Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Photography Talk (Split Thread)

(Original thread can be found here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306)

So you're doing this for photography????? Quite a project. I'm a photographer as well, but only B+W landscapes, so I don't need to carry too much gear. In fact I try to keep it down to a small back-pack in size, as I often have to hike to location. You must be doing weddings or commercial stuff, model shoots etc. I know it's off topic, but what gear are you using????

Last edited by tk-421; 09-20-2009 at 06:51 PM.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Well, the gear I'm stowing in this is an onsite printing rig - basically a kiosk setup so people can find and order photos. So it's a few pelican cases full of monitors, computers, stands, printers, supplies, etc. I shoot with a Canon 1D MKII and a variety of lenses - the FlyBall stuff this setup is for is mainly shot with the 135/2L although I do some stuff with the 35/1.4L and 85/1.8.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
ricko

Thanks for the info Idjiit. A very impressive set-up, much more high-tech than what I use. What printer, ink and paper combinations do you use?
I sell framed B+W prints of the Georgian Bay area through local galleries, so obviously on-site printing is not a requirement for me. I currently use Nikon film and digital cameras, Nikon lenses, and an Epson 1280 printer. I am limited to a max print size of 12"x16" by my equipment, but that doesn't seem to be an issue at this point. Thanks agin for the info, and I wish you continued success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House Near Duntroon #2 - fall '05 (8x12) b+w net.jpg (58.5 KB, 663 views)
Old 04-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Nice work.

Onsite we print with Epson PictureMates believe it or not. They're 4x6 printers, but these use the UltraChrome inks, so combined with the InkPress papers we use, the prints look pretty darned good. Back at the office we use an Epson R800 which is definitely much nicer. We typically do not get orders for prints larger for that, and for gallery showings for my other work I use wet process prints. A lot of the stuff I do is extremely high-ISO - most of it is between ISO 1600-6400 - so doing really big prints isn't feasible, even with the great quality we get with the various Canon bodies we use.

The paying stuff we do is dog sports:

My "personal" work is pretty varied, from standard portraiture type stuff:

To concert photography:

To my work with the Carolina RollerGirls:

To shooting for http://www.suicidegirls.com (warning: link is not work safe):
Old 04-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
Well, the gear I'm stowing in this is an onsite printing rig - basically a kiosk setup so people can find and order photos. So it's a few pelican cases full of monitors, computers, stands, printers, supplies, etc. I shoot with a Canon 1D MKII and a variety of lenses - the FlyBall stuff this setup is for is mainly shot with the 135/2L although I do some stuff with the 35/1.4L and 85/1.8.
That's a fair bit of gear. Have you considered also a roof pod? They are lockable and probably suited to your bulky but "lighter" items and keep the important things inside the cabin area?

Btw, nice pics... good to see photogs here. I wish I could sell my pics but then again, I don't setup stalls to sell them. I haven't found a really cost effective way to frame up things. To make matters worse, I vary from different genré but I do get a kick out of doing photojournalism involving people. Just need that 1D2. :)
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Eh, not many people need the MKII. ;) Even Canon's entry-level cameras can produce stunning photos. We have an XT as well, which I absolutely adore. Can't really use it for sports work though, which is why I have the MKII.

As for storage... A roof pod won't really work. First off, it's not secure enough, and second of all the cases are awkward enough that it would be very difficult to get them up there. We're talking about around 150-200lbs of gear, so inside the car is best. The idea is to have casual thieves not even notice anything is in there, and then there's the alarm and the locking decks if they try to go for it.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
ricko

Excellent images Idjiit, and you are right the PictureMate does a fine job with the small stuff. I've found that the demand for the big prints just isn't there for me. Most of my sales are 8x10 and 11x14 framed prints. In the future I hope to buy an Epson 2400, for it's superior B+W performance and archival qualities. Nice seeing your stuff.
To Smelly ..... I don't know where you live, but you might start by trying to get a "show" at a local restaurant or coffee shop. Offer to display your work for 4-6 weeks, and give them a 30-40% cut on sales they make on your behalf. Have an "opening" and invite all your friends for a real party. With any luck you'll sell a couple of prints, and cover the costs of your framing. If not your friends and family will get framed prints for Christmas. In any event the experience alone is worth the cost.
BTW - Do your own framing, it isn't that difficult and is a whole lot cheaper.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Well, for photojournalism, nothing beats that deep buffer (RAW shooter only).. I've got a 10D and 350D and whilst it's adequate for everything that's not photojournalism and motor sports (that I tend to do more of but really don't really "like" doing), it's fine for everything else.

I wasn't saying to put precious stuff there. I was referring to stuff like banners.. light stuff. I wouldn't put any cases up there. Having driven interstate in a Yaris, whilst it was fine with 2 people aboard, if I was to carry anything more, I'd consider a roof pod.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #9
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
excellent photos guys
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
BTW - Do your own framing, it isn't that difficult and is a whole lot cheaper.
Yeah, I have to get the cutters and some practice to get that right. I've got some of the boards to cut.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
ricko

Great shot Smelly, you should consider organizing a show. You don't need fancy expensive frames, the ones I use cost less than $30 (Can.) including mats.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
ricko

BTW - I use pre-cut mats, but cutting your own is cheaper.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
SmellyTofu
好多人&

I think I am getting confused with borders and frames. I meant borders... I just think doing frames might be an individual thing. Some people might not like the frame I put them in.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
ricko

When you start ........ frame the way YOU think looks best for your work, and what fits your budget. Any time someone shows interest, you can always offer to sell them the print alone, so they can make their own framing choices OR you can offer to do the framing according to their tastes.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Thx for the tips. I'm starting to gather some fairly acceptable shots so I might as well start making prints out of them.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:24 PM   #16
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
I wasn't saying to put precious stuff there. I was referring to stuff like banners.. light stuff. I wouldn't put any cases up there. Having driven interstate in a Yaris, whilst it was fine with 2 people aboard, if I was to carry anything more, I'd consider a roof pod.
The big problem really is the cases. There's not enough "light stuff" to justify external storage. The only thing that isn't cases is our weekend clothing bag, a camera bag and the dogs.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #17
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Idjiit, this is sort of unrelated to the thread, but what do you think about the Olympus Evolt series of Digital SLRs for someone like me, hobbyist photographer. I'm thinking about the E-500, 8.1 Megapixel, compatible with all Zuiko digital-specific lenses. It also uses CompactFlash and xD for storage which is what my entire collection of flash media currently consists of anyway.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #18
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit

To shooting for http://www.suicidegirls.com (warning: link is not work safe):

if you ever need any help loading & unloading during anyone of ur SG shoots....let me know.