Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #91
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Dynomax vt. Quiet until you lean on the throttle. No drone.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #92
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
I got one of these sitting in my shop. Decided to install it so I ordered a Cat and resonator from Magnaflow. Gonna cut it up later this week and weld it all together, see what this set up sounds like. I'll post a video after.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #93
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
MagnaFlow is a good choice.

I run a Weapon R 4-2-1 header, and Garm's MagnaFlow center exit exhaust with a stainless steel resonator tip. It sounds super deep and mellow with no drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL4CcjF8Z18

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #94
Rigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
MagnaFlow is a good choice.

I run a Weapon R 4-2-1 header, and Garm's MagnaFlow center exit exhaust with a stainless steel resonator tip. It sounds super deep and mellow with no drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL4CcjF8Z18

Greg
Oh thank you Greg. That's sounds exactly like what I did on other cars. Your car sounds awesome.
The resonator I got is too long but I have all the tools (toys) in the shop at work to cut open and shorten it. I absolutely need to install the Catalyctic converter on it too because here if I get caught I get a nasty ticket plus sent to inspection.

Also a 1ZZ TB sitting in my home shop to be installed.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #95
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Oh thank you Greg. That's sounds exactly like what I did on other cars. Your car sounds awesome.
The resonator I got is too long but I have all the tools (toys) in the shop at work to cut open and shorten it. I absolutely need to install the Catalyctic converter on it too because here if I get caught I get a nasty ticket plus sent to inspection.

Also a 1ZZ TB sitting in my home shop to be installed.
Cool.

Don't forget to knock off the epoxy from the tiny factory adjusted hex head idle screw and turn it out one turn counter clockwise... before you install it. You'll be glad you did...

(screw is at top center of photo just to the left of the nut)

The butter fly is set to idle a 1.8 engine which is way too far open to idle a 1.5. If you don't turn it down, the ECU will go crazy trying to find an idle outside of its operating parameters.

Greg
Old 05-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #96
Rigaud

Hi Greg, thanks for the info!

I installed my OBX exhaust line last night with a Magnaflow Cat and resonator. I cut the resonator shorter to fit, the one I had was too long. All rewelded like the way it was purchased. My header, a 4-1 of low quality (better then stock manifold) was missing the bung for the sensor, another item to drill a hole for and mig weld. Got it all done and I was pleasantly surprised with the front to rear line. No drumming at all or resonance through the floor. Nice deep sound up to 2500 - 2700 but higher then that and it's too loud for street driving. Gonna pick up some medium and fine stainless steel wool and cut open the muffler. Might redirect the internals depending how it flows too.

As for the 1ZZ TB, that went well and I really don't understand why people use a union to bypass the coolant lines. One of the hoses is placed just right and long enough to simply cancel one hose and use the other to connect in a loop. Voila.......solved. Removed the epoxy on the idle setscrew but haven't turned it yet. I did the chip swap while everything was plugged in. Drilled the rivets, swapped and new rivets. I messed up my intake tube so I made the stock tube and airbox fit, no issues with anything at all. That's temporary till I get it done right with my K7N cone filter.

Sorry Greg, I saw your response after I did it. I have a 2700 rpm cold start up and it lasts 20-30 secs and goes down but warm idle is at around 1000rpm. I'll adjust the idle with the engine and ignition off. Proper idle will solve that high idle Code I got, settle it at around 750rpm. Now I need to get a quicker response, anything I can do or add (module) to rectify the response time?

Cheers
John

Old 06-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #97
chris1986
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris P1F 2004 D4D
If i understand correctly the obx system would also fit the mk1 yaris 1999-2005?

I have a diesel yaris so maybe need to modify the part that meets the header
chris1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #98
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Hi Greg, thanks for the info!

Sorry Greg, I saw your response after I did it. I have a 2700 rpm cold start up and it lasts 20-30 secs and goes down but warm idle is at around 1000rpm. I'll adjust the idle with the engine and ignition off. Proper idle will solve that high idle Code I got, settle it at around 750rpm.
It's ok, no harm done. Mine ran high until and drove the ECU crazy hunting around in vain for an idle until I figured it out.

One hint: make damn sure that the allen wrench you put into that little screw fits tight, because it does not want to turn, and you do not want to strip the head. Use a magnifying glass to determine that all of the epoxy is knocked off. Penetrating oil can help it to break free. When it moves, it will make a satisfying cracking sound and you're home free. I found that about one counterclockwise turn closes the butterfly enough to get a good stable idle. After I got mine where I wanted it, I simply put a little dab of clear silicone caulk to make sure it stays there.

Quote:
Now I need to get a quicker response, anything I can do or add (module) to rectify the response time?

Cheers
John
By quicker response, do you mean quicker opening or quicker closing?

My Yaris has always been slow to close (long throttle hang time) from the very first day I bought it brand new bone stock. I'd get one of those aftermarket throttle control thingies except there's no way to confirm if they will actually cause the butterfly to close faster than stock. So I've gotten used to compensating by letting off the gas first without touching the clutch pedal, waiting a beat, and then shifting.

Greg
Old 06-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #99
Rigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
It's ok, no harm done. Mine ran high until and drove the ECU crazy hunting around in vain for an idle until I figured it out.

One hint: make damn sure that the allen wrench you put into that little screw fits tight, because it does not want to turn, and you do not want to strip the head. Use a magnifying glass to determine that all of the epoxy is knocked off. Penetrating oil can help it to break free. When it moves, it will make a satisfying cracking sound and you're home free. I found that about one counterclockwise turn closes the butterfly enough to get a good stable idle. After I got mine where I wanted it, I simply put a little dab of clear silicone caulk to make sure it stays there.

By quicker response, do you mean quicker opening or quicker closing?

My Yaris has always been slow to close (long throttle hang time) from the very first day I bought it brand new bone stock. I'd get one of those aftermarket throttle control thingies except there's no way to confirm if they will actually cause the butterfly to close faster than stock. So I've gotten used to compensating by letting off the gas first without touching the clutch pedal, waiting a beat, and then shifting.

Greg
Thanks Greg.

I'll continue this dialogue we got going on my thread so we don't throw this one off the rails. hehehe

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...172#post739172

Old 09-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #100
07dirtyaris
&

Drives: meteorite metal 07 Hatch
I just installed the OBX exhaust. I paid 175 including shipping from Sparktec. I couldn't pass it up for that price. It is a Cat delete full exhaust. It measured 2 1/4 OD and just under 2 1/8 ID. Hangers were all in the right spot. O2 bung was there, but will def need a non fouler since I set off they CEL within the first 25 min of driving. It has a nice deep tone to it, mid RPM it has a slight fart can sound, you won't be mistaken for a civic but it's there.. It has a good scream when up around the limiter. I'll post some videos and pics in a couple days. Overall I am happy with the purchase. I put a magnet to it and it didn't stick so I'm guessing its actually SS and not chromed metal. It was a fairly easy install. One of the manifold bolts was a b*tch to get off. Got new bolts and gasket to connect it to manifold and made sure to put anti sieze so I wouldn't have that same problem. One thing that helped me out a lot when installing the bolts to the manifold I compressed the springs and put zipties on them to keep them compressed, and cut them off once I had the bolts in the threads. Also ground down the retainer on the bolts just a little, if you get one you'll know what I'm talking about.
My final plan for it is to cut the muffler off and put a 100 cell catalytic converter where it was with a 7 inch resonated tip. That will hopefully be done in a few weeks when I go visit my parents and have access to a welder. I'll post up some pics and vids of that as well when I get it done.
07dirtyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #101
Rigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dirtyaris View Post
I just installed the OBX exhaust. I paid 175 including shipping from Sparktec. I couldn't pass it up for that price. It is a Cat delete full exhaust. It measured 2 1/4 OD and just under 2 1/8 ID. Hangers were all in the right spot. O2 bung was there, but will def need a non fouler since I set off they CEL within the first 25 min of driving. It has a nice deep tone to it, mid RPM it has a slight fart can sound, you won't be mistaken for a civic but it's there.. It has a good scream when up around the limiter. I'll post some videos and pics in a couple days. Overall I am happy with the purchase. I put a magnet to it and it didn't stick so I'm guessing its actually SS and not chromed metal. It was a fairly easy install. One of the manifold bolts was a b*tch to get off. Got new bolts and gasket to connect it to manifold and made sure to put anti sieze so I wouldn't have that same problem. One thing that helped me out a lot when installing the bolts to the manifold I compressed the springs and put zipties on them to keep them compressed, and cut them off once I had the bolts in the threads. Also ground down the retainer on the bolts just a little, if you get one you'll know what I'm talking about.
My final plan for it is to cut the muffler off and put a 100 cell catalytic converter where it was with a 7 inch resonated tip. That will hopefully be done in a few weeks when I go visit my parents and have access to a welder. I'll post up some pics and vids of that as well when I get it done.
I had no choice but to instal a cat, driven on the street and don't feel like getting towed plus a fine. I used a freeflow cat from Magnaflow and also used a 6" dia. muffler custom cut shorter as a resonator. Second year with this system and all is A1.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:32 AM   #102
07dirtyaris
&

I finally got video of the OBX exhaust.
https://youtu.be/Pd999uXGkEA
I have others where im driving on a closed off timber road up in Michigan. (My dad said he was able to hear it screaming through the forrests almost 2 miles away!)They are on my phone with a broken screen!! as soon as i fix it ill post those up here as well. I didnt get the time to put on the cat and resonator and cut the muffler like i planned a couple weeks back. wiring up my switches took up more time than i expected.

The exhaust did set off a CEL. I bought a BLOX Racing Check engine light remover adapter for 10.XX on Amazon. I have driven almost 1500 miles since i put it on and have not had a CEL go off.

Last edited by 07dirtyaris; 10-19-2015 at 02:43 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 10-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #103
tykeeler

Hey everyone, I just installed my obx last night and man is it loud! Took it on a test drive and all went well. It did not match up with 2014's original hangars, so some modifications were made. I'll post a video later today.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
tykeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #104
tykeeler

Well after driving for about 30 miles the CEL came on even with the spacer...

Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #105
07dirtyaris
&

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykeeler View Post
Well after driving for about 30 miles the CEL came on even with the spacer...
That sucks.. I'm guessing you reset your ecu so it would relearn with the open exhaust on there. That's all I did on mine and it is still working like a charm. Besides that how do you like it?

I know Garm made a spacer that was supposed to do the trick on our yaris. Maybe somebody has one of those or he still has one left somewhere. Or others who have this exhaust could chime in!
Old 10-31-2015, 10:31 PM   #106
tykeeler

I love it. I reset the computer this morning and so far so good. Hopefully it stays off.