Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Best modifications for the money spent
pcm / auto trans tune / reprogram 1 4.35%
tires / rims 6 26.09%
cold air / new intake 2 8.70%
forced air / intake / exhaust 2 8.70%
braking upgrades 1 4.35%
weight reduction, really ? 3 13.04%
rigidize / roll bar / etc 7 30.43%
suspension add ons 14 60.87%
other / not mentioned 2 8.70%
engine / trans / diff 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Cool Yar

Just sold my Caprice wagon and bought a 2010 Yaris sedan, black, I think. Could be some type of gray as well. Kind of color blind-ish.
Any case, it was for the longevity of the engine and great fuel mileage. Checked it over more after buying (they were strong pushers of the supposed bumper to bumper warranty) (really just a powertrain warranty). So, I had to clean and adjust the rear brakes and set tire pressures, top fluids. There are other needs, although it does seem fairly well maintained. Will go through all fluids (change/flush all) once I get paperwork and minor issues straight with selling dealership. They promised a new battery at least, I will get that Saturday. That tested at 275 cca. I wanna put some performance stuff to it, mainly cold air and handling items for now. Hopefully, besides being helped here, I can help others as well. I am a tech/mgr/writer in the business, and mostly just a tech with my tools at a Ford dealer, although I do have Yota certs and experience too. One of the dudes I used to work next to said I would get 300k miles from these 1.5's if well maintained before it even started leaking oil, which sounds nice. Although, I am a maintainer, I am a spirited driver, some may say aggressive.
Attached Images

2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I think it really depends on the direction you are going with your car. Are you more towards power, handling, aesthetics, or maybe something else?

several people would agree that the first mod to do is the rear sway bar though even that depends on what you want to do with the car.

The computer really can't be altered. I think your only optiont there is a piggy back or standalone though usually that is only worth it if you are going forced induction. There are a lot of guys here that go the FI route.

A guy you may want to talk to is CTScott as he is our resident expert on all things yaris (and toyota for that matter).

there is also an awesome website ran by a user here (CALI YARIS) he sells all sorts of things for the yaris. it is microimageonline.com and he is a supporting vendor of this site as well.

welcome to the site. hopefully I have answered some of your questions or at least given you some good information.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Welcome to the forums. Nice looking sedan. I have personally always been more partial to the sedan. There have been some sweet LB's for sure, but love mine. This is a good place to start your research:

Best / Worst Yaris Investments

Your question is too generic. In order to properly answer it a budget needs to be provided so the realistic scope can be determined.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I would start with the rear sway bar. Search the forum and you'll see it has been quoted as something it should have come with from the factory. Progressive springs and a nice set of shocks will also help. Coilovers are an option but I didn't go that route for cost, and I don't do much racing to need the adjustability. Next would be intake, exhaust, header, pulleys. No need to do engine management unless you're doing boost.

This is an excellent place to start: The Yaris Performance Primer

There's a lot of information on the site. Mine has been an evolution of the past 7 years. With maintenance there has been documented cases of over 500k strong miles on these cars. 300k is very conservative I've had lots of cars and a van. Some crap, some boosted, some big, some small but this is the FUNNEST and most reliable out of all of them. Contgrats on your choice!

I've done:
Front strut bar -Tanabe (tried driving it for 3 weeks without recently, my hatch does handle better with it.)
Rear sway bar - TRD (this is a must!)
Rear Trailing Arm Brace - GT Spec prototype
2" progressive lowering springs - Sprint Performance
17" Drag DR-9 wheels (heavy but look good) with 205/40zr17 nitto neogen tires, rubbed too much up front with 215.
Cold air intake - AEM (they also make the TRD but this one didn't have the hydrolock bypass, only was an issue once)
Header - DC Sports
Pulleys - NST lite crank, water pump, and alternator. I would go with another brand as they seem to be fading as a company.
1.3kg TRD radiator cap
Exhaust - Magnaflow 14" muffler custom-built axle-back from a local shop, was way cheaper than most axlebacks, sounds the best, and the shop was able to fit it with my Vitz RS rear bumper perfectly.
Horns - upgraded to Hella supertones (for safety and animal suicide prevention)
Shocks - TRD Sportivo, but ran the OEM shocks fine for at least 80k miles after lowering but these did help.)
Hood - VIS reverse cowl carbon fiber, vented and light
Fiberglass eyelids - purely cosmetic, but aggressive appearance.
Spoiler - C-ONE carbon fiber (replica)
Tail lights - TYC
Blinker lights - chrome colored when off, amber when on (gets rid of the egg yolk look)
Thailand Vitz RS replica body kit (picture is missing the side skirts)
Carbon fiber mirror covers
Badass custom paint job.

Hope you enjoy your yaris, I've loved every moment of mine and it's been extremely reliable for 129k miles.
Attached Images

Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
JimKellyfan

Cool Thank You

Some stuff to chew on from all of you, thanks very much. Budget is tight right now. Gonna start a new job with better pay soon as the current job combined with the wife not working has things a bit tight. Not enough hours to go around turning wise, I am up front too on occasion, but the bene's are just expensive. So, goin to a bigger company (again) to get the cheaper bene's as a raise, actually, with bonus potential to also help.
After driving it for a few days, handling is definitely first on the list. It is a bit precarious on the highway between 80-84. Front struts feel tied down and send you careening at speed if hitting a bump and rear shocks feel bouncy anytime there is no human in back or the weight of one. (of course selling dealer, one tech and the svc mgr/advr, whichever, say the suspension is fine) (they also argue the alignment is in when clearly it is not, amazing, that a place would argue with a consumer and blowing you off when they are the uneducated ones with blinders on {it's in the green, it's good} - cross camber in back is almost a full degree out and total toe is off sided on front, but the real tell tale is the wheel is a tick to the right, and if held straight, goes left). It has T rated stock sized Cooper tires, so I know that is also some of it. I will look into the sway bar first. Once I get the alignment straight, that is.
Then the other mods, but budget even when kicking in a higher gear financially, will be lower until I pay it off. Even still, no real number in the air, but really just put in what I have to for now to feel better and safer going down the road.
So, handling is definitely first. Of course aesthetics is always nice, but I never had great luck with that from either animals or other humans whacking it in the parking lot, then of course the wife has even worse luck or so she says.
But thank you all for the info.
It is highly helpful and appreciated.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
JimKellyfan

Gonna hook up with the Toyota parts dude soon for TRD stuff, and some maintenance items, trans fluid for flush, but gonna get the TRD sway bar ordered for sure, after my drive to Fla and back, only had the car a couple a weeks and already have 2k on it from 68k to 70k. I did the alignment myself, and straightened out my cross camber concerns, front and rear, much better. Gave my hubcaps to my 77 yr old great aunt for her Camry and sprayed the rims black for now. I also undercoated as well as spray painted the underside and exhaust, some with gloss, some parts with just undercoating (2 cans) and used high heat paint on the rims (then clearcoat) and a exhaust front side. I look forward to one day upgrading the speakers, and will also dynamat the door panels too. Toyota selling dealer gave me a free battery, because mine was weak in my mind at 275 CCA (I want at least 350) and got a 525 CCA new Toyota (Interstate) battery. They also ordered a radio for me, as mine didn't last a week, and the CD In stays lit intermittently. So that will be good to get that in. They also bolted up that black strip on the nose, although looking at scrapes, I am sure it will not stay there. We'll see. I road force balanced the tires and put them in the best spot for a smooth ride. (cannot wait to wear those tires out, as I will jump to 16", most likely the Motegi black rims with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires in place. I scoped the GT SPec site out, and want to get there, what I don't get from TRD. I got 38 mpg before the alignment going to Florida and back recently. It looks like a home made cold air tube can be made and placed on the passenger side, combined with a TRD high flow air filter too, that should get something. I am interested in the bigger throttle body eventually as well.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
JimKellyfan

Thanks for the help, I got the rear sway bar installed (TRD) for 143 from a Toyota dealer parts dude and friend. I got it for 143 plus tax. It feels tied down in the rear now. Awesome mod. It does make you want to do more. I plan to do all available stiffener devices available (ladder bars and the frame cross bars), 16" rims, Michelins and most likely the springs and struts/shocks by TRD as well. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
JimKellyfan

Cool woo hoo

I just ordered from GT Spec, the following:

GTS-SUS-1227 GTSPEC Front Strut Brace for Yaris Type-F - Aluminum
GTS-SUS-1229 GTSPEC 4 Points Ladder Brace for Yaris
GTS-SUS-1230 GTSPEC Mid Chassis Brace for Yaris
GTS-SUS-1231 GTSPEC Rear Lower Tie Brace for Yaris

That, to go along with the TRD sway bar.
I will take before and after pics (except sway bar, already in) then post to this thread. Keep in mind, I also hit the car with undercoating (3M) before sway bar went on. I have a couple more cans, but was thinking of saving them for door interior where I would have a hard time installing dynamat. I think I may use the dynamat over top the plastic just before door panel goes on. But, I also want to do polk audio speakers at the same time. So, that will wait. Hopefully this will do it in the handling department (already much better with sway bar), next stop will be Primacy MXV4 tires, 195/60/15 88V (to replace the poor performing in wet Cooper T rated on car now). For the above parts, I dealt directly with GT Spec, I guess they have limited quantities of the above, so if you want any, get a hold of them asap. After this, I have to do tires on the wifes car, she's getting Michelin upgrade too. Anyone have on that size tire ? (195/60/15) It seems just slightly wider and taller.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
JimKellyfan

Got the bars in, having trouble uploading pics though, says I am missing a token. Handles rail like now. May put in more bars, from the Ultra racing group, the lower side bars, room bar, the front 3 point fender bars, the rear torsion bar or a hitch.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Awesome! If you're having trouble posting pics first make sure they're not to big. Not sure how you're trying to attach them but you can click "manage attachements" if you scroll down on your reply, or you can use a photohosting site like photobucket.

I still need to get the rest of the GT-spec bracing, but will in time.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote