Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Self driving car kills its first pedestrian!

Well it finally happened... i’ve always wondered who would be held responsible for such a tragedy seems like it would have to be the manufacturer.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/19...l-charges.html
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Welcome to the future, and our grand dystopia in-the-making.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
bronsin

Also interesting ... there was a driver ready to take control of the vehicle in case of a problem ....So much for that idea I wonder how that will affect people’s perception of someone being able to take control of these cars. Obviously in this case it didn’t happen.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
I normally am not a sue happy person, but Uber needs it’s pants sued off for this. This instance could set a precedence of how companies are treated with relation to automated vehicles and they must be made an example of. Then manufactures of automated tech will think twice about pushing this Jetson’s themed agenda.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
bronsin

Companies like Uber aren’t dumb. The question of liability for their product must have occurred to them long before this and also the fact that they are the deep pockets and vulnerable to litigation. I’m wondering what legal steps they have taken to protect themselves? And if those steps will become a parent in the days to come.

Or..... are they as clueless as to the legal Ramifications of their situation as they apparently were clueless as to the dangers of their product?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Title should read: Pedestrian walls in front of car

Self driven or not the person would have likely died, which is why you look both ways when crossing the street
Old 03-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
bronsin

Yes what you say is most likely true. When pedestrians are killed by cars 70% of the time it’s the pedestrians fault. However artificial intelligence is supposed to prevent accidents no matter who’s at fault.

Already we have artificial intelligence in cars sold to the public who’s commercials show a child walking front of a car at a crosswalk. The driver who is not paying attention doesn’t hurt the child thanks to the artificial intelligence of the car.

Since these cars have been driving around for quite some time, it should be possible to statistically determine whether they are any safer and how much safer then human operation. There have been many non-fatal accidents with them and one fatal accident involving a Tesla. It would be interesting to see the statistics.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #8
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Self-driving cars aren't going anywhere. This is a terrible situation and although we don't yet know all the facts one thing is certain- a person died. Are we rushing maybe a little too fast with this technology? Of course! However, this(like so many things) comes down to money. Companies such as ride-share services and freight companies stand to save A TON with this technology. Automobile manufacturers will have another reason to raise prices and even the insurance companies will be able to lower their risk(eventually).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/self-...210826199.html

The above article shows some of the statistics you ask about. They do nothing for the victims' families, but the courts will figure out who should be held responsible. My guess is soon we will see laws protecting these companies and the manufacturers. Money talks.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
bronsin

That was interesting to read although I didn’t see any statistics compiled from existing data on self driving cars. I to expect The real prospect of laws protecting manufactures and I expect they already know how to cover their ass.

It’s a complicated situation. I am in favor of cheaper cars not more expensive cars. We already have enough safety stuff. However I have Parkinson’s and maybe a self driving car would be in my interest at some point. However I doubt I’ll be able to afford it.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
bronsin

New information in the pedestrian death with self driving vehicle ....

And it’s worse for Uber. The predestrian was walking from left to right in front of the vehicle. This means that there was plenty of time to for the car to react to the pedestrian. Had the pedestrian been walking from right to left there would have been much less time. Furthermore it’s been noted that the pedestrian was not in the crosswalk. As though that were a mitigating factor. It’s clear that even had the pedestrian been in the crosswalk this accident still would’ve happened.

It’s going to be a lot harder for Uber to explain why it’s technology didn’t work.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Or why the attendant behind the wheel didnt intervene.

We talked about this at work, and while theres alot of fist shaking here about how autonomous cars are supposed to prevent this, the truth is everything is still very much experimental,

the pedestrian was jaywalking which assumes her own life into her hands, and this time it happened to be an autonomous car.

that's how I see it.

that said, I'm also interested in how to prevent this in the future, is there a way to install infrared sensors and run a computer program to distinguish humanoid shapes from backgrounds and calculate speed and trajectory? If all that tech could be installed and tested I think it would reduce the chances of something like this occurring, that said if it's too sensitive then you get a car jamming on its brakes everytime a human sneezes.

this brought me to the realization in the proper future with technology we need to change the infrastructure of how cities are built to adapt walkways separate from autonomous roads.
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #12
bronsin

And I think I learned to drive 74 beetle with four wheel drum brakes manually adjusted, no ABS, no traction control, no cruise control, no Lane holding feature, no automatic braking anything.

And I’m still in one piece!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
And I think I learned to drive 74 beetle with four wheel drum brakes manually adjusted, no ABS, no traction control, no cruise control, no Lane holding feature, no automatic braking anything.

And I’m still in one piece!
Ahhh,... the good ol’ days!
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #14
bronsin

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/22...-released.html
Old 03-22-2018, 02:48 AM   #15
bronsin

It’s pretty clear from the released videos that one, the detection system failed to see the cycle list and prevent the accident. Two there was nothing the “safety driver“ could have done to prevent what happened. In my opinion the fault lies with the cycle list for crossing a dark road not in the crosswalk. It’s not the drivers fault. There’s nothing they could’ve humanly done to prevent the accident. But the car with radar and lidar should have seen the cyclist and prevented the accident.

Perhaps Uber will be found responsible for testing a car in public that could not have prevented the accident. If this was just a human driver driving a car in this circumstance in my Opinion the authorities would blame the cycle is not the driver.

Also it appears the car was doing 38 mph in aI 35 mile an hour zone. Which is technically speaking speeding and might be held against Uber. But if I we’re on a jury I would still blame the cyclist for the accident.

Last edited by bronsin; 03-22-2018 at 03:08 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:11 AM   #16
bronsin

It’s also pretty clear Uber better stop using “safety drivers“ to prevent accidents. There’s not a damn thing the driver could’ve done to prevent the accident in my opinion.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #17
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I honestly believe it boils down to what I've pointed out in other threads on the topic - once we have a statistically significant amount of data on self driving cars and can determine they are responsible for less deaths per year than human drivers, then self driving cars will simply makes sense.

Unfortunately, it's going to take some time to get to that inflection point and more people will die --but it's not as though thousands of people aren't dying now because of human error. I will also reiterate that I personally hope we never get to a point where only self driving cars are allowed on the road. I enjoy driving and would always like to have the option.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #18
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Unfortunately, it's going to take some time to get to that inflection point and more people will die --but it's not as though thousands of people aren't dying now because of human error. I will also reiterate that I personally hope we never get to a point where only self driving cars are allowed on the road. I enjoy driving and would always like to have the option.
I think in bigger nations ( US specifically) we cannot in any shape or form get rid of roads and personal operated vehicles as a whole, that said If you live in urban America, i think it is completely reasonable to have sort of a two vehicle garage, one with a gas.hybrid for long road trips (cause face it, that wont go away) and the other being a self driving all electric gizmo

Like I mentioned I think the infrastructure of cities need to be changed so they are more "autonomous" but more nimble than say a train (be it subway, el or metra) course I also want a cyber punk future with people living in buildings and elevated glass walk ways and jet packs...
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote