I damaged two engines by blithely following them. I don't believe in extended drain intervals with any oil now, and if you're going to be changing at the recommended intervals, I don't believe there's any real advantage to using a synthetic oil unless you're operating in extreme Arctic cold.
Ive read on here from ppl using synth oil (redline, in one example) that the smoothness of their shifts seems fairly significantly improved. Non? Especially re: downshifting into 1st as you approach stop signs / traffic lights.

Im out of warranty now (at 3.5 years), and even though I plan to continue still going to the dealership at every 8,000km or 6 months (whichever comes first), I may still purchase some Redline synth oil and have them replace it with that when I go in for my next service appointment at Toyota.

Can anyone comment on that improvement if one switches to synth from reg oil, but still takes their car in every 8,000km/5,000 miles?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Follow up comment:

If im going to both changing to synthetic oil, im assuming many on here would also encourage me to purchase some K&N filters too and have them replace the stock oem filters with the k&n ones at my nexdt service appt?

(if i recall correctly from the owner's manual, the stock filters are recommended to be changed by the dealership once a year...

but if ive switched from oem filters to k&n ones, then when the next year rolls around, i can tell the dealership not to worry abt changing/replacing the filters, correct?)

Jem
Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
yah right..toyota dont care what youre using dont matter if ur oil and filter can withstand 1 year b4 change they will still tell you 8000km or six months.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Changing before it's needed isn't going to hurt anything, but changing after it's needed can cause a real disaster. The only way to tell when it's actually needed in an individual case would be frequent, regular oil testing, but few of us will be doing that. Toyota's warranty coverage is based on documented adherence to a fixed schedule.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
www.trulube.com.

Yup it's AMSOIL and yes I believe in it and I do sell it, but more importantly I use it (in three different vehicles) without fear of car dealers, warranties or damage from oil. I drive my Yaris in AX and in TT's and use 10w-30 Dominator Racing oil and the EAO09 oil filter. My last oil change was over 7000 miles using the dominator oil. I intend on at least that this time. I'll be doing an oil analysis as well. The filter will be changed as per the new guidance AMSOIL put out for Toyotas (OEM interval).

More info is available on my dealer page concerning the AMSOIL guarantees and warranty info. Click on the trulube banner to check it out. I think you'll find alot of useful information whether you decide on it or not.

Amsoil does say it contributes to improving mileage, but the real savings is changing oil as little once year of 25,000 miles whichever is first depending on driving type. For the 100% synthetic oil I am recommending 1 year or 15k whichever is first as many driving types fall into that range per AMSOIL recommendations. A less expensive full synthetic XL oil is avalable for 7,500/6month intervals

AMSOIL has recommended it's EA filters in many Toyotas be changed at OEM intervals due to a high level of contaminates in those engines. These filters are designed for very high mileage (up to 25,000) between changes and allow high oil flow but still capture higher then normal levels of contaminates. From what I understand (someone chime in) there is a higher level of silicate contaminates in some of the Toyota engines which has led to this recommendation.

Once again it is obvious many folks hold dear their opinions about oil and have alot to say about them. Do whats best for you and have fun drivin the your Yaris.

I had an R32 and had a ball, the Yaris has been way more fun!!
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote